Cervelli?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Cervelli?

Post by mouse »

Reports are out that the Pirates are shopping Cervelli. P2 has a note on it and there is this note as well --

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/re ... ar-BBQeeJv

The sense I have is that the Pirates are a touch short on catchers as it is (my thoughts colored by that recent year when they needed so many). With Cervelli's health issues, though, I can understand exploring trades.
fjk090852-7

Cervelli?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just because they are shopping him, does not mean they will trade him. If they would find a match for a deal, they may want a catcher in return as part of the package.
Bobster21

Cervelli?

Post by Bobster21 »

I think it's just common sense to see if anyone is interested in taking 11.5 million off their payroll for a catcher who is frequently unavailable while they have a good and much cheaper option in Diaz. But I doubt they will find a taker.
SCBucco

Cervelli?

Post by SCBucco »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: I think it's just common sense to see if anyone is interested in taking 11.5 million off their payroll for a catcher who is frequently unavailable while they have a good and much cheaper option in Diaz. But I doubt they will find a taker. 

Agree with this. Diaz is more than capable of putting up Cervelli numbers. That said, we have NOTHING of any sorts behind him and out system is devoid of catching prospects. Pittsburgh is more interested in cutting salary once again. I would be interested if they found a taker and REINVESTED that 11.5 million on something that helps.
BucsFaninGA

Cervelli?

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I understand the thinking behind entertaining offers on Francisco. And accept it. Dang our team has had some darn good catchers in my lifetime...

Smokey Burgess

Jim Paglaroni

Jerry May

Manny Sanguillen

Milt May

Steve Nicosia

Tony Pena

Spanky and Sluggo

Jason Kendall

Russell Martin

Francisco Cervelli

Would hate to see him go...Diaz looks like he is ready to handle the pitching staff though. If they deal Franky, I hope they get quality in return and Francisco goes to a team that is a winner. He certainly has given it his all as a Bucco...Would love to see him come back as a coach. The guy has a ton of personality and appears to be a good teacher. Will be interesting to see what Neal can get for Francisco....If not, I know he will do his darnedest wearing the tools of ignorance another season... 8-)
Quail

Cervelli?

Post by Quail »

Cervelli might bring back some bullpen help. If NH does make such a deal, I suspect he'll be satisfied that his off season work is done.
CTBucco

Cervelli?

Post by CTBucco »

This comes down to the question of whether or not you see Diaz as a starting catcher. If you think he can start 100-120 games and give you the kind of offense he provided last year, then it makes a lot of sense to trade Cervelli. The money saved will surely buy a decent backup C from the FA market (or, more likely, a Larvarnway-esque guy for Indy) AND help fill one of the other holes (SS, SP depth, LHRP).

I get that, given where the payroll is, they shouldn't need to save money at this point to afford to fill the other holes. It's also true that Frankie+Diaz gave us good catching every day whereas Diaz+Stallings or Diaz+FA_backup will be a downgrade. The question is whether the whoever Cervelli's salary and return in trade provide more of an upgrade than that downgrade (probably about ~1.5 WAR?)?
BenM

Cervelli?

Post by BenM »

I'm with Bobster. Headed into free agency season, Cervelli is currently the fourth highest paid catcher in MLB. Combined with his concussion history, I don't see many (any?) takers unless this is a straight up salary dump with the Bucs kicking in salary.
SCBucco

Cervelli?

Post by SCBucco »

5C786C64610D0 wrote: Cervelli might bring back some bullpen help. If NH does make such a deal, I suspect he'll be satisfied that his off season work is done.

Trade Cervelli for prospects and do a trade or claim Jonathan Schoop who is supposedly going to be non tendered by Milwaukee. Problem solved.
Ecbucs

Cervelli?

Post by Ecbucs »

56717A59140 wrote: I'm with Bobster. Headed into free agency season, Cervelli is currently the fourth highest paid catcher in MLB. Combined with his concussion history, I don't see many (any?) takers unless this is a straight up salary dump with the Bucs kicking in salary.

it depends on how free agency shakes out.

Grandel from Dodgers will probably get a big deal.

Wilson Ramos will get a big deal

Kurt Suzuki signed for two years and 10 million.

I think Cervelli is worth more than a salary dump but I could see the Bucs keeping him too. If he is dealt, there is no catching depth after Diaz (no one who appears to be capable of being a starter any time soon).