NH considered for Giants President of Baseball Ops . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Have seen this on The Athletic and an article on P2 about this. Here is a link from the PG on Monday.

Seems that big market teams seem to like what NH has done with the limited resources he has been given by cheapskate Nutting. Take a look.

Huntingdon considered for Giants top position
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

On Monday at the Winter Meetings Neal Huntington spoke to the Pittsburgh media about the opportunity that arose with the Giants and his desire to stay with the Pirates. The bottom line of his desire to remain, was he said there is unfinished business to do for the Pirates. In this day of coaches, managers as well as the players grabbing the most money offered, I respect Huntington’s decision. He could have easily taken the money offered by the Giants, and worked with a budget that well surpassed 100 million dollars per year. He could have sat down with high profile free agent players, and made contact offers which exceeded 20 million dollars per season. No, he decided to remain with the Pirates and work with a team owner and president who are very budget conscious. I will admit that some of Neal’s player acquisition moves have failed, but I respect him for not wanting to jump ship for what would appear to be a much better opportunity. He has a tough mountain to climb, but I hope he can complete the unfinished business.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Would love to see something positive come out of this GM time at the helm with Bottom Line Bob pulling the strings...Neal has more patience than I as I would have told Nutting to go jump years ago...Beat'em Bucs :-X
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

252928737A737B76716E74430 wrote: On Monday at the Winter Meetings Neal  Huntington spoke to the Pittsburgh media about the opportunity  that arose with the Giants and his desire to stay with the Pirates. The bottom line of  his desire to remain, was he said there is unfinished business to do for the Pirates. In this day of coaches, managers as well as the players grabbing the most money offered, I respect Huntington’s decision. He could have easily taken the money offered by the Giants, and worked with a budget that well surpassed 100 million dollars per year. He could have sat down with high profile free agent players, and made contact offers which exceeded 20 million dollars per season. No, he decided to remain with the Pirates and work with a team owner and president who are very budget conscious. I will admit that some of Neal’s player acquisition moves have failed, but I respect him for not wanting to jump ship for what would appear to be a much better opportunity. He has a tough mountain to climb, but I hope he can complete the unfinished business.

Maybe it's noble of him. But he certainly has to know he'll never have the resources from Nutting he needs to build a championship team. He saw what happened when they made it to the post season and had record attendance only to begin shedding payroll and hoping to win 78-82 games. I think he's got great job security with Nutting. Nutting is satisfied with the team because money is the priority. NH is only expected to make minor moves to tread water, i.e., remain semi-competitive without the bottom falling out. A new GM won't do any better under the same financial constraints. If NH takes a job with a franchise that expects him to create a champion and provides the resources, the pressure is on to produce or be fired. As long as he's Nutting's GM, he can have job security while enjoying the perception that he could do better elsewhere. But actually going elsewhere puts him in the position of having to prove he can get the job done. Maybe he'd rather not take that risk.

The other possibility is that he might have been informed he was a longshot for the SF job and wanted to spin it to the Pittsburgh media so that there was not the perception that he wanted to leave. The only thing that doesn't make actual sense is the comment that he has unfinished business with the Pirates because he has to know better than anyone else that Nutting will never provide the resources for that.