Hey - Bet We Get a Lefty for Depth

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I see where the Padres have released Clayton Richards. Didn't have a good 2018, but hey, he will be cheap - major league minimum - he is a lefty, and he has been a starter. Did I also mention that he was cheap.

Obviously, I am doing nothing more than speculating here. But, after seeing that the Pirates were not in on Happ or Morton, and seeing the amount that both Harvey and Cahill managed to secure in contracts, Richards looks like the type of pitcher that NH would target.

He has Vogelsong written all over him, particularly since he was a Pirate in the past.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Geez, Mainer you sure did get me all excited with the thread title soooo close to Christmas. Then you just let us down with this being just speculation and not for a really good pitcher other than he is cheap!

So as the only guy on OBN rotund enough to play Santa I put you on my naughty list and you can plan to see a lump of coal and a rotten potato in your stocking on Christmas morning! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

if the 2015 version of Richard couldn't crack the Pirates roster, i'm not sure this years version will.

but yeah they'll prob offer another Spring Traning invite
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Yea, Clayton was a Bucco for a short time...Would like to think they will look at other options, but given their past history, he may be considered once again. Jaime Garcia is someone I would like to see them go after. He wasn't bad when he pitched here in Atlanta back in 2017. And he was better than average when a Redbird, but hurt a lot. Bea'tem Bucs!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you Bucco Fans! 8-)
mouse

Post by mouse »

I see the Cardinals got Andrew Miller, who would be a comparable pitcher (if you don't look at stats or follow baseball). 11MM in the first year.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Well --- looks like my prediction was wrong as the Blue Jays get Richards for a less than middling prospect and agreeing to pay half of his $3 mil salary.

I will take not acquiring Richards as a good move for this off-season.

With so little activity on the Bucs front, will need to mostly credit non-moves rather than real moves.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

There are a lot of rumblings about the overall lack of offseason activity. This isn't just a Pirate thing.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Dodgers looking to clear salary to win the Bryce Harper sweepstakes:

Cervelli and his $11.5 salary to Dodgers for Rich Hill.

Rich Hill owed $18 million in the final year of his contract becomes the perfect lefty to make a difference on our really decent group of starting pitchers -- with him we become a Top 5 pitching staff.

Dodgers clear an additional $7 million in salary, heck we throw in $3 million and Dodgers clear $10 million and we take a low level Latino player in addition.

Another $10 million is the Harper difference. To get there Dodgers need to move a big contract.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

0627323B033A21322736530 wrote: Dodgers looking to clear salary to win the Bryce Harper sweepstakes:

Cervelli and his $11.5 salary to Dodgers for Rich Hill.

Rich Hill owed $18 million in the final year of his contract becomes the perfect lefty to make a difference on our really decent group of starting pitchers -- with him we become a Top 5 pitching staff.

Dodgers clear an additional $7 million in salary, heck we throw in $3 million and Dodgers clear $10 million and we take a low level Latino player in addition.

Another $10 million is the Harper difference. To get there Dodgers need to move a big contract.
I like your thinking, but doubt the Bucs will pony up the cash. Like you, I am holding out hope for a lefty hurler, but expect someone <$3M. Seems to be the Pirates way.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Utah

Although Hill is often hurt more than he is healthy --- not unlike Cervelli --- I really like your thinking.

What I particularly like about the deal is that Hill is a 1 year commitment. We add a quality LH starter for an affordable contract (with the subtraction of Cervelli's salary). Also --- if the team drops out of contention, Hill could be a good trade chip come June/July; and a much better chip than Cervelli.

I believe it may be hard to expand the deal beyond your initial suggestion unless there is a particularly appealing minor prospect that LA would essentially be willing to sell to free up even more cash.

The Bucs would obviously need to do some dumpster diving at catcher, but after watching the Brewers make the play-offs last year with Kratz at catcher leads me to believe that there are worse spots on your roster to have some no-hit (cheap) veteranoisity.

NH --- Time to call the Dodgers.