Welcome back, Jeff Banister.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Banny hired as a special assistant. Too bad his managing stint didn't work out better, but he seems like a nice guy with good baseball knowledge.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Good hire if they don't waste him.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

JB won division titles his first two years in Texas. Not bad!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

“Jeff Banister returns to the Pirates as a valuable resource, instructor and advisor for our front office, Major League team and player development system,” Huntington said in a statement.

Sounds like he will be more involved with the overall organization than with the major league club. If so, that's probably a good idea. So many players lack fundamentals when they come thru the minors. And the front office sure could use some instruction and advice. Sounds like they may also consult with him on matters regarding the major league team, but I don't see anyone telling Hurdle how to manage (altho that wouldn't be a bad idea).
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Let’s get the gang back together. Bring back Martin, walker and Alvarez
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If Banister doesn’t get another managerial job during the next 3 years, he may be the replacement for Hurdle when his contract expires.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I hope the two Special Assistants ( Eckstein and Banister) which the Pirates hired this weekend will help teach developmental baseball skills to some of the younger Pirate players. We all will agree the Bucs base running skills are often very unsatisfactory. I wish David Eckstein could teach players such as Newman, Frazier, Tucker and Kramer to become the type of scrappy player he was whenever he played. He wasn’t a superstar, but he could beat you with his bat, glove, or his legs.