Dodgers get Russ Martin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

pghpaulatl

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by pghpaulatl »

Dodgers acquired C Russell Martin and cash from the Blue Jays for SS Ronny Brito and RHP Andrew Sopko
BenM

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by BenM »

Between Tulo and Russ, it sounds like the Jays will have a lot of dead money on their hands this season.
MaineBucs

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by MaineBucs »

I can hear the opening day announcement now ---

And starting for your Pittsburgh Pirates at catcher - Francisco Cervelli.

Obviously, I have no idea regarding the supposed discussions between the Pirates and the Dodgers, but for a moment, regardless of how brief of a moment that it was, I was hoping that the two could work out a deal.

Looks like the Jays were more desperate to move Martin.
Bobster21

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by Bobster21 »

674B43444F685F49592A0 wrote: I can hear the opening day announcement now ---

Obviously, I have no idea regarding the supposed discussions between the Pirates and the Dodgers, but for a moment, regardless of how brief of a moment that it was, I was hoping that the two could work out a deal. 

I just don't see why any team would want to acquire Cervelli. He misses too many games with injuries. In particular, his history of concussions results in him frequently missing games on the concussion protocol even if he doesn't go on the DL. He's always 1 foul tip off the mask away from missing games. It works well for the Pirates because they have an equally able catcher in Diaz. But most teams don't have a backup as good as the starting catcher and would suffer a drop off if they acquired Cervelli and he missed a lot of games. And if they already have such a catcher on their roster, there is no need to acquire Cervelli. It's not even a question of getting the Pirates to pay a chunk of his salary. If he can't play, he's of no use regardless of what a team is paying him. I expect Cervelli and Diaz to again share the Pirates' catching. Cervelli is a free agent after the season and could be dealt at the Aug 31 trade deadline to help a team in the pennant race. Teams would be more interested in him for a short period than to count on him for the entire season.
Ecbucs

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by Ecbucs »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: I can hear the opening day announcement now ---

I just don't see why any team would want to acquire Cervelli. He misses too many games with injuries. In particular, his history of concussions results in him frequently missing games on the concussion protocol even if he doesn't go on the DL. He's always 1 foul tip off the mask away from missing games. It works well for the Pirates because they have an equally able catcher in Diaz. But most teams don't have a backup as good as the starting catcher and would suffer a drop off if they acquired Cervelli and he missed a lot of games. And if they already have such a catcher on their roster, there is no need to acquire Cervelli. It's not even a question of getting the Pirates to pay a chunk of his salary. If he can't play, he's of no use regardless of what a team is paying him. I expect Cervelli and Diaz to again share the Pirates' catching. Cervelli is a free agent after the season and could be dealt at the Aug 31 trade deadline to help a team in the pennant race. Teams would be more interested in him for a short period than to count on him for the entire season.

I bet the Bucs would have taken the deal that Blue Jays got for Martin but Dodgers wanted Martin.
OrlandoMerced

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I don’t understand why people are trying to dump cervelli. I think best case scenario is a time share with those two so that Diaz can be primed for an everyday role in 2020.
Ecbucs

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by Ecbucs »

18253B363933381A3225343233570 wrote: I don’t understand why people are trying to dump cervelli. I think best case scenario is a time share with those two so that Diaz can be primed for an everyday role in 2020.

I think it is a mixture of opinions

1. Cervelli will be free agent at end of year so get something in return for him

2. The Bucs want to move him to save money

I could see the Bucs asking him to come back in 2020 as a back-up catcher/ insurance if something happens to Diaz. However that would be for a salary lower than 5 million.
Quail

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by Quail »

516C727F707A71537B6C7D7B7A1E0 wrote: I don’t understand why people are trying to dump cervelli. I think best case scenario is a time share with those two so that Diaz can be primed for an everyday role in 2020.

Much like trading Nova rendered the strength/depth of our starting pitching staff less formidable, trading Cervelli would do the same thing at the catching position. I can't see any realistic way that trading Cervelli helps the Pirates be more competitive this coming season. So, if one is hoping for the Pirates to compete, then it would be counterintuitive to want to deal Cervelli. Perhaps those that are suggesting it, have considerably over optimistic expectations of what the potential return would be, or a lack of faith that Cervelli can stay healthy enough to help the team. I think the best case scenario you suggest is in fact the best case scenario.
Roberto218

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by Roberto218 »

If the Pirates keep Cervelli and lose him as a free agent, wouldn't we get at least a draft pick? And wouldn't that be about the same value we might get now if we traded him? Pirates need a SS and a starting pitcher. They have about $30 million in salary capacity to accomplish that and perhaps obtain some outfield depth. We don't need any more salary flexibility, we need a few more players.
Quail

Dodgers get Russ Martin

Post by Quail »

7C414C4B5C5A411C1F162E0 wrote: If the Pirates keep Cervelli and lose him as a free agent, wouldn't we get at least a draft pick? And wouldn't that be about the same value we might get now if we traded him? Pirates need a SS and a starting pitcher. They have about $30 million in salary capacity to accomplish that and perhaps obtain some outfield depth. We don't need any more salary flexibility, we need a few more players.

Yup!