Waiver claim

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Waiver claim

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The Pirates also claimed right-hander Aaron Slegers off waivers from the Minnesota Twins and designated righty Dario Agrazal for assignment. Slegers, 26, allowed eight runs and 17 hits in 13 2/3 innings for the Twins last season. He had a 3.80 ERA in 15 starts for Class AAA Rochester.

--post-gazette
OrlandoMerced

Waiver claim

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Much better use of the spot on the 40 man. Though this guys just looks like AAA depth.
SCBucco

Waiver claim

Post by SCBucco »

I have seen this movie way too many times from NH. Waiver claim today ... designated for assignment within three days. This organization isn't trying.
BenM

Waiver claim

Post by BenM »

The Pirates also claimed right-hander Aaron Slegers off waivers from the Minnesota Twins and designated righty Dario Agrazal for assignment. Slegers, 26, allowed eight runs and 17 hits in 132/3 innings for the Twins last season.

I originally read that as 132 1/3 innings and got excited.

Then I cleaned my glasses.
DemDog

Waiver claim

Post by DemDog »

7F5853703D0 wrote: The Pirates also claimed right-hander Aaron Slegers off waivers from the Minnesota Twins and designated righty Dario Agrazal for assignment. Slegers, 26, allowed eight runs and 17 hits in 132/3 innings for the Twins last season.

I originally read that as 132 1/3 innings and got excited.

Then I cleaned my glasses.
Me too and I began to wonder why the Twinkies waived him. So I cleaned my glasses too and put a space between the 3 & the 2.
MaineBucs

Waiver claim

Post by MaineBucs »

Seeing as Seigers is 6' 10", I think the Bucs signed him because they had some left-over Tyler Glasnow uniforms that they didn't know what to do with.

That said, seems like a player to try and stash at AAA.
CarolinaBucco

Waiver claim

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This sounds like the Pirates doing something just so they can say they're doing something ... even though they're not doing anything.

Look, I'm willing to cut the Pirates some slack on RF if -- that's IF -- Polanco is going to come back ahead of schedule, maybe sometime around May. If that's the case, I'm willing to accept Chisenhall as a stop-gap plan.

But they have GOT GOT GOT to go out and sign an MLB shortstop. There are still a few good, competent, proven SSs available -- all of whom would represent MAJOR upgrades over what we currently have, which is basically nothing. And OF COURSE they can afford it. Our payroll is rock bottom right now and these SS's aren't expensive. But if the Pirates announce again that they are "happy with our internal options" and go into the season with Newman/Gonzalez at SS, my head will explode.

After SS, they still need to go out and sign another proven starting pitcher, ideally a left, to bring a veteran arm to the rotation, and also to add more depth, which WILL be needed.

I swear this team drives me nuts ...
UtahPirate

Waiver claim

Post by UtahPirate »

Well I like it. Chris Young anyone?

Young was 26 or 27 when things finally clicked for him. He was a low 90's fastball guy, but was releasing it 2 to 3 feet closer to the plate that shorter guys, which made it look faster. Developed a good change-up and was a fairly serviceable starter for quite a few years.

Why not take a flyer. 6'10" is interesting!
Quail

Waiver claim

Post by Quail »

I have no problem with NH playing longshot lottery tickets with waiver-wire-claim types, and shuttling them in and out. Who knows, he might get lucky. But, I'm not really thrilled with the idea that "getting lucky" is THE PLAN for this franchise.
Ecbucs

Waiver claim

Post by Ecbucs »

785C484045290 wrote: I have no problem with NH playing longshot lottery tickets with waiver-wire-claim types, and shuttling them in and out. Who knows, he might get lucky. But, I'm not really thrilled with the idea that "getting lucky" is THE PLAN for this franchise.

getting lucky is a good plan though.  If it doesn't work you can just say it was because of bad luck not incompetence or bad decisions. Of course i never told my boss that getting lucky was the plan.