Pirates broadcaster Steve Blass to retire at end of 2019

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

"Pirates broadcaster Steve Blass to retire at end of 2019 season"

I know some don't like his style but I'll miss him. 

https://www.wtae.com/article/pirates-br ... n/25904161

Sixty seasons with the Pirates, one organization in one city, I am so very proud of that. It ranks right up there with anything I have ever done on the baseball field. It has been a wonderful run. My wife, Karen, and I felt that it was time to step away from my broadcasting duties in order to have more time to spend together and with our family and friends. I have spent many years driving by the roses, but now it is time for me to stop and smell the roses. I am very much looking forward to the 2019 season, as it will be special for me in so many ways.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Regarding Steve Blass....Sammy I will miss him as well. Steve Blass was one of my favorite Pirates. I still have his first Topps Card. Loved his determination in 71 WS. Saw him pitch a lot, even when he was trying to get his wildness under control at Triple AAA Charleston WV. Enjoy Steve as a Pirate whether he was playing or in the booth. Blass is and always will be a class act. He will be missed by this Bucco Fan...

Bucs Fan in GA 8-)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

He's one of my favorites. I attended 9 Pirate fantasy camps in Bradenton and Blass is always the unofficial MC and prankster. Very witty and entertaining. He can't show his true sense of humor on broadcasts so it is there but somewhat muted. But in person he's a riot. He's also a very nice person. After his career ended he was afraid to pitch to anyone and didn't even try until one of the fantasy camps. I was the first person he pitched to. In 2012 I suffered a major health issue. Steve called me to see how I was doing and mentioned me that night on a broadcast. He's wildly entertaining but also a very kind, caring person. And he was a heck of a pitcher. I still recall his first MLB start when he beat Don Drysdale in LA.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Blass always says that Billy Williams was the hardest batter for him to get out. On 9/5/69 in Wrigley Field, Williams went 4 for 4 with a pair of solo HRs. Blass no-hit the rest of the Cubs winning the game 9-2 with a 4-hitter. But Blass also had 4 hits including a 3-run HR (the only HR of his career).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 9050.shtml
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Thanks for the note Bobster! Very cool!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

That's a good story. He always seemed like a really good guy to me over the radio but of course that can be deceiving, so that's good to know.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Outside of owners and Vin Scully, is there anyone who has had a longer association with a single team?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: Blass always says that Billy Williams was the hardest batter for him to get out. On 9/5/69 in Wrigley Field, Williams went 4 for 4 with a pair of solo HRs. Blass no-hit the rest of the Cubs winning the game 9-2 with a 4-hitter. But Blass also had 4 hits including a 3-run HR (the only HR of his career).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 9050.shtml

for a few years my local paper (Butler Eagle) including the batting and pitching star of the day. Blass was selected as both the pitcher and batter (although Williams could have won)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Very sad to hear this. Big Blass fan. I was barely an idea when Blass was pitching in his prime. However in 1985, Steve was a representative for Jostens and sold me my class ring from OCHS. Cool dude.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

It has indeed been a great run for Steve. He became a Pirate the same year that I began a streak of attending Pirate games that would reach 60 yrs through 2018 and will extend to 61 in 2019. I have met Steve at a book signing for his book a few yrs ago and he was very polite gentleman willing and eager to talk with fans. I enjoyed watching him play and was sad the way his playing career ended. As colorman, I enjoyed his ability to help the fan understand the ins and outs of the game from a player's perspective. And of course his stories about old time players and managers he encountered over the years. Thanks, Steve for all those years and your loyalty to the Bucs.

Now the Bucs have the tough decision on who to replace Steve. Will it be "The Rock"? I would be fine with that.