At the winter meetings NH will be looking for...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

a shortstop and a lefty reliever according to Rob Biertempfel @ The Athletic. Quite frankly I was surprised to learn that NH is still seeking a shortstop after recently acquiring Erik Gonzalez.

Here are the candidates (in no particular order) that Biertempfel feels NH will be considering (with more interest in some than others):

Shortstop-

Jordy Mercer

Adeiny Hechavarria

Alcides Escobar

Freddy Galvis

Asdrúbal Cabrera

Jose Iglesias

Tim Beckham

Nick Ahmed

Relief pitcher-

Xavier Cedeno

Jake Diekman

Tyler Lyons

Dan Jennings

Jerry Blevins
mouse

Post by mouse »

I don't expect anything from the winter meetings (unless they decide to go the trade route, and I put the probabilities there pretty low). Right now the free agents all have big hopes, and big demands. I expect the Pirates to hold off until January, when prices are lower for the extras they are after. I'm not saying this is good or bad -- just that based on past conduct, this is what I expect.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

HELLO ... How about a RF? And another starting pitcher for that matter, ideally a lefty.

I don't feel great about Chisenhall/Reyes being the answer in RF.
BenM

Post by BenM »

2F2D373127420 wrote: I don't expect anything from the winter meetings (unless they decide to go the trade route, and I put the probabilities there pretty low). Right now the free agents all have big hopes, and big demands. I expect the Pirates to hold off until January, when prices are lower for the extras they are after. I'm not saying this is good or bad -- just that based on past conduct, this is what I expect.

I think they definitely wait. Especially if they think owners are going to hold the line on contracts like they did in spring of this year. When guys like Mike Moustakas were headed into spring training without an offer and the union was freaking out.

(And when the Pirates declined to participate in an historic buyers market.)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5C7B70531E0 wrote: I don't expect anything from the winter meetings (unless they decide to go the trade route, and I put the probabilities there pretty low). Right now the free agents all have big hopes, and big demands. I expect the Pirates to hold off until January, when prices are lower for the extras they are after. I'm not saying this is good or bad -- just that based on past conduct, this is what I expect.

I think they definitely wait. Especially if they think owners are going to hold the line on contracts like they did in spring of this year. When guys like Mike Moustakas were headed into spring training without an offer and the union was freaking out.

(And when the Pirates declined to participate in an historic buyers market.)

Exactly. We will have zero impact at the Winter Meetings. Might churn it up a week before ST ... looking for the next Corey Dickerson to fall in our laps. As you stated, last year was the perfect time to jump into the fray, but they failed.

What upsets me are five teams are interested in Harrison. Why didn't NH deal him before the TDL for something?

I expect bottom of the barrel stuff coming to Pittsburgh. Nothing of substance.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

7250435E5D585F50734452525E310 wrote: HELLO ... How about a RF? And another starting pitcher for that matter, ideally a lefty.

I don't feel great about Chisenhall/Reyes being the answer in RF.

Buccos sign LH Jeff Locke to a 2 year contract. Will be 5th starter...

Would that surprise you?
mouse

Post by mouse »

Wonderful news - mlbtr is reporting that Billy Hamilton is close to a deal with KC. One of my offseason wishes from last year!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

3133292F395C0 wrote: Wonderful news - mlbtr is reporting that Billy Hamilton is close to a deal with KC.  One of my offseason wishes from last year!

USAToday Sports sites an AP report that the deal is done. $5.25 million for 1 yr plus up to $1 million in incentive bonuses.

Thank you to the Royals.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

NH will be looking for a good place to have a meal and to take a nap.

Pirates do not appear to be a serious player at this year's winter meetings.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

002129002B23440 wrote: Wonderful news - mlbtr is reporting that Billy Hamilton is close to a deal with KC.  One of my offseason wishes from last year!

USAToday Sports sites an AP report that the deal is done.  $5.25 million for 1 yr plus up to $1 million in incentive bonuses.

Thank you to the Royals.

Hamilton is a crappy hitter with zero power, but I'm very happy he is gone out of the division. Always seems to have the Pirates number.