2019 NLC Poll #2: Cardinals v Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

So far, 58% believe Pirates will win series verses Reds.

With the Cardinals I’ve expanded the choices to take in possibility the series may not be particularly competitive one way or the other.

They play 19 games this year, 10 in St Louis. Last year the cards won 11-9.

Pitching: on the surface, the Cards look better. With Wainright your #5, that’s saying something. But that staff has missed a lot of time with injuries and if history plays out again this year, that makes a huge difference. Slight edge to Pirates.

Outfield: Pirates

Infield: Cardinals in a blowout.

Heart over brains? I think the Pirates surprise here and win 10-9.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I gave the Cards the edge over the Pirates, but you have to consider that Molina is recovering from a minor knee surgery, and he is now 36 years old. He has been a key to their success, and he may be beginning to start showing his age.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

060A0B5059505855524D57600 wrote: I gave the Cards the edge over the Pirates, but you have to consider that Molina is recovering from a minor knee surgery, and he is now 36 years old. He has been a key to their success, and he may be beginning to start showing his age.

You’re right. Against the Reds I compared the catchers. Forgot to here. But I actually like our catchers a lot. Not certain thatMolina is going to be much of a factor this year. Edge Pirates.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I picked the Reds over the Pirates this year; but I’m picking the Bucs over the Cards. These 2 teams always play competitive games against one another. I’m projecting that luck will be on the Bucs side this year. (Even with their acquisition of Goldschmidt)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

515640484651161A63444E424A4F0D404C4E230 wrote: I gave the Cards the edge over the Pirates, but you have to consider that Molina is recovering from a minor knee surgery, and he is now 36 years old. He has been a key to their success, and he may be beginning to start showing his age.

You’re right.  Against the Reds I compared the catchers. Forgot to here.  But I actually like our catchers a lot.  Not certain thatMolina is going to be much of a factor this year. Edge Pirates. 

I like our catchers too. Really hope Cervelli can stay healthy. If he and Diaz can split the duty, it might keep both healthier.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I love y'alls enthusiasm and optimism, but are y'all insane?

Goldschmidt will hit more HRs against the Pirates this year than the entire Pirates team will hit against the Cards.

The Cardinals are a CONTENDING team. The Pirates are not even trying to win and seem content with last place. This series will not be competitive.

I'll take the Cards to win 13 of 19.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6C4E5D404346414E6D5A4C4C402F0 wrote: I love y'alls enthusiasm and optimism, but are y'all insane?

Goldschmidt will hit more HRs against the Pirates this year than the entire Pirates team will hit against the Cards.

The Cardinals are a CONTENDING team. The Pirates are not even trying to win and seem content with last place. This series will not be competitive.

I'll take the Cards to win 13 of 19.

I agree with this. The Cards are head and shoulders better than the Bucs. Martinez, Mikolas, Wacha, Reyes, and Wainwright is a very good rotation, even if Wainwright isn't the same guy he used to be.

Their infield is so much better than ours it's laughable. I'm not even sure we're better in the outfield. I'd take Marte over Bader, but it's close. I'd take Fowler over some combination of Chisenhall and Polanco, and even with Dickerson's good year last year, I still think Ozuna is miles ahead of him.

The only place we have a tangible advantage is in the bullpen, and behind the plate, maybe, depending on if Molina ever starts to show his age.

Throw Goldschmidt into the mix, and I might even put the Cards ahead of the Brewers and Cubs as favorites to win the division. Plus, there are still some media personnel linking them to Harper. If they get Harper, they might be favorites to win the NL.

Cards go 13-6 against the Bucs in 2019. And even that might be generous in our favor.