Machado to the Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Machado to the Padres

Post by MaineBucs »

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

Several weeks ago I posted that Harper and Machado had to be prepared to accept the reality of no more 10 year contracts. Guess I was flat out wrong.

Machado, alone, will now earn nearly 40% of the pay of the Bucs entire 25 man roster. Go Bucs!
SyrBucco

Machado to the Padres

Post by SyrBucco »

0D21292E2502352333400 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

Several weeks ago I posted that Harper and Machado had to be prepared to accept the reality of no more 10 year contracts.  Guess I was flat out wrong. 

Machado, alone, will now earn nearly 40% of the pay of the Bucs entire 25 man roster.  Go Bucs!
Good player but not worth that much money. Padres will regret this in a few years.
fjk090852-7

Machado to the Padres

Post by fjk090852-7 »

446E655562747478170 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

Several weeks ago I posted that Harper and Machado had to be prepared to accept the reality of no more 10 year contracts.  Guess I was flat out wrong. 

Machado, alone, will now earn nearly 40% of the pay of the Bucs entire 25 man roster.  Go Bucs!
Good player but not worth that much money. Padres will regret this in a few years.

You are correct he is not worth that much money, but as a Pirate fan wouldn’t it be exciting if the Pirates could sign a free agent that would ignite the fan base. I don’t believe it has to be the biggest star on the market, but a player who you knew that would make a difference between winning and losing. It is very disappointing when you read the Pirates sign another reclamation project with the hope he may help the team , while another team signs a starting pitcher who has had success in the majors, or an established infielder to fill a void at shortstop. Sometimes it is difficult being a Pirate fan.
BenM

Machado to the Padres

Post by BenM »

78545C5B5077405646350 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

So was I, and he got an opt out!
PMike

Machado to the Padres

Post by PMike »

2925247F767F777A7D62784F0 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

You are correct he is not worth that much money, but as a Pirate fan wouldn’t it be exciting if the Pirates could sign a free agent that would ignite the fan base. I don’t believe it has to be the biggest star on the market, but a player who you knew that would make a difference between winning and losing. It is very disappointing when you read the Pirates sign another reclamation project with the hope he may help the team , while another team signs a starting pitcher who has had success in the majors, or an established infielder to fill a void at shortstop. Sometimes it is difficult being a Pirate fan.

Can we put to bed the inane idea that good players want to play for contenders? The Padres are terrible and they will be terrible this coming year with Machado. From the Padres perspective, this is a delusional signing...unless they want to sell a few more tickets this year. They aren't winning now or in the near future. Machado makes a bunch of money but isn't going to see the post season till they trade him.

Moral of the story...guys sign for the money.
iabucco

Machado to the Padres

Post by iabucco »

I haven't seen yet, is this a player opt out or a team opt out or both? If it is team opt out for the Padres this isn't a bad deal, if it is only a player opt out then I agree the Padres will regret this.
BenM

Machado to the Padres

Post by BenM »

786541434D280 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

Can we put to bed the inane idea that good players want to play for contenders?  The Padres are terrible and they will be terrible this coming year with Machado.  From the Padres perspective, this is a delusional signing...unless they want to sell a few more tickets this year.  They aren't winning now or in the near future.  Machado makes a bunch of money but isn't going to see the post season till they trade him.

The Padres have ten guys in MLB's top 100 prospects. Not out question that they pull an Astros kind of recovery.
notes34

Machado to the Padres

Post by notes34 »

64795D5F51340 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

Can we put to bed the inane idea that good players want to play for contenders?  The Padres are terrible and they will be terrible this coming year with Machado.  From the Padres perspective, this is a delusional signing...unless they want to sell a few more tickets this year.  They aren't winning now or in the near future.  Machado makes a bunch of money but isn't going to see the post season till they trade him.

The Padres have the best collection of prospects in MLB.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... rm-system/
Bobster21

Machado to the Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

333229382E6E695D0 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that Machado is preparing to sign with the Padres for 10 years at $300 mil with an opt-out after 5 years.

How often does a top tier FA sign with a noncontender? In this case, Machado and Harper have been waiting all winter for a mega offer. Amid allegations of collusion, Machado finally received such an offer and took it. In sunny San Diego. Hardly representative of FAs everywhere signing with bad teams. But if the top FAs routinely sign with noncontenders, why haven't any signed with the Pirates? Is NH offering Confederate money? Let's look back at all the top tier FAs over the years who chose the Pirates over other teams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg
UtahPirate

Machado to the Padres

Post by UtahPirate »

5C5D4657410106320 wrote:

And they think Machado with his well-deserved reputation for being lazy is the guy to lead them? Repeat with me - albatross contract!