Post by SammyKhalifa »

OrlandoMerced

August Trades

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Good.
fjk090852-7

August Trades

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With only the July 31st date, there may be more player movement on that day, and days prior to the deadline. Teams will have to determine if they are contenders or not with two months left in the season. I like the new rule, but if a team is just a couple games over .500 , and only a handful of games out of the final Wild Card position, do you bite the bullet and mortgage some of your future, or stand pat ? Interesting decision!
mouse

August Trades

Post by mouse »

I think I like this approach. I always had the feeling that adding guys near the end of August was like bringing in ringers at the last minute.
SammyKhalifa

August Trades

Post by SammyKhalifa »

To be honest I'm a little indifferent. While I agree with what people are saying here, I also thought the second deadline added a little fun suspense.
SammyKhalifa

August Trades

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Also am I wrong that this would mean that that late Giles for Jason Bay deal between two bad teams could never have happened?
Ecbucs

August Trades

Post by Ecbucs »

03313D3D291B38313C393631500 wrote: Also am I wrong that this would mean that that late Giles for Jason Bay deal between two bad teams could never have happened?

yeah, that deal was made on  August 26, 2003.  I didn't realize until I looked at his record that he played more years in SD than Pittsburgh.  His defensive stats are terrible although I thought he was a decent outfielder.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... br02.shtml

his ops with Bucs was 1.018 and ops plus was 158. 426 oba and 591 slugging.

Too bad he didn't come back this season.
SammyKhalifa

August Trades

Post by SammyKhalifa »

765051465040330 wrote: Also am I wrong that this would mean that that late Giles for Jason Bay deal between two bad teams could never have happened?

yeah, that deal was made on  August 26, 2003.  I didn't realize until I looked at his record that he played more years in SD than Pittsburgh.  His defensive stats are terrible although I thought he was a decent outfielder.

his ops with Bucs was 1.018 and ops plus was 158. 426 oba and  591 slugging. 

i wonder if the bucs would have to clear a second roster spot for Giles' pharmacist
DemDog

August Trades

Post by DemDog »

182A26263200232A27222D2A4B0 wrote: Also am I wrong that this would mean that that late Giles for Jason Bay deal between two bad teams could never have happened?

i wonder if the bucs would have to clear a second roster spot for Giles' pharmacist

No roster spot for Giles' pharmacist. Just add him to the training staff or the interpreting staff aka, Kang and some of the Latin players. 8-) But I think your suggestion was great.
Ecbucs

August Trades

Post by Ecbucs »

57767E577C74130 wrote: Also am I wrong that this would mean that that late Giles for Jason Bay deal between two bad teams could never have happened?

No roster spot for Giles' pharmacist.  Just add him to the training staff or the interpreting staff aka, Kang and some of the Latin players.   8-)  But I think your suggestion was great.

the Pirate Parrot was ahead of his time. He could have made a lot more money with steroids vs. cocaine.