Rule Changes Could Be Coming

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

MLB Trade Rumors is stating that the owners and players may be on the verge of some rule changes. There is nothing specific right now, but they mentioned a possible roster increase of 26 players, only one trade deadline during the season, and a set amount of players during the month of September.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

If that is the extent of the changes, all good moves in my opinion.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

606C6D363F363E33342B31060 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors is stating that the owners and players may be on the verge of some rule changes. There is nothing specific right now, but they mentioned a possible roster increase of 26 players, only one trade deadline during the season, and a set amount of players during the month of September.

I like the September idea...some of these rosters are like Spring Training. I'm not a fan of the 26th man, but I can tolerate it in the literal sense of the word, meaning, I don't like it, but I'll put up with it if it means no DH in the NL. I'm indifferent on the trade deadline thing...I kind of like the August waiver trades...that brought the Bucs Justin Morneau and Marlon Byrd, for instance. But, I can see the logic behind having only one deadline, so I could get on board.

The only rules I really don't want to see are A) an NL DH, and B) anything that messes with the integrity of the game, like limiting shifts, a three batter minimum for pitchers, starting extra innings with a runner on second base, moving the pitcher's mound, etc. I hate anything resembling manipulation of the sport.

I feel like the NFL has been actively engaged in doing this. I used to love the NFL. I'd watch every Sunday. As a kid, my dad always subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket, so we'd spend every Sunday afternoon flipping between whatever NFL game we wanted to watch. But, as the NFL has manipulated the league to take contact out of the sport, I've become less and less interested (not exclusively because of that, but it illustrates my point). I find it ironic that Ronnie Lott, arguable the greatest ever at his position, couldn't play in today's NFL because his game was based so much on the physical part of playing strong safety. The NFL has done all they can to eliminate that from the game.

I see baseball doing something similar with limiting shifts, three out minimums, and the idiotic ideas they have about extra innings. It's manipulation of the sport. If the Pirates want to use a roster spot for Francisco Liriano, and they intend to basically have his job to be getting Anthony Rizzo, Joey Votto, Matt Carpenter, and Christian Yelich out, they ought to be able to. If they want to leave a gaping hole at third base when one of the above is up, they ought to be able to. DON'T MANIPULATE THE GAME!!!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Don't mess with the integrity of the game is my big complaint about rules changes.

• [1] No DH period
    • [2] No 3 batter minimum
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If they were going to put the DH in the NL they would have to have done it months ago so that NL teams had time to add a DH to their rosters if they weren't satisfied with just using bench guys.

If they add a 26th man to the roster it is a plus for the players' union, which means the owners would have to get something too. I can't imagine what that would be on such short notice.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Here's my take

No DH - I hate it!

No 3 hitter minimum for relief pitchers

No limiting the shift

No starting extra innings with a runner on second

No pitch clock period

No warm-ups for relievers when they enter the game

Yes to 26 man rosters - but only 25 can be active per game.  This lets the team give the next days starter a break cause they will not be the game anyway.

Yes to one trade deadline - Maybe August 15 - allows teams two more weeks to determine if they are going to be buyers or sellers

Yes to limited Sept rosters. Allow up to 40 like now but only allow 30 on any active roster.  This give some kids who have had good years in MiLB a look at what it takes to be on a MLB team.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4F6E664F646C0B0 wrote: Here's my take

No DH - I hate it!

No limiting the shift

No pitch clock period

Yes to 26 man rosters - but only 25 can be active per game.  This lets the team give the next days starter a break cause they will not be the game anyway.

Yes to one trade deadline - Maybe August 15 - allows teams two more weeks to determine if they are going to be buyers or sellers

Yes to limited Sept rosters. Allow up to 40 like now but only allow 30 on any active roster.  This give some kids who have had good years in MiLB a look at what it takes to be on a MLB team.
I agree with you Possum on everything except "no warmups for relievers when they enter the game." That is a necessity because there's usually some difference between the bullpen mounds and the real mound. Not to mention the real mound has been "groomed" by whichever pitchers were there last. It can be a little bit of an adjustment for the reliever and he needs to throw a few pitches from that mound.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: Here's my take

No DH - I hate it!

No limiting the shift

No pitch clock period

I agree with you Possum on everything except "no warmups for relievers when they enter the game." That is a necessity because there's usually some difference between the bullpen mounds and the real mound. Not to mention the real mound has been "groomed" by whichever pitchers were there last. It can be a little bit of an adjustment for the reliever and he needs to throw a few pitches from that mound.
The changes which Possum agrees to I do too. I also agree with Bobster that a relief pitcher should get a chance to warm up when he enters the game. Possibly less warmup pitches than allowed now. I think they are allowed 8 warmups now.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

If they are willing to implement a three batter minimum, then ostensibly they are willing to sacrifice the commercial time they get from having three relievers get the same three guys out. So, give the reliever four warm up tosses off the game mound. He should already be loose and just need them to get his feet on the new mound. That would shave a few minutes every game. Managers would have to be more alert, however, and get guys up faster.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

* Yes to DH

* 3 hitter min is OK, maybe 2 instead?

* No to limiting shifts

* No to extra innings changes

* Yes to pitch clock

* Yes to warmups for relievers

* Yes to 26 man rosters

* Yes to one trade deadline

* Yes to limit sept roster size