White Sox Prospect Getting An Unbelievably Contract

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Eloy Jimenez who is rated as Baseballs #3 prospect is going to sign a contract for 43 million guaranteed and 70 plus million over 8 years. The kid has never seen one pitch in the Majors. This contract stuff is getting over the top. If a young player like Taillon or Frazier sees what is happening they will never sign any contract with Pittsburgh. Jimenez may end up being a star player, but how many prospects have never reached stardom ? Wasn’t Hurdle supposed to be a star player? Never happened! Baseballs salary economics needs a complete overhaul.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Avoids service time issues.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

19243A373832391B3324353332560 wrote: Avoids service time issues.
Paying that amount of money to avoid service time is absurd. That’s a ton of guaranteed money to a player with no MLB experience. In my opinion this contract is a huge risk for the Sox.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I agree.

Pirates have had any number of highly rated prospects (top 20) that did not deliver as predicted. If the Pirates had signed all of these folks to 8 year deals coming out of the blocks, and they didn't excel, the Pirates would have had to trade any veteran making more than $2 mil to try and live within Nutting's salary constraints.

Team's are always looking for an edge and new twists on how to remain competitive. I am hoping that this deal is viewed as an aberration and does not become the norm. Lots of risk with the performance of young players; Bell being a good example.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Can you imagine if the Twins would have given that sort of contract to Byron Buxton? Or the Brewers/Marlins to Lewis Brinson? Both of those guys were can't miss MLB stars and both have looked clueless in the majors.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1B0622202E4B0 wrote: Can you imagine if the Twins would have given that sort of contract to Byron Buxton?  Or the Brewers/Marlins to Lewis Brinson?  Both of those guys were can't miss MLB stars and both have looked clueless in the majors.
That is what I mean. How do we know if the Jimenez kid won’t be a flop. Just going to the Majors is pressure, and now he carries the weight of this large contract, which I think adds more pressure especially if he struggles when he arrives in the big leagues. Give these young players a couple seasons in the League, and then if he has had success you reward him with a contract. I guess I am old school!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I'm good with all of these contracts. If they're all so horrible, they will destroy teams we ultimately have to play against on a drive to a pennant or better yet, WS.

Right? right!

There are a lot of decent ballplayers without a contract or signing for not much.

Alex Bregman just signed a 5 year, 100 million dollar extension with the stros. Glad we aren't stuck with that! Stros have more cap space to stay under the 206 million threshold.

That's about 257% of our payroll. We're only going to lose 10% or so fewer games than them! Losers. Joke is on them.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

747D75646A100 wrote: I'm good with all of these contracts.  If they're all so horrible, they will destroy teams we ultimately  have to play against on a drive to a pennant or better yet, WS.

Right? right!   

There are a lot of decent ballplayers without a contract or signing for not much.    

Alex Bregman just signed a 5 year, 100 million dollar extension with the stros.   Glad we aren't stuck with that!  Stros have  more cap space to stay under the 206 million threshold. 

That's about 257% of our payroll.   We're only going to lose 10% or so fewer games than them!   Losers.  Joke is on them.

this is close to the biggest if not the biggest contract the White Sox have made with anyone. MLB Trade Rumors had a list recently (might have seen this somewhere else) and Jason Kendall still has signed the biggest contract in Bucs history.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

we have 37.25 million in 2020 payroll commitment, and that's if the 2 available options are taken (archer and Marte).

Perfect opportunity to sell the team.  You cannot have less financial commitment in MLB!
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

its not uncommon

Pirates even tried to lock Polanco up in the same kind of deal

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1089 ... ract-offer

Sox have done it before basically with Tim Anderson.

they deal we own with Archer is basically because of a rookie signing an early extension buying out arb years like this. Rays like to do.

gamble on both sides