Why the Pirates could be the surprise team in MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

By this time next week I’ll probably be POed, angry, Furious and in an all around bad mood over this latest addition of our lovable Pirates.  But with the world on the eve of destruction (Barry McGuire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWGp3HQVjU) and the end of the world (as we know it anyway) surely at hand (REM  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsxavPANO8s) we need a positive distraction, something that Pirate Nation can rally around and who knows, just maybe help bring about world peace. 

Or maybe the Pirates can at least win a wild card. 

I’m actually pretty optimistic (after several seasons of all out discontent).  My main problems with this team?  1) the division is going to be so darn rough. 2) A significant part of me doesn’t want Nutting’s Penny-pinching ways to meet any success.

Nevertheless, I think this has the potential to be a really good team. Maybe in celebration of Opening Day, we can list reasons for optimism with this team. Next week we’ll tearing them down for all their failures, but in anticipation of the first pitch:

1) Chris Archer - I think he’s going to be that pitching acquisition that we’ve begged for in the past.  Somebody that materially improves an otherwise “good team” and elevated them into the very good.

2) Jung Ho - if the spring is any indication, his batting average and “home run average” are going to be within about 50 points of each other.  But as long as the BA is around .250 that equals A LOT of home runs (100 - 150). Kidding aside, I’m stunned By his spring. Never expected.  That additional power is huge for this team and could transform the offense.

3) we have a true lead off and cleanup hitter.  Who would have thunk it.  Pure accident?

4) Starling Marte still has as much potential as anyone in the league. This year he becomes the player he has potential to be.

5) Shark tank part 2.  2015 demonstrated the impact of a shut down pen.  This year has the same potential, maybe more.  Watch out for Burdi - this winter I had an opportunity to talk to Neal for nearly a half hour.  Burdi was the one guy I brought up in the conversation, I asked Neal if he still had back-end potential because I thought he could materially impact the season. Neal looked at my like “how did you know about Burdi!?”.  Without saying too much specific, it felt like Neal believed he was sitting on a secret weapon. 

6)  pitching staff is expected to be good but I believe the offense is going to be much better than expected.  A lot more power from all corners.

Those are a few reason I’m actually excited this year.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the ass kicking starts today.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

One reason and one reason only for me to be so optimistic. Since my college days, I have been a closet fan of the "Amazin's". 2019 marks the 50th year since they stunned the baseball world with this: The Year the Mets Jumped Over the Moon! There are so many similarities between the 2019 Bucs and the 1969 Amazin's!
rucker59@gmail.com

567071667060130 wrote: the ass kicking starts today.

AGREED!

I just hope it's not our asses getting kicked!
rucker59@gmail.com

0B2A220B20284F0 wrote: One reason and one reason only for me to be so optimistic.  Since my college days, I have been a closet fan of the "Amazin's".  2019 marks the 50th year since they stunned the baseball world with this:  The Year the Mets Jumped Over the Moon!   There are so many similarities between the 2019 Bucs and the 1969 Amazin's! 

Karma, or something like that - its the one thing I lacked. Now we're ready to roll!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

717660686671363A43646E626A6F2D606C6E030 wrote: the ass kicking starts today.

AGREED!

I just hope it's not our asses getting kicked!

me too, my crystal ball was too cloudy to tell.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm just eager to see what impact the new batting coaches and the embrace of new technologies has. Dickerson and Frazier looked like different hitters this spring, so I think some of their techniques really took with those two.

I saw a blip from Eno Sarris, formerly of Fangraphs, and now with the Athletic (I think) about players "getting better" is the new analytical craze. The Pirates have a lot of room to grow in this regard on the offensive side, as they have been way behind the curve on the launch angle movement.

I fear that Bell and Moran might simply just be stiffs that can't adapt to the majors, but look for their natural hitters to take power strides this year, Cervelli, Kang and Polanco to go with the aforementioned two.

So the room for improvement from last year is just some internal improvements. I think people underestimate this potential, but look at what the Dodgers have done with guys like Taylor and Muncy.
rucker59@gmail.com

2D100E030C060D2F0710010706620 wrote: I'm just eager to see what impact the new batting coaches and the embrace of new technologies has. Dickerson and Frazier looked like different hitters this spring, so I think some of their techniques really took with those two.

I saw a blip from Eno Sarris, formerly of Fangraphs, and now with the Athletic (I think) about players "getting better" is the new analytical craze. The Pirates have a lot of room to grow in this regard on the offensive side, as they have been way behind the curve on the launch angle movement.

I fear that Bell and Moran might simply just be stiffs that can't adapt to the majors, but look for their natural hitters to take power strides this year, Cervelli, Kang and Polanco to go with the aforementioned two.

So the room for improvement from last year is just some internal improvements. I think people underestimate this potential, but look at what the Dodgers have done with guys like Taylor and Muncy.

i was thinking about this and especially Dickerson and Frazier myself. Like you, I do think the offense is going to surprise. But I do differ about Bell - I think he's going to be a stud.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I think we can win 92 games! What happened the prediction thread? I won it in 2013, I believe!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7449444354524914171E260 wrote: I think we can win 92 games! What happened the prediction thread?  I won it in 2013, I believe!

well you're doing way better than I am then.