Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by GermanTownship »

6 innings, 2 hits, 11 strikeouts. Meadows, another homerun
steve49

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by steve49 »

I don't feel like going back and finding my post on this trade when it happened. What I said at the time it would prove to be a disaster. I even predicted by the end of 2019 , Glasnow would prove to be a better pitcher than Archer. Looks like that has a chance of happening ? Meadows last year had a period where he showed potential to be a real plus player . The Rays must be very happy with this deal ?

I know it's early but this one smells like bad feet. I'm still of the opinion that Huntington did this one hoping to make fans think they cared about winning. Purely an attendance issue as it did not fit with the direction the Pirates chose to take. If they had gone out and signed a Machado this offseason , then I could take this without throwing up in my mouth as I do now.
Bobster21

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by Bobster21 »

IMHO, I don't think Glasnow would be succeeding as a Pirate. Everyone knew about his talent. But all he did as a Pirate was fail. Not only was he not a successful pitcher, he was a disaster. When he got a fresh start with TB, he immediately became the pitcher the Pirates expected him to be. It looked like he lost all confidence in himself and feared failure as a Pirate. Every appearance must have been pressure packed for him trying not to continue to be the failing pitcher the Pirates were seeing. The best thing for him was a fresh start with a team that inspired confidence in him by making an effort to acquire him despite his bad stats as a Pirate. With TB, he was not trying to make up for bad games. He was starting from scratch and he could focus on doing what had made him a success in the minors instead of thinking about what had made him a failure as a Pirate. My complaint is that Searage is supposed to be a pitching guru but could not get Galsnow's head on straight. I'm sure he tried but he failed. Part of the game is mental. That seems to have been the part Glasnow struggled with and it looks like the Pirates weren't able to get thru to him.
maher.timothy20@gm

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

7F525F4E49584F0F0C3D0 wrote: IMHO, I don't think Glasnow would be succeeding as a Pirate. Everyone knew about his talent. But all he did as a Pirate was fail. Not only was he not a successful pitcher, he was a disaster. When he got a fresh start with TB, he immediately became the pitcher the Pirates expected him to be. It looked like he lost all confidence in himself and feared failure as a Pirate. Every appearance must have been pressure packed for him trying not to continue to be the failing pitcher the Pirates were seeing. The best thing for him was a fresh start with a team that inspired confidence in him by making an effort to acquire him despite his bad stats as a Pirate. With TB, he was not trying to make up for bad games. He was starting from scratch and he could focus on doing what had made him a success in the minors instead of thinking about what had made him a failure as a Pirate. My complaint is that Searage is supposed to be a pitching guru but could not get Galsnow's head on straight. I'm sure he tried but he failed. Part of the game is mental. That seems to have been the part Glasnow struggled with and it looks like the Pirates weren't able to get thru to him. 

This argument drives me crazy because the number of starts they gave him in 2018 was exactly zero. i thought by May or June they would have inserted him into the rotation for four or five starts. If they had they would have been able to see if he'd grown at all from those shaky starts in 2017. Instead they didn't do dick and traded him without having a real sense of what they had.
Ecbucs

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by Ecbucs »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: IMHO, I don't think Glasnow would be succeeding as a Pirate. Everyone knew about his talent. But all he did as a Pirate was fail. Not only was he not a successful pitcher, he was a disaster. When he got a fresh start with TB, he immediately became the pitcher the Pirates expected him to be. It looked like he lost all confidence in himself and feared failure as a Pirate. Every appearance must have been pressure packed for him trying not to continue to be the failing pitcher the Pirates were seeing. The best thing for him was a fresh start with a team that inspired confidence in him by making an effort to acquire him despite his bad stats as a Pirate. With TB, he was not trying to make up for bad games. He was starting from scratch and he could focus on doing what had made him a success in the minors instead of thinking about what had made him a failure as a Pirate. My complaint is that Searage is supposed to be a pitching guru but could not get Galsnow's head on straight. I'm sure he tried but he failed. Part of the game is mental. That seems to have been the part Glasnow struggled with and it looks like the Pirates weren't able to get thru to him. 

isn't this an indictment of the Bucco player development system?
Bobster21

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by Bobster21 »

5B7D7C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: IMHO, I don't think Glasnow would be succeeding as a Pirate. Everyone knew about his talent. But all he did as a Pirate was fail. Not only was he not a successful pitcher, he was a disaster. When he got a fresh start with TB, he immediately became the pitcher the Pirates expected him to be. It looked like he lost all confidence in himself and feared failure as a Pirate. Every appearance must have been pressure packed for him trying not to continue to be the failing pitcher the Pirates were seeing. The best thing for him was a fresh start with a team that inspired confidence in him by making an effort to acquire him despite his bad stats as a Pirate. With TB, he was not trying to make up for bad games. He was starting from scratch and he could focus on doing what had made him a success in the minors instead of thinking about what had made him a failure as a Pirate. My complaint is that Searage is supposed to be a pitching guru but could not get Galsnow's head on straight. I'm sure he tried but he failed. Part of the game is mental. That seems to have been the part Glasnow struggled with and it looks like the Pirates weren't able to get thru to him. 

isn't this an indictment of the Bucco player development system? 

I believe it is. As I said, the game is part mental and the Pirates were unable to help Glasnow get thru his crisis of confidence. They knew he had the ability. Tampa is seeing the ability. But the Pirates could not get thru to him.

maher.timothy20@gm

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I think it's an indictment of their failure to give him any starts last year, and I also think he'd be pitching just as well for us if he were still here.
steve49

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by steve49 »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: IMHO, I don't think Glasnow would be succeeding as a Pirate. Everyone knew about his talent. But all he did as a Pirate was fail. Not only was he not a successful pitcher, he was a disaster. When he got a fresh start with TB, he immediately became the pitcher the Pirates expected him to be. It looked like he lost all confidence in himself and feared failure as a Pirate. Every appearance must have been pressure packed for him trying not to continue to be the failing pitcher the Pirates were seeing. The best thing for him was a fresh start with a team that inspired confidence in him by making an effort to acquire him despite his bad stats as a Pirate. With TB, he was not trying to make up for bad games. He was starting from scratch and he could focus on doing what had made him a success in the minors instead of thinking about what had made him a failure as a Pirate. My complaint is that Searage is supposed to be a pitching guru but could not get Galsnow's head on straight. I'm sure he tried but he failed. Part of the game is mental. That seems to have been the part Glasnow struggled with and it looks like the Pirates weren't able to get thru to him. 

Lots of conjecture there. I don't buy it for a minute. No doubt the Pirates did a terrible job but he was immediately successful (one horrific star) at TB . Did they wave a magic wand ? But if you supported the trade and this makes you fell better so be it.
PMike

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by PMike »

4F48594A5908053C0 wrote: IMHO, I don't think Glasnow would be succeeding as a Pirate. Everyone knew about his talent. But all he did as a Pirate was fail. Not only was he not a successful pitcher, he was a disaster. When he got a fresh start with TB, he immediately became the pitcher the Pirates expected him to be. It looked like he lost all confidence in himself and feared failure as a Pirate. Every appearance must have been pressure packed for him trying not to continue to be the failing pitcher the Pirates were seeing. The best thing for him was a fresh start with a team that inspired confidence in him by making an effort to acquire him despite his bad stats as a Pirate. With TB, he was not trying to make up for bad games. He was starting from scratch and he could focus on doing what had made him a success in the minors instead of thinking about what had made him a failure as a Pirate. My complaint is that Searage is supposed to be a pitching guru but could not get Galsnow's head on straight. I'm sure he tried but he failed. Part of the game is mental. That seems to have been the part Glasnow struggled with and it looks like the Pirates weren't able to get thru to him. 

Lots of conjecture there. I don't buy it for a minute. No doubt the Pirates did a terrible job but he was immediately successful (one horrific star) at TB . Did they wave a magic wand ? But if you supported the trade and this makes you fell better so be it.

I liked the idea this trade a lot when it happened.  I liked the idea of Archer.  It was a bold move for the Pirates when they hadn't done this sort of thing before.  Everyone knew that we gave up a lot in Meadows.  Baz was another big one to give up, but I was comfortable with that, too.  I HATED including Glasnow.  The way the Pirates used him absolutely destroyed his trade value and he completely felt like a throw in on the trade.

Glasnow's immediate success at TB negates the development argument, IMO.  He clearly was developed and ready.  The problem is the Pirates never gave him a chance last year.  I don't rail on the Pirates for personnel issues very often, but that is where they screwed over Glasnow.  Not only did they stick him in the bullpen, but they made him the most irrelevant part of the pen.  They basically told him for months that they didn't trust him and that he was the least valuable guy on the staff.

Glasnow had a long history of being a slow adaptor at every level jump.  The MLB jump was taking a long time, but they quit on him.  This one sucks.

Silver lining: At least we didn't trade him to someone like the Cubs or Brewers where he would beat us multiple times a year.
notes34

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by notes34 »

434F464B5C005A4743415A46571C1E6E49432E0 wrote: I think it's an indictment of their failure to give him any starts last year, and I also think he'd be pitching just as well for us if he were still here.
I couldn't disagree more. Even Glasnow himself admitted as much. It was in his head and he needed a fresh start. He was a hot mess here. Now adding Meadows and Baz are what I had a real problem with.