Wanted: A Sure Handed Shortstop

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Through 11 games the Bucs have had defensive issues at shortstop. I will assume they will not recall Cole Tucker until they feel he has successfully handled AAA, which could be late season. Does any team have a good fielding shortstop who is blocked by someone at the MLB level ? I don’t believe Galvis or Iglesias are available at this time, because isn’t there a rule a recent free agent player cannot be traded until a specific date in June.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3D31306B626B636E69766C5B0 wrote: Through 11 games the Bucs have had defensive issues at shortstop. I will assume they will not recall Cole Tucker until they feel he has successfully handled AAA, which could be late season. Does any team have a good fielding shortstop who is blocked by someone at the MLB level ? I don’t believe Galvis or Iglesias are available at this time, because isn’t there a rule a  recent free agent  player cannot be traded until a specific date in June.
We were told that person was Gonzalez. And he didn't come cheap! It took all of Moroff and Luplow to pry him and 2 pitchers away from the Indians who clearly realized what a gem they were giving up.
PMike

Post by PMike »

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: Through 11 games the Bucs have had defensive issues at shortstop. I will assume they will not recall Cole Tucker until they feel he has successfully handled AAA, which could be late season. Does any team have a good fielding shortstop who is blocked by someone at the MLB level ? I don’t believe Galvis or Iglesias are available at this time, because isn’t there a rule a  recent free agent  player cannot be traded until a specific date in June.
We were told that person was Gonzalez. And he didn't come cheap! It took all of Moroff and Luplow to pry him and 2 pitchers away from the Indians who clearly realized what a gem they were giving up.

First of all, the Pirates didn't give up that much. Neither guy would be playing much for the Pirates. They aren't playing much for Cleveland and they certainly aren't doing real well.

I will make a predication in saying that we won't be talking about Gonzalez's defense by All Star break. He'll be fine.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

495470727C190 wrote: Through 11 games the Bucs have had defensive issues at shortstop. I will assume they will not recall Cole Tucker until they feel he has successfully handled AAA, which could be late season. Does any team have a good fielding shortstop who is blocked by someone at the MLB level ? I don’t believe Galvis or Iglesias are available at this time, because isn’t there a rule a  recent free agent  player cannot be traded until a specific date in June.

First of all, the Pirates didn't give up that much.  Neither guy would be playing much for the Pirates.  They aren't playing much for Cleveland and they certainly aren't doing real well.

I will make a predication in saying that we won't be talking about Gonzalez's defense by All Star break.  He'll be fine.
I guess you didn't get my sarcasm. The Pirates gave up very little for Gonzalez and the Indians even included 2 pitchers. Cleveland didn't seem to value him much and saw him more as a utility player. I hope you're right about Gonzalez' defense. He made a sensational play a few games ago but has botched some routine plays as well (although I don't fault him for the collision last night that resulted in him being charged with an error). Hurdle said Gonzalez was erratic in the field in ST and that seems to have carried over into the season. I guess the point is that when you are a GM with an obvious need at SS maybe you should set your sights a little higher than someone's else's utility player who comes cheaply. But what's done is done. Now we can just hope Gonzalez becomes a valuable player and not a liability.
PMike

Post by PMike »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: Through 11 games the Bucs have had defensive issues at shortstop. I will assume they will not recall Cole Tucker until they feel he has successfully handled AAA, which could be late season. Does any team have a good fielding shortstop who is blocked by someone at the MLB level ? I don’t believe Galvis or Iglesias are available at this time, because isn’t there a rule a  recent free agent  player cannot be traded until a specific date in June.

First of all, the Pirates didn't give up that much.  Neither guy would be playing much for the Pirates.  They aren't playing much for Cleveland and they certainly aren't doing real well.

I will make a predication in saying that we won't be talking about Gonzalez's defense by All Star break.  He'll be fine.
I guess you didn't get my sarcasm. The Pirates gave up very little for Gonzalez and the Indians even included 2 pitchers. Cleveland didn't seem to value him much and saw him more as a utility player. I hope you're right about Gonzalez' defense. He made a sensational play a few games ago but has botched some routine plays as well (although I don't fault him for the collision last night that resulted in him being charged with an error). Hurdle said Gonzalez was erratic in the field in ST and that seems to have carried over into the season. I guess the point is that when you are a GM with an obvious need at SS maybe you should set your sights a little higher than someone's else's utility player who comes cheaply. But what's done is done. Now we can just hope Gonzalez becomes a valuable player and not a liability. 

Darn it! I did miss your sarcasm. I feel like sarcasm oozes out of me all the time. It must be too early for me and I hadn't had coffee when I responded. I'll do better.

I think Gonzalez must have been a pretty good defender in Cleveland. The Pirates wouldn't have acquired him if this is what he looked like there. He was given a starting spot in the majors for the first time in his career. I'll give him a bit of time to adjust.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

If Gonzalez doesn't step up his game, perhaps his longer term role in Pittsburgh is more similar to the one that he provided Cleveland, a utility player.

I know that the season is less than 15 games old, that it does often take players some time to get comfortable, and that many of the weather conditions have been less than ideal, but, at some point, production does matter. If it doesn't, the team will look up around June 1 and find that the season may no longer be salvageable.

So --- with Newman being the only real in-house option, we are going to have to hope that Gonzalez finds a comfortable grove and begins to perform like at least a league average shortstop defensively and that he offers an offensive value similar to Mercer.

Continuing, also need to hope that Kang starts to offer some production. Otherwise, the left side of the infield is a black hole with everyone needing to hope that both Hayes and Tucker are the real deal.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

I think we're all hoping that they're the real deal anyway. The absolute best you can get at shortstop with anyone on the current roster is passably below average. Gonzalez at absolute best is what, Mercer's defense with Wilson's bat? I know that isn't quite on point, but if you're going to be an all-glove no bat shortstop, you better be Mark Belanger or Ozzie Smith in the field, and I just don't see that.
PMike

Post by PMike »

66626A5D4B5B6E4946280 wrote: I think we're all hoping that they're the real deal anyway. The absolute best you can get at shortstop with anyone on the current roster is passably below average. Gonzalez at absolute best is what, Mercer's defense with Wilson's bat? I know that isn't quite on point, but if you're going to be an all-glove no bat shortstop, you better be Mark Belanger or Ozzie Smith in the field, and I just don't see that.

He has already flashed much more skill and athleticism than Mercer. Now he needs to be consistent. Mercer wasn't a great fielder, but he made all of the routine plays.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D103436385D0 wrote: I think we're all hoping that they're the real deal anyway. The absolute best you can get at shortstop with anyone on the current roster is passably below average. Gonzalez at absolute best is what, Mercer's defense with Wilson's bat? I know that isn't quite on point, but if you're going to be an all-glove no bat shortstop, you better be Mark Belanger or Ozzie Smith in the field, and I just don't see that.

He has already flashed much more skill and athleticism than Mercer.  Now he needs to be consistent.  Mercer wasn't a great fielder, but he made all of the routine plays.

I think it is early enough in season that we've not seen what he can do. I expect him to be a decent glove (probably not as good as Clint Barnes) with a weak bat. (will be surprised if his OBA is over 300 and if slugging is over 375)