We’re in a spot of trouble

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Post by Tintin »

I know it’s nice having the rookies up and I’m enjoying Melky and Birdie as much as anyone.

The problem is that by my count, we might have seven major league hitters on this roster.

2 aren’t hitting (Kang and Cervelli), one hasn’t played all year (Diaz), one is old (Cabrera), and one is Moran.

I have no idea how we are going to score runs for the immediate future.

Let’s hope the starters can keep doing what they are doing.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Our rotation, and I believe our pen as well, is among the best in the NL. They will be able to keep the Pirates in games until The Calvary arrives (our four busted OFers). I still expect Jung Ho to be much better and Diaz may provide some punch at catcher. For every team chasing the Pirates that expects their team to be eventually much improved, I think the Pirates are going to also be much improved in the not too distant future.

Finally, gotta be excited about what the rookies have shown. There is some talent there.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

That's the issue. They are now 12-7 but 4 of those 12 wins were 2-0, 2-0, 3-1 and 3-2. Had they given up 4 or more runs in those games the 12-7 record would be an unimpressive 8-11. Not to mention that they scored 3 or fewer runs in 5 of their 7 losses. So the good pitching is overshadowing the hitting, which is poor even in many wins. I know a lot of players are hurt and being replaced by players lacking in experience. But coming into the season before the injuries were known, we still knew this team wasn't going to hit. If anything, the influx of Martin, Tucker and Reynolds has created more hitting than what we expected from the veterans.
rucker59@gmail.com

I’m expecting hitting to improve. Unreasonable expectation?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: That's the issue. They are now 12-7 but 4 of those 12 wins were 2-0, 2-0, 3-1 and 3-2. Had they given up 4 or more runs in those games the 12-7 record would be an unimpressive 8-11. Not to mention that they scored 3 or fewer runs in 5 of their 7 losses. So the good pitching is overshadowing the hitting, which is poor even in many wins. I know a lot of players are hurt and being replaced by players lacking in experience. But coming into the season before the injuries were known, we still knew this team wasn't going to hit. If anything, the influx of Martin, Tucker and Reynolds has created more hitting than what we expected from the veterans.   

Right, but that cloth cuts both ways. In our first loss we blew a late 3-2 lead. In our second, a late 4-0 lead. A late 3-0 lead in our third. We gave up about six unearned runs early in our fourth loss. Our fifth was a 2-0 defeat, where both runs were unearned. Blew another late lead in our sixth loss of the year, and blew another lead today (at least this one happened in the middle innings). Here’s the point, a few bad breaks, and they could be 8-11. But hold a few more late inning leads and play some defense, we could easily be 15-4. This team is slowly starting to make me a believer. Slowly.

Sounds like Polanco is almost back, Chisenhall is doing a rehab assignment so he should be close. Ditto Newman (though Tucker may be better right now). Hopefully Dickerson is back soon. I doubt there’s too many teams that could be playing every day with their #5, 6, and 7 outfielders, their #3 shortstop, and their backup catcher (who should be the starter) and be in first place.

Bottom line...if...if...the pitching keeps up, this is a playoff team. Can’t believe I’m typing that, but there it is.
rucker59@gmail.com

4F47447365406768060 wrote: That's the issue. They are now 12-7 but 4 of those 12 wins were 2-0, 2-0, 3-1 and 3-2. Had they given up 4 or more runs in those games the 12-7 record would be an unimpressive 8-11. Not to mention that they scored 3 or fewer runs in 5 of their 7 losses. So the good pitching is overshadowing the hitting, which is poor even in many wins. I know a lot of players are hurt and being replaced by players lacking in experience. But coming into the season before the injuries were known, we still knew this team wasn't going to hit. If anything, the influx of Martin, Tucker and Reynolds has created more hitting than what we expected from the veterans.   

Right, but that cloth cuts both ways. In our first loss we blew a late 3-2 lead. In our second, a late 4-0 lead. A late 3-0 lead in our third. We gave up about six unearned runs early in our fourth loss. Our fifth was a 2-0 defeat, where both runs were unearned. Blew another late lead in our sixth loss of the year, and blew another lead today (at least this one happened in the middle innings). Here’s the point, a few bad breaks, and they could be 8-11. But hold a few more late inning leads and play some defense, we could easily be 15-4. This team is slowly starting to make me a believer. Slowly.

Sounds like Polanco is almost back, Chisenhall is doing a rehab assignment so he should be close. Ditto Newman (though Tucker may be better right now). Hopefully Dickerson is back soon. I doubt there’s too many teams that could be playing every day with their #5, 6, and 7 outfielders, their #3 shortstop, and their backup catcher (who should be the starter) and be in first place.

Bottom line...if...if...the pitching keeps up, this is a playoff team. Can’t believe I’m typing that, but there it is.

Agreed.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

4443555D5344030F76515B575F5A1855595B360 wrote: That's the issue. They are now 12-7 but 4 of those 12 wins were 2-0, 2-0, 3-1 and 3-2. Had they given up 4 or more runs in those games the 12-7 record would be an unimpressive 8-11. Not to mention that they scored 3 or fewer runs in 5 of their 7 losses. So the good pitching is overshadowing the hitting, which is poor even in many wins. I know a lot of players are hurt and being replaced by players lacking in experience. But coming into the season before the injuries were known, we still knew this team wasn't going to hit. If anything, the influx of Martin, Tucker and Reynolds has created more hitting than what we expected from the veterans.   

Agreed.

It's more interesting to argue, but you guys have it exactly right.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I agree with everyone above that this team has a chance to be very good if the starting pitching can continue to be as consistent as it is now and the guys we get back on offense such as Polanco and Dickerson help improve the hitting on this team. If those things are consistent all season this team makes the playoffs for sure.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Did anyone hear the Clint Hurdle interview? He implied very very strongly that Polanco will be coming back "soon," as soon as today, but almos certainly during this homestand.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

083A36362210333A37323D3A5B0 wrote: Did anyone hear the Clint Hurdle interview?  He implied very very strongly that Polanco will be coming back "soon," as soon as today, but almos certainly during this homestand. 
This is from WTM at "Bucs Dugout":

Gregory Polanco “could rejoin the Pirates this week.” Polanco didn’t play today and Indianapolis is off Monday, so I’m guessing “this week” means Monday. It’s hard to see what more time in AAA will accomplish. The Pirates have said Polanco’s throwing will not be back at full strength this year. And the Pirates desperately need offense from their outfield. They’ve gotten a surprising contribution from Melky Cabrera, Jason Martin and J.B. Shuck, but regression seems to be settling in. They need the big boys back.

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/4/21/18 ... ry-updates

It's troubling that they will have a RFer with limited throwing ability.