attendance

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

attendance

Post by Ecbucs »

weather has been awful but Pirate attendance is down 10,000 a game from last year (23,000 to 13,000). A couple announced crowds have been below 10,000.

Since those crowds include tickets bought it looks like the Bucs might have sold only 8-9000 season tickets this year.

If team doesn't win and create excitement it is possible attendance could drop to 1.5 million.

Front office has to be monitoring this and it will be interesting to see what they try and do to boost attendance.
mouse

attendance

Post by mouse »

Last night had to be the worst all year. At the start of game one it looked like there was maybe eleven or so people there. Even after people showed, the in-stadium attendance couldn't have been more than a couple of thousand.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

attendance

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I heard/read that they have had the worst weather amongst all major league teams. Something like one game played over 40 degrees. Not sure of the actual stat, but its been the worst.

I go to plenty of games. I don't need to go to a rainy, snowy, 30 degree game to show my support. I don't blame others either.
SteadyFreddy

attendance

Post by SteadyFreddy »

We’ll see how they do this weekend for the Cards series as the weather I believe is supposed to be fairly decent I think. The Pirates after this weekend are gone on a 9 game road trip and don’t come home until the series with the Giants and Cutch on May 11th Mother’s Day weekend which should draw probably the best crowds of the year so far. But I agree if the team isn’t playing well in another month or so the attendance is really gonna begin to suffer greatly. The weather is gonna get nice here soon if not right now and the Pirates won’t be able to use bad weather as an excuse for people not coming out here the next month or so.
SCBucco

attendance

Post by SCBucco »

466061766070030 wrote: weather has been awful but Pirate attendance is down 10,000 a game from last year (23,000 to 13,000).  A couple announced crowds have been below 10,000. 

Since those crowds include tickets bought it looks like the Bucs might have sold only 8-9000 season tickets this year.

If team doesn't win and create excitement it is possible attendance could drop to 1.5 million. 

Front office has to be monitoring this and it will be interesting to see what they try and do to boost attendance.

The last thing paying customers want to do is sit outside in lousy, cold, snowy rainy weather to watch baseball. The weather hasn't been good for quite a few locations this April. It's another reason baseball should consider starting in May.

The fans in the off season weren't too happy with what management did with this roster to make the team competitive. We will see what becomes of that in the coming weeks. The recent play hasn't given anyone anything to be excited about.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

attendance

0B2C3D393C211E2A3D3C3C21580 wrote: We’ll see how they do this weekend for the Cards series as the weather I believe is supposed to be fairly decent I think. The Pirates after this weekend are gone on a 9 game road trip and don’t come home until the series with the Giants and Cutch on May 11th Mother’s Day weekend which should draw probably the best crowds of the year so far. But I agree if the team isn’t playing well in another month or so the attendance is really gonna begin to suffer greatly. The weather is gonna get nice here soon if not right now and the Pirates won’t be able to use bad weather as an excuse for people not coming out here the next month or so.

I am seeing 65 degrees on Friday, rain on Saturday 50 degrees, and cloudy on Sunday and 50 degrees. This weekend is better than 30 degrees, but still not above 70 degrees.

How is the May 11th Walkout planning? I haven't heard any updates. Maybe because McCutchen is batting .205. I do expect a big crowd that weekend and I plan on going.
SammyKhalifa

attendance

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Bad Weather can't be an excuse but is certainly a contributing factor.  If the team sucked but it was 72 every day there would certainly be more people there.  If the team was 25-0 but every day was freezing rain, there would also be higher attendance; but it would not be as high as if it were nice. 
Ecbucs

attendance

Post by Ecbucs »

I imagine with the weather most of the people showing up are ones who have purchased tickets in advance.

I don't go to bad weather games unless I'm on a vacation somewhere and won't get a chance to go to a game there again.

To me, what the attendance really shows is that the Bucs didn't sell many advance tickets this off-season.
SammyKhalifa

attendance

Post by SammyKhalifa »

That is true as well
dogknot17@yahoo.co

attendance

I know a few times they gave fans tickets to another game in the lower sections for showing up in the cold.