Something To Think About

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Something To Think About

Post by fjk090852-7 »

As we sit here today the lease at PNC Park expires in 11 years after the 2030 season. I am going to assume Bob Nutting still holds the controlling interest in the team. Between now and 2030 there were a couple seasons with good attendance, but overall attendance has been on the downward side. Hurdle and Huntington have been gone for several years,and it is now over 50 years since the 1979 World Series. Nutting decides to invoke the out clause in the Agreement and moves the team to Sacramento or Nashville. The Pittsburgh politicians attempt to stop the move, but with no success. During the offseason a press release is distributed announcing that a AAA team will play their games at the former PNC Park in 2031.
Tintin

Something To Think About

Post by Tintin »

Come to Charlotte. I’m cool with that.
IABucFan

Something To Think About

Post by IABucFan »

4945441F161F171A1D02182F0 wrote: As we sit here today the lease at PNC Park expires in 11 years after the 2030 season. I am going to assume Bob Nutting still holds the controlling interest in the team. Between now and 2030 there were a couple seasons with good attendance, but overall attendance has been on the downward side. Hurdle and Huntington have been gone for several years,and it is now over 50 years since the 1979 World Series. Nutting decides to invoke the out clause in the Agreement and moves the team to Sacramento or Nashville. The Pittsburgh politicians attempt to stop the move, but with no success. During the offseason a press release is distributed announcing that a AAA team will play their games at the former PNC Park in 2031.

I don’t see it, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. There are a lot of cities that would love to have an MLB team.
rucker59@gmail.com

Something To Think About

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I think it’s absolutely possible. I’ve stated this several times. Nutting will, from all apparences, do whatever brings the very last dollar into his pockets. The fans will be blamed.

The fact MLB allows this thief to continue is also inexcusable.

It makes me want to puke.
ScottinMass

Something To Think About

Post by ScottinMass »

7D71702B222B232E29362C1B0 wrote: As we sit here today the lease at PNC Park expires in 11 years after the 2030 season. I am going to assume Bob Nutting still holds the controlling interest in the team. Between now and 2030 there were a couple seasons with good attendance, but overall attendance has been on the downward side. Hurdle and Huntington have been gone for several years,and it is now over 50 years since the 1979 World Series. Nutting decides to invoke the out clause in the Agreement and moves the team to Sacramento or Nashville. The Pittsburgh politicians attempt to stop the move, but with no success. During the offseason a press release is distributed announcing that a AAA team will play their games at the former PNC Park in 2031.
So my man cave can stay decorated with Pirate stuff until at least 2030...
SammyKhalifa

Something To Think About

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm not real convinced. If they were going to leave they would have before the stadium. I know the lease will be up, but there would be multiple legal challenges before he could even think about it. He might dangle it to get a better deal (like Mario did I should mention) but in the end I do not think it would happen.
PMike

Something To Think About

Post by PMike »

Nutting isn't taking the team anywhere else. He's from here. He has talked about giving the franchise to his daughters(?). He will keep them here, keep the risk low and the profits solid. There is no need, or IMO, desire, to go elsewhere with them.

Personally, I think he really likes baseball, loves "owning a MLB team" especially the local one, wants to win but not willing to risk family money into doing that, and ultimately wants to keep the bottom line in the black. He seems like a fine business man. The problem is, that will likely never result in winning a championship in this market. And secondly, that group of attributes doesn't sit well for fans in American sports.
Ecbucs

Something To Think About

Post by Ecbucs »

160B2F2D23460 wrote: Nutting isn't taking the team anywhere else.  He's from here.  He has talked about giving the franchise to his daughters(?).  He will keep them here, keep the risk low and the profits solid.  There is no need, or IMO, desire, to go elsewhere with them.

Personally, I think he really likes baseball, loves "owning a MLB team" especially the local one, wants to win but not willing to risk family money into doing that, and ultimately wants to keep the bottom line in the black.  He seems like a fine business man.  [highlight]The problem is, that will likely never result in winning a championship in this market[/highlight].  And secondly, that group of attributes doesn't sit well for fans in American sports.

This hits the nail on the head. The goal has changed from competing for championships year in and year out (no window) to being competitive. Definition of being competitive is a shot at reaching the wild card in August.
PMike

Something To Think About

Post by PMike »

6F49485F49592A0 wrote: Nutting isn't taking the team anywhere else.  He's from here.  He has talked about giving the franchise to his daughters(?).  He will keep them here, keep the risk low and the profits solid.  There is no need, or IMO, desire, to go elsewhere with them.

Personally, I think he really likes baseball, loves "owning a MLB team" especially the local one, wants to win but not willing to risk family money into doing that, and ultimately wants to keep the bottom line in the black.  He seems like a fine business man.  [highlight]The problem is, that will likely never result in winning a championship in this market[/highlight].  And secondly, that group of attributes doesn't sit well for fans in American sports.

This hits the nail on the head.  The goal has changed from competing for championships year in and year out (no window) to being competitive.  Definition of being competitive is a shot at reaching the wild card in August.

I don't think there has ever been a change in the goals. The goal is always to win a championship. But another goal is to have a very low (non-existent) chance of losing money. And I think that is the number one goal. Everything is predicated off that. I think he'd love to win if he could keep the payroll under $100 million. Of course, so would everyone else.
Ecbucs

Something To Think About

Post by Ecbucs »

160B2F2D23460 wrote: Nutting isn't taking the team anywhere else.  He's from here.  He has talked about giving the franchise to his daughters(?).  He will keep them here, keep the risk low and the profits solid.  There is no need, or IMO, desire, to go elsewhere with them.

This hits the nail on the head.  The goal has changed from competing for championships year in and year out (no window) to being competitive.  Definition of being competitive is a shot at reaching the wild card in August.

I don't think there has ever been a change in the goals.  The goal is always to win a championship.  But another goal is to have a very low (non-existent) chance of losing money.  And I think that is the number one goal.  Everything is predicated off that.  I think he'd love to win if he could keep the payroll under $100 million.  Of course, so would everyone else.

well before the winning years NH talked about no window and competing for championships every year. He doesn't say that anymore. The way you state it is a wish, not a goal that you can make plans to reach. Whereas the money goal most likely is well spelled out on how to reach and various options to make sure it happens.