A Look At The Past

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

A Look At The Past

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I looked up the Pirates record on May 19, 1979 and surprisingly they were 16-18. I think I remember they were very strong in August and September that year which lead to the Division Title. In June that year they traded for Madlock which was a boost to the lineup. Fast forward to 2019 and we have several key players on the IL. Taillon maybe out the longest, but hopefully he returns prior to the All Star Game. If we continue to keep winning and staying over .500 could a boost by the return of these injured players get this team in the hunt for the Central Division? The Cubs and Brewers are tough, but we have had success against them in the past. Here’s hoping!
rucker59@gmail.com

A Look At The Past

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

My thoughts:

If Polanco hits for power or Dickerson does

If Archer can be a legit middle of the rotation guy.

If Taillon recovers and steps up his game....

I think the Pirates are a WC team and can contend for the division. I’m waiting to see the Brewers in PNC, but I don’t think the Cubs, Brewers or Cardinals outclass the Pirates.

IABucFan

A Look At The Past

Post by IABucFan »

They're on an 86-87 win pace over the course of the year. That would be on the fringe for contending for the WC. My general rule of thumb is that 90 wins almost certainly gets you at least the WC game. So, they need to pick up the pace a little, but not much.
Roberto218

A Look At The Past

Post by Roberto218 »

88 game pace now.
CTBucco

A Look At The Past

Post by CTBucco »

You just can’t compare this team to ‘79. That team had a lot of established talent - Parker, Stargell, Moreno, Madlock, Candy Man, Blyleven, Teke. It also had a lot of established complimentary players - Scrap Iron, Foli, Bill Robinson, Milner, Ott, Romo, Grant Jackson.
Bobster21

A Look At The Past

Post by Bobster21 »

2235231402020E610 wrote: You just can’t compare this team to ‘79. That team had a lot of established talent - Parker, Stargell, Moreno, Madlock, Candy Man, Blyleven, Teke. It also had a lot of established complimentary players - Scrap Iron, Foli, Bill Robinson, Milner, Ott, Romo, Grant Jackson.

Yes, you can't rally compare. That team had so much more talent. It's just like when some defend Hurdle's constant lineup changes to play everyone by saying Leyland did it too. But Leyland had more talent and a much deeper bench. He didn't put out weak lineups just for the sake of playing everyone. At least this year with guys like Caberra and Reynolds in the OF and a not much difference between his SSs, Hurdle's lineups are about the same talent-wise regardless of who he plays. But too often in past seasons, we've seen him essentially throw games away with weak lineups that didn't have to be used except that he wanted everyone to play. It's just difficult to compare teams of different eras, different talent, different opponents.

SteadyFreddy

A Look At The Past

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think Archer really needs to step it up and be a guy who can carry this pitching staff in both Taillon and Williams absence. I think they will continue to get good results from both Musgrove and Lyles. If Archer can step up and carry the load and you get Dickerson back and this outfield Platoon of Melky, Reynolds,Polanco and Marte can continue to be consistent this Pirates team can stay in this race and at the very least make a strong case to win one of those two wildcard spots.
IABucFan

A Look At The Past

Post by IABucFan »

75524347425F60544342425F260 wrote: I think Archer really needs to step it up and be a guy who can carry this pitching staff in both Taillon and Williams absence. I think they will continue to get good results from both Musgrove and Lyles. If Archer can step up and carry the load and you get Dickerson back and this outfield Platoon  of Melky, Reynolds,Polanco and Marte can continue to be consistent this Pirates team can stay in this race and at the very least make a strong case to win one of those two wildcard spots.

This is crazy, but I actually agree with you. Archer is kind of the wild card right now. Kela is throwing a sim game on Wednesday, so he should be back soon. I thought I saw something that said Dickerson was getting close. Hopefully, Williams is nothing serious and he'll only miss a start or two. Archer needs to step up. He doesn't need to be dominant, just keep the team in the game.
Bobster21

A Look At The Past

Post by Bobster21 »

656D6E594F6A4D422C0 wrote: I think Archer really needs to step it up and be a guy who can carry this pitching staff in both Taillon and Williams absence. I think they will continue to get good results from both Musgrove and Lyles. If Archer can step up and carry the load and you get Dickerson back and this outfield Platoon  of Melky, Reynolds,Polanco and Marte can continue to be consistent this Pirates team can stay in this race and at the very least make a strong case to win one of those two wildcard spots.

This is crazy, but I actually agree with you. Archer is kind of the wild card right now. Kela is throwing a sim game on Wednesday, so he should be back soon. I thought I saw something that said Dickerson was getting close. Hopefully, Williams is nothing serious and he'll only miss a start or two. Archer needs to step up. He doesn't need to be dominant, just keep the team in the game.
It would be great if Archer anchored the staff but that would require him to pitch better than he has done in 2016, 17, 18 and so far in 19. He's been pretty consistently less than a standout pitcher since 2015.
IABucFan

A Look At The Past

Post by IABucFan »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote: I think Archer really needs to step it up and be a guy who can carry this pitching staff in both Taillon and Williams absence. I think they will continue to get good results from both Musgrove and Lyles. If Archer can step up and carry the load and you get Dickerson back and this outfield Platoon  of Melky, Reynolds,Polanco and Marte can continue to be consistent this Pirates team can stay in this race and at the very least make a strong case to win one of those two wildcard spots.

It would be great if Archer anchored the staff but that would require him to pitch better than he has done in 2016, 17, 18 and so far in 19. He's been pretty consistently less than a standout pitcher since 2015. 

I don't disagree with this. I'm just saying what we need out of him.