Musgrove says what all of us have been preaching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I saw this. Props to him. Management probably didn’t realize they were getting someone who wouldn’t toe the party line when they made the Cole trade. I’ve defended NH when others wouldn’t. I’ve tried defending ownership. But, it’s simply indefensible to run an MLB team with three starting pitchers in your rotation, especially when you are ostensibly competing for a playoff spot. While no one could have predicted that Taillon and Musgrove would get injured, EVERYONE could have predicted that SOMEONE would get injured, because it happens every year to every team.

Two years ago, they thought it would be cute to try to play half the year with two real outfielders on the roster. They’ve tried playing with no true first baseman before when they tried the Pedro Alvarez experiment.

Injuries happen. Every year to every team. All the more reason to have a contingency plan. Michael Feliz is not a contingency plan. Kingham, Brault, Rookie Davis, they aren’t either.

I’m not ready to give up on Kingham. I think he has a future as a solid #3-4 starter. But, right now, I’m not sure he could get AA hitters out.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Musgrove is repeating what Freese and Harrison said: that this organization does not prioritize winning. I'm sure every player in the clubhouse is aware that they are in an organization that doesn't care about winning. 

On top of that, Archer, who was acquired despite not being good since 2015,  is terrible. And Musgrove, who struggled as a starter for Houston, has now been awful thru May. What we're seeing is an organization, that doesn't prioritize winning, making the normal minimal, if even that, moves when needs arise.   
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I actually had high hopes heading into the season relative to the starting rotation with a solid 4. Williams was my ? as far as being able to carry over the success in 2018. Felt Archer would have a rebound season and our problem would be Lyles. NH got taken to the cleaners in that Archer deal and I bet he is spooked. He paid a 2015 price on Archer, not a 2017 or 2018 price.

There is no way ownership and management can bring up desires to win a title at the start of 2020. Haven't reinvested the money saved on trades or players that leave via free agency. 20 million come off the books in Cervelli and Dickerson. A assume the club picks up the option of Archer and Marte's club option will be picked up at 11.5. Kang (3), Chisenhall (2.75), Lyles (2), Liriano (1.8), Melky (1.15) are also off the books.
BenM

Post by BenM »

4858596E7878741B0 wrote: I actually had high hopes heading into the season relative to the starting rotation with a solid 4.  Williams was my ? as far as being able to carry over the success in 2018.  Felt Archer would have a rebound season and our problem would be Lyles.  NH got taken to the cleaners in that Archer deal and I bet he is spooked.  He paid a 2015 price on Archer, not a 2017 or 2018 price.

There is no way ownership and management can bring up desires to win a title at the start of 2020.  Haven't reinvested the money saved on trades or players that leave via free agency.  20 million come off the books in Cervelli and Dickerson.  A assume the club picks up the option of Archer and Marte's club option will be picked up at 11.5.  Kang (3), Chisenhall (2.75), Lyles (2), Liriano (1.8), Melky (1.15) are also off the books.

Is the team going to have a payroll in the sixties next year?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4151506771717D120 wrote: I actually had high hopes heading into the season relative to the starting rotation with a solid 4.  Williams was my ? as far as being able to carry over the success in 2018.  Felt Archer would have a rebound season and our problem would be Lyles.  NH got taken to the cleaners in that Archer deal and I bet he is spooked.  He paid a 2015 price on Archer, not a 2017 or 2018 price.

There is no way ownership and management can bring up desires to win a title at the start of 2020.  Haven't reinvested the money saved on trades or players that leave via free agency.  20 million come off the books in Cervelli and Dickerson.  A assume the club picks up the option of Archer and Marte's club option will be picked up at 11.5.  Kang (3), Chisenhall (2.75), Lyles (2), Liriano (1.8), Melky (1.15) are also off the books.

no gm is perfect, but NH has to be great to put together a contender within the Bucco budget. 

It is clear that NH isn't great. 

You just can't go 50=50 or even 60-40 on deals and help the team especially when you are not drafting high ceiling players consistently (which nobody does so why do the Pirates think that is how they can win?)

How can you expect players to hustle all the time if they can tell management isn't trying?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1F3833105D0 wrote: I actually had high hopes heading into the season relative to the starting rotation with a solid 4.  Williams was my ? as far as being able to carry over the success in 2018.  Felt Archer would have a rebound season and our problem would be Lyles.  NH got taken to the cleaners in that Archer deal and I bet he is spooked.  He paid a 2015 price on Archer, not a 2017 or 2018 price.

Is the team going to have a payroll in the sixties next year?
My guess is they will pick up Marte’s option, but he will be moved. His 11.5 million salary will also come off the books.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I want to buy a Pirates jersey and personalize it. I’m going to get “Nutting,” as the name and $$ as the number.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

2A2221160025020D630 wrote: I want to buy a Pirates jersey and personalize it. I’m going to get “Nutting,” as the name and $$ as the number.

Good Luck with that one!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

72535B725951360 wrote: I want to buy a Pirates jersey and personalize it. I’m going to get “Nutting,” as the name and $$ as the number.

Good Luck with that one!

That would be awesome! Go for it Ia!

Would we could bring back the Irate jerseys.