Is It Time For Kingham To Go

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

He gives you that game or a few successful innings, but lately it has been rather bad. I am aware he cannot be optioned to Indy without exposing him to the waivers, but I think we have seen enough of Nick Kingham.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I have said this since early in the season. He isn't a MLB pitcher that gives you a chance. Neither does Rookie Davis.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5C50510A030A020F08170D3A0 wrote: He gives you that game or a few successful innings, but lately it has been rather bad. I am aware he cannot be optioned to Indy without exposing him to the waivers, but I think we have seen enough of Nick Kingham.

What's truly frustrating is that Nick will wind up being a productive pitcher for another team, just the latest Pirate pitcher that flounders here but goes on to a decent or better career with someone else.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7D7A6C646A7D3A364F68626E6663216C60620F0 wrote: He gives you that game or a few successful innings, but lately it has been rather bad. I am aware he cannot be optioned to Indy without exposing him to the waivers, but I think we have seen enough of Nick Kingham.

What's truly frustrating is that Nick will wind up being a productive pitcher for another team, just the latest Pirate pitcher that flounders here but goes on to a decent or better career with someone else. 

If that happens the Pirates better then look at the pitching coaches,as well as their pitching techniques. We can’t afford to send decent and payroll controllable arms to other teams.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In Kinghams last 10 innings he has surrendered 14 runs. You cannot have a pitcher on your roster with those stats. If they are afraid to lose him on a waiver claim, then IL him with a minor injury.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Kingham just looks like a AAA pitcher throwing BP. What is his upside supposed to be? I don't see any + pitches. I don't see any potential for improvement.

ERA 9.61 (OMG!)

WHIP 2.019 (2+ base runners per inning is not exactly a formula for success).

34.2 IP with 53 hits, 17 BBs and 37 ERs. The base paths are essentially a merry-go-round when he's pitching.

He's been scored upon in each of his last 7 games and 8 of 9.

I think it's not a stretch to suggest a fan could be chosen from the stands at random to pitch and do equally well.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Oh, gosh, if Nutting hears that, Bobster, I can just see the new promotion for next year. Forget bobbleheads -- they call your ticket in the fifth inning, you have to be in the stands, you come out to start the 6th, and you get a commemorative tape of the appearance.
PMike

Post by PMike »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: Kingham just looks like a AAA pitcher throwing BP. What is his upside supposed to be? I don't see any + pitches. I don't see any potential for improvement.

ERA 9.61 (OMG!)

34.2 IP with 53 hits, 17 BBs and 37 ERs. The base paths are essentially a merry-go-round when he's pitching.

I think it's not a stretch to suggest a fan could be chosen from the stands at random to pitch and do equally well.

I feel bad for the guy. He was looking like a top prospect before TJ. He has never been the same since then. He never regained his mid-upper 90s fastball and top notch control.

I'm not a fan of simply releasing him, but he can't stay on the MLB roster. I'd send him through waivers to the minors. If he makes it through, great. If not, try and work out a trade for a low level prospect with some potential. I don't think Kingham is washed up, I think he is just in a bad place here.
BenM

Post by BenM »

6D6F757365000 wrote: Oh, gosh, if Nutting hears that, Bobster, I can just see the new promotion for next year. Forget bobbleheads -- they call your ticket in the fifth inning, you have to be in the stands, you come out to start the 6th, and you get a commemorative tape of the appearance.

I imagined it going the other way. The person who throws out the first pitch stays on the mound and becomes the "opener".
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

514C686A64010 wrote: Kingham just looks like a AAA pitcher throwing BP. What is his upside supposed to be? I don't see any + pitches. I don't see any potential for improvement.

ERA 9.61 (OMG!)

I feel bad for the guy.  He was looking like a top prospect before TJ.  He has never been the same since then.  He never regained his mid-upper 90s fastball and top notch control.

I'm not a fan of simply releasing him, but he can't stay on the MLB roster.  I'd send him through waivers to the minors.  If he makes it through, great.  If not, try and work out a trade for a low level prospect with some potential.  I don't think Kingham is washed up, I think he is just in a bad place here.

I think that's a good approach. Using him in any game is counterproductive. Losing him on waivers wouldn't matter. His pitching has regressed to the point of Van Benschotenism.