How about some accountability...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates are now 6-14 since May 19th. They went from being 4 games over .500 to 4 games under .500 since then in a 3 week span. They are 7 games out of 1st place behind 3 teams that are clearly better then them, and are currently 1 game out of being in last place behind the Reds. They were leading the 2nd wildcard on May 19th and are now currently 5.5 games out of the 2nd wildcard and have essentially dropped 6 games in the standings there as well. And they currently have the 2nd worst run differential in the NL at a pathetic -78 which was bound to catch up to them sooner or later in the standings.

So I have to ask with all that I have stated above where is the accountability within this organization from the coaching staff and Hurdle to the GM in Huntington. When will somebody pay the price for these kind of results instead of them just continuing to sit back and do nothing and act like everything is okay when it’s really not. And with it being only early June and 50 home games still remaining Bob Nutting and this front office is going to see how badly this attendance drops off this summer if this team continue to spiral out of control and not play any meaningful games. It’s going to get ugly and a lot worse before it gets better. And this owner and this front office deserve every damn bit of it as well.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't think Nutting cares. He gave 4-year extensions to NH and CH and it was obviously not for how they operated the team. There's no accountability and there isn't likely to be any anytime soon.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bobster pretty much summed it up. Plus, I'm guessing everyone involved points to the injuries and says but for that we'd be contenders.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

3A38222432570 wrote: Bobster pretty much summed it up. Plus, I'm guessing everyone involved points to the injuries and says but for that we'd be contenders.

Yep. Fire the trainers
mouse

Post by mouse »

Here's a nice summary of where the Pirates are now, from mlbtr.com

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/ ... ngham.html
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I know that some players sneak up on teams to deliver unexpected results, but the failure of management to understand what you have in-house is poor talent evaluation and results in unnecessary moves or moves that should have been made.

Players who have delivered.

1) Kevin Newman - Based on early performances, perhaps we actually had a starting shortstop in our grasp all along. With Newman's development and Tucker's promising outlook, Gonzalez was not really a need; particularly when Gonzalez's ceiling appears to be Jody Mercer light.

2) Reynolds - Geez, didn't anyone in the organization actually notice that we had the best replacement for Polanco already in the organization rather than needing to sign Chisenhall who is likely to never take an at-bat with the major league team. While I don't think anyone is expecting Reynolds to continue at his current pace, he clearly looks like a major league regular.

3) Moran - While Moran and Kang were in a semi-regular platoon at the beginning of the season, Kang clearly was getting the most at-bats. Perhaps Kang has recovered some of his stroke during his short stay in AAA, but Moran seems to have more long-term value.

On the Other End

Kingham. Kingham's stock has fallen so far. Team has chosen to keep any number of poor relievers on the team rather than using him in a similar capacity. In spring training he was being counted on as the 6th starter. Overestimating his value is one reason why the starting pitching can not overcome an injury.

Kela. What is with this guy? He was initially heralded as the equivalent of a co-closer, but now I question if he will ever even be a future option in the pen.

Collectively, the bullpen back-ups. Vasquez, Liriano (who has pitched much better than expected), and Crick. The remainder, below pedestrian levels, and many are down and hurting. Bucs needed more arms this off-season but no one stepped up to address the situation.

Kang. Maybe he does still have something left in the tank, but the results through the first 2.5 months have not been promising.

Lyles, Musgrove and Archer. All have shown flashes of being a solid starter, but none of them have even sustained that level of performance for the first 2.5 months. Counting on all 3 to deliver (as management did) does not reflect well on their talent evaluation.

Oh well --- Accountability. Not a trait that can be associated with the Pirate organization. The problem starts with Nutting, with another doss of Nutting, and the topping on the shake also being Nutting. NH and Hurdle are merely an extension of Nutting's lack of accountability.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Good post, MaineBucs. To that, I would also add:

They knew they had a special talent in Glasnow but couldn't figure out how to help him with his confidence issue.

They thought they were acquiring a stud pitcher in Archer even though he had regressed to mediocrity the 2.5 years prior to that trade.

They didn't seem to put much stock in Luplow and included him in the unnecessary Gonzalez deal. He now has 8 HRs for Cleveland, which would be the 3rd best on the Pirates.

They were quick to hand Harold Ramirez to Toronto to get the Blue Jays to pay Liriano for them. Ramirez was only 21 and was hitting .306 at Altoona at the time. Now he's 24 and hitting .312 for the Marlins.

The inability to properly assess talent is killing this team.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Not according to Bob Nutting Bobster. According to him at the start of the season he said there is as much talent both in the Minor Leagues as their is up here with the Major League club. Clearly Nutting like with most things has no idea what he is talking about imagine that huh??
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the Pirates have a lot of accountability.

It goes like a dollar for me, another dollar for me etc.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

45627377726F50647372726F160 wrote: Not according to Bob Nutting Bobster. According to him at the start of the season he said there is as much talent both in the Minor Leagues as their is up here with the Major League club. Clearly Nutting like with most things has no idea what he is talking about imagine that huh??

He must have been referring to the pitching. It's about the same on the Pirates as in the minors. :D