Braves looking at Vazquez?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

I was listening to the MLB channel talking about the Braves needing relief help and out of the blue stated Vazquez may be number one on their list to trade for. Are their any MLB ready pitchers that can help the buccos? Assume if it were to happen that Crick slides in to that spot until we see what happens with Burdi? Love the speculation though
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Drew Waters (AA-OF) and William Contreras (AA-C) plus maybe a pitching prospect from their top 20 prospects? Kyle Muller (AA - big LHSP)? Kolby Allard (AAA - finesse LHSP)? Send him to the Trevor Williams Low Power Pitching Charter School.

A lot of their top 20 at are AA/AAA. They would be a good trade partner for Felipe.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'd guess that there are about 29 teams looking at Vazquez. Can't stop other teams from wishing but I don't think he's going anywhere.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would hate to lose Vazquez, but I always heard the Braves have a strong farm system. If they want him they should be willing to trade some of their high end prospects.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Most of the Braves' top guys are in the majors now, except some dude named Pache that they probably wouldn't move.

So they have a bunch of pitchers, if they would move both Anderson and Wright, I think the Pirates would have to do that.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

I'm of two minds on this. I've always believed (and still do) that the closer role is overrated. The Pirates have shown that all you need is an above average reliever with decent control to fill the slot. But at the same time, it sure is nice to see Vasquez come into the game, and know that for once the Pirates are making the other team think "oh crap." Maybe the one or two saves Vasquez will get you that Melancon or Grilli wouldn't have aren't worth the emphasis we put on the position, but he sure makes it fun!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4A4E4671677742656A040 wrote: I'm of two minds on this. I've always believed (and still do) that the closer role is overrated. The Pirates have shown that all you need is an above average reliever with decent control to fill the slot. But at the same time, it sure is nice to see Vasquez come into the game, and know that for once the Pirates are making the other team think "oh crap." Maybe the one or two saves Vasquez will get you that Melancon or Grilli wouldn't have aren't worth the emphasis we put on the position, but he sure makes it fun!

I definitely want a good closer when the team is in the playoffs. IT doesn't matter that much before that. But we don't need a Stan Belinda if the World Series.

Trading Vazquez could strengthen the rest of the team enough to make them serious contenders (lets say the 2 pitching prospects from Atlanta).
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

If Nutting doesn't want to try by putting in more resources, what's the point of having Vasquez? I would try to get it into a bidding war. I wonder how desperate the braves would be. Newcombe is back. He would intrigue me with a "ready" arm for MLB. Ask for Ian Anderson and Kolby Allard. Wright got shelled earlier and is getting pounded in AAA right now. As for a ton. Give me three arms.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I don’t trust NH getting a great return for Vazquez. Even if he did and by some miracle the Pirates make the playoffs;Vazquez and the Braves would deny them a trip to the WS just like 91 and 92.

Plus I don’t think Crick is the answer as the replacement for the Nightmare.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0E2B28283D162B232136440 wrote: I don’t trust NH getting a great return for Vazquez.

Actually, if there's anything at all that you would trust about the organization it's that they'll get a good return for a closer.