Pittsburgh Area Baseball Greats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

This afternoon, I attended the dedication of a statue to the great Lefty Grove in his hometown of Lonaconing, Maryland.

If Lefty had been a Pirate, he would have been their best pitcher ever. Where I'm going with this is, what other all time greats grew up in the Pirates marketing area?

Obviously, Stan Musial and, for his early youth, Ken Griffey, Junior.

Who else is out there?

If we get a decent list, it might be a lively debate if the team of locals could beat the Pirates all time team.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

good post.

Dick Allen from Wampum, Honus Wagner, Buddy Bell,Art Howe,Bpb Moose, Glenn Beckert, Matt Clement, Maz (at least in region), Tekulve (in region), Ronnie Kline, Jack Clark,Sam McDowell, Doc Medich, Frank Thomas, Dick Groat, Tito Francona, Rube Waddell, Bob Purkey, Cory Mazzoni (only because he went to my high school) Garry Peters, John Stupor (went to college with him), Chuck Tanner, Scott Thompson, Pete Vukovich, Neil Walker and good old John Wehner.

Must be some good players missing from my list.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Bobby Del Greco, Tony Bartirome.
GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

Most would not know of Lefty Grove being from the Pirates area unless I brought it up. He wound up signing with a minor league team in Martinsburg, and then to the Baltimore Orioles for four years in the International League before Connie Mack bought his contract for $100,000 in 1924.

Bob Robertson comes from the same general area...about ten miles up the road. Leo Mazzone...long time Braves Pitching Coach...about ten miles down the road from Lefty.

I've always wanted to ask Mazzone if he ever had time to chat with Lefty. That would be a neat baseball continuum...Grove, through Mazzone (also a left hander), to Maddux, Glavine (LHP) and Smoltz.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Moses Fleetwood Walker went to Steubenville High School
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

And how about the niekro brothers? They're from down the river in Martin's Ferry Ohio
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Matt Adams, Jedd Gyrko
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Terry Francona
Buccobill

Post by Buccobill »

I watched Terry on numerous occasions through high school and legion ball. I honestly don't remember him ever swinging and missing or even fouling off a pitch. Every time he decided to swing he just drilled it somewhere.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

033422222E23282D2D410 wrote: I watched Terry on numerous occasions through high school and legion ball. I honestly don't remember him ever swinging and missing or even fouling off a pitch.  Every time he decided to swing he just drilled it somewhere.

that will get a scouts attention.