Two Future Roster Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Either before or after the All Star Break both Cervelli and Eric Gonzalez will come off the IL and return to the 25 man roster. Two current players will either have to become injured, sent to Indy, or placed on waivers. Somehow we will probably hear that Stallings has a muscle strain, and will land on the IL. The other move may be more difficult. I am going to assume the players who may come off the roster are Kang or Osuna. Osuna does not deserve to return to Indy. Three pinch hit homers, and his overall play should keep him as one of the bench players. Kang has struggled this season, and would the Bucs designate him for assignment? Sometimes you have to make those tough decisions and this could be one of them this season.
SammyKhalifa

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Stallings has made it through waivers once already, right?
fjk090852-7

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7F4D41415567444D40454A4D2C0 wrote: Stallings has made it through waivers once already, right?

I think they would be lucky if he makes it through again. Some team will claim him. In my opinion besides being a good catcher, he is like having another coach in the dugout. It seems like Musgrove and Archer have listened to suggestions he has made to them.
Bobster21

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

I suspect Kang will be moved and Stallings will be "injured." I think Stallings has opened some eyes since his 2nd stint this season. He is developing a reputation as being good with the pitchers (counseling Musgrove in the dugout and becoming Archer's personal catcher) and has hit well. He's an ideal 2nd string catcher and Cervelli's time is limited. He passed thru waivers after his nondescript first stint this year but I doubt he would make it thru again.
SammyKhalifa

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, I like him too. I don't know if he would go though waivers either.

Now Kang I believe is sure to go through waivers. Who's going to pick him up because of that one time he was good like three years ago.
Ecbucs

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by Ecbucs »

0D3F33332715363F3237383F5E0 wrote: Yeah, I like him too.  I don't know if he would go though waivers either.

Now Kang I believe is sure to go through waivers.  Who's going to pick him up because of that one time he was good like three years ago.

yeah, the clock has about run out on Kang. If he can hit 250 over his next 40 at bats (if the Bucs even give him that many) with a couple extra base hits he may show he has something left in the tank. But he is only 5 for his last 33 so that isn't showing much.
Bobster21

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

Kang might even have an option left. He made his MLB debut in 2015 without ever being optioned to the minors. He spent a little time in Indy in 2016 but that was a rehab assignment following his season ending injury in 2015. He was optioned when he returned in 2018, so that would be 1 option. He spent time at Indy this year on a rehab assignment. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like he has 1 if not 2 options left. If so he would benefit from playing everyday at Indy.
NJBucsFan

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by NJBucsFan »

Wow, I almost forgot about Gonzalez. With the emergence of Newman, what role does he even have at this point? Even with Kang's struggles so far, I think I'd prefer him to Gonzalez as a utility piece, and agreed that you don't want to lose Osuna.
mouse

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by mouse »

You have to wonder if they aren't pursuing trades for Gonzalez (and perhaps others) right now.
SteadyFreddy

Two Future Roster Moves

Post by SteadyFreddy »

There is no way Gonzalez comes back and plays over Newman. This was a terrible acquisition by Neal to begin with and it looks even worse now with the emergence of Newman at short and how well he has performed in the leadoff spot. Gonzalez has no future with this Pirates team as a starter moving forward the way I see it.