Mason Martin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

Has been my favorite prospect for 3 years now. I have nominated him twice in our top 30 poll. So I might be a little partial , but are you all following his year at A ball ? He was great in his first year , fell off last year and is killing it this year.

As we speak he has 20 HR and 75 RBI. That eats the league by 5 and 17. He's a very patient hitter although he does strike out too much. Average is around .260.
ScottinMass

Mason Martin

Post by ScottinMass »

Problem for him is going to be strikeouts. Hopefully he can get it figured out before he moves to Florida State League which is a very good pitcher's league. Martin has 101 K's this year in 281 AB's. Last year was 149 K's combined in 373 AB's.
steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

15252932322F280B273535460 wrote: Problem for him is going to be strikeouts. Hopefully he can get it figured out before he moves to Florida State League which is a very good pitcher's league. Martin has 101 K's this year in 281 AB's. Last year was 149 K's combined in 373 AB's.

Yep.. 39% last year .... 36% this year. In all fairness not that unusual for a power hitter that just turned 20. Also walks at a very good rate ....
steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

Just an update on my man child. So far 1-2 . A HR with 3 humans on.
CTBucco

Mason Martin

Post by CTBucco »

Yeah. I like Martin too. We don't tend to have many power hitters in the system, especially HS guys with upside. I don't know if there are specific pitches he really struggles to make contact with, but I feel like a guy his age can improve. You know, based on my extensive experience coaching MLB prospects. :D
DemDog

Mason Martin

Post by DemDog »

6D7A6C5B4D4D412E0 wrote: Yeah.  I like Martin too.  We don't tend to have many power hitters in the system, especially HS guys with upside.  I don't know if there are specific pitches he really struggles to make contact with, but I feel like a guy his age can improve.  You know, based on my extensive experience coaching MLB prospects.   :D

So far with you coaching MLB prospects CTBucco I would say you are on your way to the HOF! 8-)
CTBucco

Mason Martin

Post by CTBucco »

06272F062D25420 wrote: Yeah.  I like Martin too.  We don't tend to have many power hitters in the system, especially HS guys with upside.  I don't know if there are specific pitches he really struggles to make contact with, but I feel like a guy his age can improve.  You know, based on my extensive experience coaching MLB prospects.   :D

So far with you coaching MLB prospects CTBucco I would say you are on your way to the HOF!   8-)

I do coach my daughter's 9U softball team. So, there's that. :)
DemDog

Mason Martin

Post by DemDog »

5146506771717D120 wrote: Yeah.  I like Martin too.  We don't tend to have many power hitters in the system, especially HS guys with upside.  I don't know if there are specific pitches he really struggles to make contact with, but I feel like a guy his age can improve.  You know, based on my extensive experience coaching MLB prospects.   :D

So far with you coaching MLB prospects CTBucco I would say you are on your way to the HOF!   8-)

I do coach my daughter's 9U softball team. So, there's that.  :)

She's a lucky gal having a daddy willing to spend time with her and teaching her the game.
steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

5245536472727E110 wrote: Yeah.  I like Martin too.  We don't tend to have many power hitters in the system, especially HS guys with upside.  I don't know if there are specific pitches he really struggles to make contact with, but I feel like a guy his age can improve.  You know, based on my extensive experience coaching MLB prospects.   :D

Another HR for M.M. which is # 22. I know it's a small sample size but in last 22 AB's he's had 8 BB and 2k. I've read that he is no longer trying to pull everything
CTBucco

Mason Martin

Post by CTBucco »

Promoted to Bradenton per PP.