Neal H. speaks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Neal H. speaks

Post by Ecbucs »

From Post Gazette as covered by MLB Trade Rumors, NH proves he is a maroon:

With the trade deadline less than three days away, Pirates GM Neal Huntington said that his front office “in the process of looking at adding to future clubs” rather than buying for a late run at a postseason berth in 2019. The Pirates have posted a nightmarish 2-14 record since the All-Star break, sending the team spiraling down the NL Central standings and leaving Huntington accepting his share of the blame.

“We haven’t overcome the challenges presented to us, and somebody has to be accountable for that — and it falls on me,” Huntington said during his KDKA-FM radio show this morning (hat tip to Nubyjas Wilborn of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette). “I am accountable for everything that goes on in baseball operations. When it doesn’t work, we have to address why it doesn’t work. At the end of the day, this is a club I felt good about when we put it together.”

Pending free agents stand out as the most logical trade candidates, though “just because a player is on an expiring contract that doesn’t mean there isn’t an opportunity to retain that player,” Huntington said. “That doesn’t mean it’s the right thing just to grab a nickel if that’s all you can get. The player may have more value to us if he continues to perform. There is still a value you need to get on a deal; otherwise, it may be best to hold on to that player.”

In terms of potential free agents, Jordan Lyles, Corey Dickerson, Melky Cabrera, and Francisco Liriano are players who have been mentioned in trade rumors and have value to 2019 contenders. Chris Archer is under control via a $9MM club option for 2020, though it seems unlikely that Pittsburgh would sell low on the struggling right-hander just a year after paying a huge price to acquire Archer from the Rays. Starling Marte is also in the last guaranteed year of his contract, as he is controlled on club options for 2020 and 2021, though there hasn’t been any indication that the Pirates would make a huge move like dealing a cost-controlled outfielder with Marte’s high ceiling.

It should be noted that Huntington didn’t confirm whether the Bucs could be both sellers and buyers, as building for the future could also entail adding pieces to help the Pirates contend as early as 2020. The Archer trade, for instance, plus last summer’s addition of Keone Kela from the Rangers, were meant to help a struggling Pirates team turn things around this year. It’s probably somewhat less likely that Huntington and company will make such a big splash of an addition again at this deadline, but by the same token, Pittsburgh also seems likely to hang onto players like Marte or oft-mentioned trade target Felipe Vazquez since they want to compete soon.

“If we were not intending to be a competitive club, then the right move would be to explore trades for Felipe. But, we like our young core,” Huntington said. “We like what we have coming up in the minor leagues. We feel that can add to this club appropriately in the offseason, and Felipe will play a key role in that.”
fjk090852-7

Neal H. speaks

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Neal has taken alot of heat over the years, but I respect him for taking the blame for how his season has gone. Bottom line we all know that he has an owner who gives him a very limited budget each year. Bob Nutting wants to run this team on a shoestring, and there is no way you can compete under those restrictions. Changes to this team should be made, because they are fundamentally weak. Hopefully some trades are made this week which will bring in some prospects that will upgrade of system. I think at seasons end, or if not sooner ownership should evaluate whether they want to continue to have Clint Hurdle lead this team, and Ray Searage remain pitching coach. I think a younger manager , and pitching coach should lead this team. Hurdle and Searage will always be remembered for leading this team from the years of losing, but for the good of the organization changes should be made.
Ecbucs

Neal H. speaks

Post by Ecbucs »

5854550E070E060B0C13093E0 wrote: Neal has taken alot of heat over the years, but I respect him for taking the blame for how his season has gone. Bottom line we all know that he has an owner who gives him a very limited budget each year. Bob Nutting wants to run this team on a shoestring, and there is no way you can compete under those restrictions. Changes to this team should be made, because they are fundamentally weak. Hopefully some trades are made this week which will bring in some prospects that will upgrade of system. I think at seasons end, or if not sooner ownership should evaluate whether they want to continue to have Clint Hurdle lead this team, and Ray Searage remain pitching coach. I think a younger manager , and pitching coach should lead this team. Hurdle and Searage will always be remembered for leading this team from the years of losing, but for the good of the organization changes should be made.

I have a very different take on Neal, my respect has totally disappeared. I think he lacks integrity. He talks about being competitive but is willing to work for an owner that sets conditions were NH can't produce what he says he wants to do. He should resign or take a job elsewhere rather than continuing to attempt to lead Pirate fans into thinking he can produce a good team (and do it repeatedly with no window needed.
SteadyFreddy

Neal H. speaks

Post by SteadyFreddy »

This is about as hopeless as things have felt in the Clint Hurdle Neal Huntington era in the last 10 years. This team moving forward is just not in a good situation. Neal is full of crap when he says they have a good young core of prospects on the way to get excited about. That’s a lie and he knows it. As you said EBucs I feel he lacks integrity also and has become nothing but a mouthpiece for Bob Nutting these last few seasons. It’s time to make a change with Hurdle and this coaching staff and with the GM. They have taken this team as far as they are gonna take them. They haven’t made the playoffs now in 4 years, they have regressed a lot the last few seasons it’s just time for a new voice in the dugout and a new GM to try and rebuild a better Minor League system and that can make better trades to acquire better players. Both of these guys are just not getting it done right now and it’s just time to move on.
rucker59@gmail.com

Neal H. speaks

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

466061766070030 wrote: Neal has taken alot of heat over the years, but I respect him for taking the blame for how his season has gone. Bottom line we all know that he has an owner who gives him a very limited budget each year. Bob Nutting wants to run this team on a shoestring, and there is no way you can compete under those restrictions. Changes to this team should be made, because they are fundamentally weak. Hopefully some trades are made this week which will bring in some prospects that will upgrade of system. I think at seasons end, or if not sooner ownership should evaluate whether they want to continue to have Clint Hurdle lead this team, and Ray Searage remain pitching coach. I think a younger manager , and pitching coach should lead this team. Hurdle and Searage will always be remembered for leading this team from the years of losing, but for the good of the organization changes should be made.

I have a very different take on Neal, my respect has totally disappeared.  I think he lacks integrity.  He talks about being competitive but is willing to work for an owner that sets conditions were NH can't produce what he says he wants to do.  He should resign or take a job elsewhere rather than continuing to attempt to lead Pirate fans into thinking he can produce a good team (and do it repeatedly with no window needed.

I’m to the point that I no longer know what the objective is for the FO. I’m starting to think Neal is primarily responsible for taking heat from Nutting. Try to field a winning team, hope to make WC occasionally and then pray for a miracle. Probably good enough for a life time contract if Neal is willing to do it. And apparently Neal is willing to accept this.
DemDog

Neal H. speaks

Post by DemDog »

NH talks just like a politician. All words that we like to hear but no meaningful actions on his or the team's part.
PMike

Neal H. speaks

Post by PMike »

6C4A4B5C4A5A290 wrote: Neal has taken alot of heat over the years, but I respect him for taking the blame for how his season has gone. Bottom line we all know that he has an owner who gives him a very limited budget each year. Bob Nutting wants to run this team on a shoestring, and there is no way you can compete under those restrictions. Changes to this team should be made, because they are fundamentally weak. Hopefully some trades are made this week which will bring in some prospects that will upgrade of system. I think at seasons end, or if not sooner ownership should evaluate whether they want to continue to have Clint Hurdle lead this team, and Ray Searage remain pitching coach. I think a younger manager , and pitching coach should lead this team. Hurdle and Searage will always be remembered for leading this team from the years of losing, but for the good of the organization changes should be made.

I have a very different take on Neal, my respect has totally disappeared.  I think he lacks integrity.  He talks about being competitive but is willing to work for an owner that sets conditions were NH can't produce what he says he wants to do.  He should resign or take a job elsewhere rather than continuing to attempt to lead Pirate fans into thinking he can produce a good team (and do it repeatedly with no window needed.

I don't see this. There are only 30 MLB GM jobs in baseball. It's not like NH can just go to a place has has unlimited funds (there are only a couple of those in baseball). Every GM has to be able to build a team (and whole organization) within a certain financial boundary. The Pirates are particularly limited because of ownership. You say that, because of those financial limitations, he can't do what he wants to do. I'd posit that almost every other GM feels the same way.

To give NH some credit, he actually did it for a 3-5 year window. Then he has kept them pretty competitive over the following years on a laughable budget. He absolutely has some flaws (drafting, development, etc.) but with such limited funds, his margin for error is pretty much non existent. Again, to his credit, he has been willing to acknowledge his mistakes along the way. The above quotes are not the first of their kind.

IMO, this is a new moment for NH. He has been able to play the "we are just a few games out" at every trade deadline. He has been able to waffle on the line of adding a little and letting go of some small pieces. Last year, he went pretty big getting Archer (a move which most of Pittsburgh and MLB applauded). This is a different moment altogether. They are not competitive at the moment. And there is reason to be suspicious for the next year or two. I think he needs to make major trades. Vazquez for sure. Maybe Marte. They need to restock AA and AAA. Minor moves, IMO, will not suffice at this moment.
Ecbucs

Neal H. speaks

Post by Ecbucs »

1F0226242A4F0 wrote: Neal has taken alot of heat over the years, but I respect him for taking the blame for how his season has gone. Bottom line we all know that he has an owner who gives him a very limited budget each year. Bob Nutting wants to run this team on a shoestring, and there is no way you can compete under those restrictions. Changes to this team should be made, because they are fundamentally weak. Hopefully some trades are made this week which will bring in some prospects that will upgrade of system. I think at seasons end, or if not sooner ownership should evaluate whether they want to continue to have Clint Hurdle lead this team, and Ray Searage remain pitching coach. I think a younger manager , and pitching coach should lead this team. Hurdle and Searage will always be remembered for leading this team from the years of losing, but for the good of the organization changes should be made.

I don't see this.  There are only 30 MLB GM jobs in baseball.  It's not like NH can just go to a place has has unlimited funds (there are only a couple of those in baseball).  Every GM has to be able to build a team (and whole organization) within a certain financial boundary.  The Pirates are particularly limited because of ownership.  You say that, because of those financial limitations, he can't do what he wants to do.  I'd posit that almost every other GM feels the same way.

To give NH some credit, he actually did it for a 3-5 year window.  Then he has kept them pretty competitive over the following years on a laughable budget.  He absolutely has some flaws (drafting, development, etc.) but with such limited funds, his margin for error is pretty much non existent.  Again, to his credit, he has been willing to acknowledge his mistakes along the way.  The above quotes are not the first of their kind.

IMO, this is a new moment for NH.  He has been able to play the "we are just a few games out" at every trade deadline.  He has been able to waffle on the line of adding a little and letting go of some small pieces.  Last year, he went pretty big getting Archer (a move which most of Pittsburgh and MLB applauded).  This is a different moment altogether.  They are not competitive at the moment.  And there is reason to be suspicious for the next year or two.  I think he needs to make major trades.  Vazquez for sure.  Maybe Marte.  They need to restock AA and AAA.  Minor moves, IMO, will not suffice at this moment.

If NH was good (say considered a top 10 gm in baseball by other teams) there would be no issue with him getting another job. He is satisfied to stay with the Bucs and Nutting. He is the one when first hired talked about winning championships and competing for them year in and year out (no window). So he has failed with what he said he was going to do. I understand people change and their positions change but I will say that looking at his entire record he is a failure. Any GM in baseball is going to make good moves and bad moves. The Pirates GM has to make a lot fewer bad moves and more good moves than other GM's to be successful. NH hasn't done that.
Bobster21

Neal H. speaks

Post by Bobster21 »

021F3B3937520 wrote: Neal has taken alot of heat over the years, but I respect him for taking the blame for how his season has gone. Bottom line we all know that he has an owner who gives him a very limited budget each year. Bob Nutting wants to run this team on a shoestring, and there is no way you can compete under those restrictions. Changes to this team should be made, because they are fundamentally weak. Hopefully some trades are made this week which will bring in some prospects that will upgrade of system. I think at seasons end, or if not sooner ownership should evaluate whether they want to continue to have Clint Hurdle lead this team, and Ray Searage remain pitching coach. I think a younger manager , and pitching coach should lead this team. Hurdle and Searage will always be remembered for leading this team from the years of losing, but for the good of the organization changes should be made.

I don't see this.  There are only 30 MLB GM jobs in baseball.  It's not like NH can just go to a place has has unlimited funds (there are only a couple of those in baseball).  Every GM has to be able to build a team (and whole organization) within a certain financial boundary.  The Pirates are particularly limited because of ownership.  You say that, because of those financial limitations, he can't do what he wants to do.  I'd posit that almost every other GM feels the same way.

To give NH some credit, he actually did it for a 3-5 year window.  Then he has kept them pretty competitive over the following years on a laughable budget.  He absolutely has some flaws (drafting, development, etc.) but with such limited funds, his margin for error is pretty much non existent.  Again, to his credit, he has been willing to acknowledge his mistakes along the way.  The above quotes are not the first of their kind.

IMO, this is a new moment for NH.  He has been able to play the "we are just a few games out" at every trade deadline.  He has been able to waffle on the line of adding a little and letting go of some small pieces.  Last year, he went pretty big getting Archer (a move which most of Pittsburgh and MLB applauded).  This is a different moment altogether.  They are not competitive at the moment.  And there is reason to be suspicious for the next year or two.  I think he needs to make major trades.  Vazquez for sure.  Maybe Marte.  They need to restock AA and AAA.  Minor moves, IMO, will not suffice at this moment.

I would disagree with the bolded comment. After 2015 they dropped from 98 wins to 78 in 2016 and fell further to only 75 wins in 2017. Last year they were still under .500 as of September 15 and only a strong final 2 weeks allowed them to finish over .500. I think the only reason we could find them competitive with such weak records is because the 2 WC team format allows essentially all teams to consider themselves in the hunt even when they are below .500, countless games behind the division leader and with numerous teams ahead of them for the 2nd WC spot. Even the Mets right now at 50-55 can point to being only 6 games out of the 2nd WC spot (of course they'd have to leap frog over 5 other teams to get there). This is what MLB wanted: to keep fans of all teams feeling they have a shot. The format works in that regard but I don't think GMs of losing teams should be credited with making them competitive after a format change practically ensured that they would be.
PMike

Neal H. speaks

Post by PMike »

654342554353200 wrote: Neal has taken alot of heat over the years, but I respect him for taking the blame for how his season has gone. Bottom line we all know that he has an owner who gives him a very limited budget each year. Bob Nutting wants to run this team on a shoestring, and there is no way you can compete under those restrictions. Changes to this team should be made, because they are fundamentally weak. Hopefully some trades are made this week which will bring in some prospects that will upgrade of system. I think at seasons end, or if not sooner ownership should evaluate whether they want to continue to have Clint Hurdle lead this team, and Ray Searage remain pitching coach. I think a younger manager , and pitching coach should lead this team. Hurdle and Searage will always be remembered for leading this team from the years of losing, but for the good of the organization changes should be made.

If NH was good (say considered a top 10 gm in baseball by other teams) there would be no issue with him getting another job.  He is satisfied to stay with the Bucs and Nutting.  He is the one when first hired talked about winning championships and competing for them year in and year out (no window).  So he has failed with what he said he was going to do.  I understand people change and their positions change but I will say that looking at his entire record he is a failure.  Any GM in baseball is going to make good moves and bad moves.  The Pirates GM has to make a lot fewer bad moves and more good moves than other GM's to be successful. NH hasn't done that.

I don't know if NH is a good GM or not. None of us does. No two GMs are playing on the same playing field. Each has their own budget and their own limitations from ownership. I will say, the Pirates under NH have outperformed their payroll every year. That is to say, they have finished every season with a record that puts them higher in the MLB standings than their payroll. I think it's also true that GMs don't move around much and there aren't often vacancies. I don't think it is realistic to suggest that NH (if worthy) could just jump to another team.