Nutting just called you and you’re the new GM...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Two days to evaluate this team before trade deadline. How do you evaluate this team and what moves do you make?

Preseason I thought starting pitching would be among best in league. I thought offense would be much improved. Was concerned about bullpen but thought they had a secret weapon in Burdi.

We’ve actually got: awful starting Pitching. Williams, Musgrove, and especially Archer have all seriously underperformed. Lyles - I had no expectations and he’s now reverted to the awful category. Tallion out for season and was underperforming in any event.

Bats are a bit better than expected through AS break. With Josh completely falling out of the sky, this is a below average team.

Pen? Great closer and Burdi out for year. Nothing else of Frankie is a good surprise, otherwise a nameless bunch.

This weekend is the first time I’ve thought this, but this team is so terribly broken it’s time to blow it up. Everybody is on the trade block that can return real value.

History is showing that we either hold players too long (too close to FA) or move too fast.

To make matters worse, the farm seems weak (but I’m not following closely).

The following players have real value on the mkt and they are soon facing FA or big arb increase. I’m aggressive to move these guys:

Marte

Bell

Polanco I think

Nightmare

Frankie

I give Archer away to get him off the books.

I build around Moran at first (hoping Craig develops), Frazier and Newman. I like our young catchers and keep Diaz and Stallings.

In the OF I like Reynolds and I take a chance on Dickerson’s health and resign Cory.

I like Osuma for depth.

I have a long conversation with Burdi and his doc.

So, need a 3rd base until Hayes is ready.

One OF

An entire rotation

Closer (depending on Burdi).

There is potential EXCEPT the pitching staff is in Shambles. There is no quick or cheap fix. I would duck tape the rotation around tallion, Williams and Musgrove.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Finally! I knew sooner or later they could call on me. :)

I would go with better defense: Hayes at third, if that wouldn't hurt his development; Tucker at short; Newman at second; Osuna at first (although this is a little more tricky. Bell has been a touch better at fielding - not throwing - and can hit like crazy, so maybe stick with him). Not so sure on the pitching. I wouldn't acquire anyone ML ready now but in the off-season would look to add. The top minor league option getting clobbered every second or third time out doesn't instill any confidence. I would look to trade Kang, Moran, etc.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

If I was the chosen one I would be assured that Nutting has given me free rein over the budget and forget about the small market excuse. I would be able to spend, spend, spend, to begin with.

Before I worry about this weeks trade deadline I would be looking into all facets of team management including an overhaul of player acquisition (scouting dept), player development, on-field management. All so the Pirates can change the team philosophy to one which expects to win and not one that only hopes to be competitive and win. Once I can get these things in place I begin to construct an MLB team and MiLB feeder system much like the Cardinals.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I am often confident in my abilities to achieve tasks assigned to me, and have offered to do projects that others do not want.

That said, if Nutting called me, the most appropriate answer I could say to him is that I would decline because the goal he supposedly wants to accomplish - a World Series Championship - is not achievable with the constraints he has established.

On the other hand, why be so noble. So, my thoughts:

1) Need to determine if Bell is the real deal or if he just had a 2 month unsustainable run. Much like McCutchen in 2016, when he was playing like a superstar, the Bucs were competitive. When he slumped, the whole line-up failed to produce. Even though first base has been a deep dark hole for too long in Pittsburgh, I would let folks know that Bell is available and see what kind of interest/offers that are out there.

2) I let folks know that Vasquez could be available if I am overwhelmed with an offer. Team needs young high quality starting pitchers.

3) I shop everyone who has no long term role or who isn't under contract/control for next year. In return I try to obtain the most talented players possible, even if they are A league level players. Team needs an infusion of talent.

4) I shop both Frazier and Morin, mostly to see if either attracts any real offers.

5) I start shopping Marte now in anticipation of an off-season move.

6) The players I hang onto include: Reynolds, Newman, Tucker, and Hayes. I also hang onto Polanco because his value could not be lower at this time. Unless I find another catcher who is ready to step up next year, I keep both Diaz and Stallings, neither of whom has much trade value.

7) On the pitching end, I hang onto Williams, Archer and Musgrove, and try to find a pitching coach who can work with them. I note that all of these folks now want to pitch to Stallings; they all need help and they know it.

8) I clearly clean out on the on-field management.

9) I tell everyone up front that 2020 will be a rough year, identify why future years can and will be better.

10) I focus on building a good scouting Department.

On the ptichin
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

TBH, I would never be named the GM by Nutting based on my answers I'd give him.
BenM

Post by BenM »

I'd fire Nutting.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I'm all in for trading Vazquez. I find myself checking my phone regularly to see if they've traded him. IMO, his value will never be higher. He will never be pitching this well leading into a prime trading moment. You've got a team in the Dodgers who are dying to have him and have great prospects. He is signed for years to come at a position that should be a non-priority for smaller market teams. He has played in 4.6% of the Pirates innings this year. If he can be flipped for a top catching prospect and two other top prospect (one of which is a starting pitcher) I will be thrilled.

After that, I'd trade the ending contract folks for whatever I can get to replenish the system. I'm looking for low level, high upside guys like O'Neil Cruz (from the Watson trade). When I trade Cabrera, I'm telling him that I want to sign him again next year.

I'm only trading Marte if someone blows me away.

Bell is off limits because I'm not sure someone will give as much as he could be worth. Same for Polanco. And to be clear, I'm not putting Bell and Polanco in the same category.

I consider trading one of Frazier/Kramer/Tucker. I would probably add one of them in the Vazquez trade to get a bigger return (and more of what you need). At this point, it is clear that Newman is the SS of the future. Frazier can be the 2nd basemen for the next year to two. Or Kramer could be the 2nd baseman for a long time. They have a surplus here that could be used to get big prospects. For example, allegedly the Dodgers trade is being held up because the Pirates want Lux (power hitting middle infielder). Maybe the Pirates give Tucker with Vazquez. Then they could get back one of the catchers, Lux, Urias, and another top pitching prospect (May).
mouse

Post by mouse »

Dodgers are also looking at another reliever, Diaz, I think. All of this is in flux at the moment.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

As good as Lux looks, I'd rather we get two or three top pitching prospects instead.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I would do whatever I could get back for anyone that is not going to be back next year.

Even though I think it is time for NH to leave I thought he got a good return for Lyles (unless Brewers put him back in bullpen and he turns into a good bullpen arm - if that is case the Bucs misused him as a starter).

I don't trade Vasquez or Marte now unless overwhelmed.

The reason I don't want to trade them is I want to find out about the organization and what new staff and approach is needed.

Why were we so high on Archer? Did we think we were giving up a lot or thought Glasnow, Meadows were over valued by Rays?

Why were thinking Lyles could be a good starter?

Why didn't we think Newman was ready to play short?

Why were high on Gonzalez (if we really were or was that B.S. for fans)

What did we expect from Luplow (has he done better than we thought?)

What went wrong with Chisenhall?

If I am trading big pieces I want to make sure I'm evaluating the offers for them correctly.

At this point I don't know if I trust the Bucs staff to do that.