The Streak Ends . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by DemDog »

I am not talking about the current Pirates sucking streak. That one may not end in my lifetime since Nutting is much younger than me.

After 60 consecutive years of going to Bucco games and seeing some great teams and players at "The House of Thrills" aka Forbes Field, 3Rivers, and PNC Park I am calling it quits for going to games. Too much hastle to go and see a team that you can count on being anywhere near competitive unless you are looking for a high draft pick. I am tired of lining the pockets of TBBTIBB as they make all kinds of excuses for not making it deep into the playoffs and eventual WS win.

I won't stop rooting for them and will remain with OBN. I might watch a game on tv if Joe Block is not doing play by play but turn the game off with it becomes a big blowout for the other team. In that case I will just sit back, crochet and watch Mr. Rogers reruns! ;D
mouse

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by mouse »

Sorry to hear that, Possum. There is something special about going to the ballpark, but I understand your thoughts. And the Black Bears can keep you in touch with what's to come.
skinnyhorse

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by skinnyhorse »

5D7C745D767E190 wrote: I am not talking about the current Pirates sucking streak.  That one may not end in my lifetime since Nutting is much younger than me.

After 60 consecutive years of going to Bucco games and seeing some great teams and players at "The House of Thrills" aka Forbes Field, 3Rivers, and PNC Park I am calling it quits for going to games.  Too much hastle to go and see a team that you can count on being anywhere near competitive unless you are looking for a high draft pick.  I am tired of lining the pockets of TBBTIBB as they make all kinds of excuses for not making it deep into the playoffs and eventual WS win. 

I won't stop rooting for them and will remain with OBN.  I might watch a game on tv if Joe Block is not doing play by play but turn the game off with it becomes a big blowout for the other team.  In that case I will just sit back, crochet and watch Mr. Rogers reruns!  ;D
Join the club I checked out about 2 months ago after another one of the games Hurdle sit and just gave away another game. It is apparent there is no real interest in winning in the Pirates organization. I check the scores occasionally but can't waste my time watching a team where management has no commitment to winning. What's the point of playing if your not there to win. The players eventually realize it too. This organization is just bad from top to bottom. I love the players and the history of the Pirates but I am so disgusted with the attitude that winning doesn't really matter. Until drastic changes are made I will continue to only occasionally check the scores and withhold any monetary support of this awful management team. I hope for the day they will all be replaced. Until then there is no hope for this once great franchise.
DemDog

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by DemDog »

3A222027273021263B3A2C490 wrote: I am not talking about the current Pirates sucking streak.  That one may not end in my lifetime since Nutting is much younger than me.

After 60 consecutive years of going to Bucco games and seeing some great teams and players at "The House of Thrills" aka Forbes Field, 3Rivers, and PNC Park I am calling it quits for going to games.  Too much hastle to go and see a team that you can count on being anywhere near competitive unless you are looking for a high draft pick.  I am tired of lining the pockets of TBBTIBB as they make all kinds of excuses for not making it deep into the playoffs and eventual WS win. 

I won't stop rooting for them and will remain with OBN.  I might watch a game on tv if Joe Block is not doing play by play but turn the game off with it becomes a big blowout for the other team.  In that case I will just sit back, crochet and watch Mr. Rogers reruns!  ;D
Join the club I checked out about 2 months ago after another one of the games Hurdle sit and just gave away another game.  It is apparent there is no real interest in winning in the Pirates organization.  I check the scores occasionally but can't waste my time watching a team where management has no commitment to winning.  What's the point of playing if your not there to win.  The players eventually realize it too.  This organization is just bad from top to bottom.  I love the players and the history of the Pirates but I am so disgusted with the attitude that winning doesn't really matter.  Until drastic changes are made I will continue to only occasionally check the scores and withhold any monetary support of this awful management team.  I hope for the day they will all be replaced.  Until then there is no hope for this once great franchise.

Skinny, thanks for your kind words about my streak and the reasons for it. I hope that because you are probably younger than me that you will get to experience a WS victory. The leadership of this "great" franchise needs to forget about "hope" to win and take up the "commitment and desire" to win.
Bobster21

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

3D252720203726213C3D2B4E0 wrote: I am not talking about the current Pirates sucking streak.  That one may not end in my lifetime since Nutting is much younger than me.

Join the club I checked out about 2 months ago after another one of the games Hurdle sit and just gave away another game.  It is apparent there is no real interest in winning in the Pirates organization.  I check the scores occasionally but can't waste my time watching a team where management has no commitment to winning.  What's the point of playing if your not there to win.  The players eventually realize it too.  This organization is just bad from top to bottom.  I love the players and the history of the Pirates but I am so disgusted with the attitude that winning doesn't really matter.  Until drastic changes are made I will continue to only occasionally check the scores and withhold any monetary support of this awful management team.  I hope for the day they will all be replaced.  Until then there is no hope for this once great franchise.
Skinny, IMHO your comment could not be more accurate. Every year we see a modest effort to assemble a roster based on the least cost. And then NH has to spin it to the fans and media as if it's a competitive team. We've seen them try to fill a hole at 1B with a backup catcher (Jaso) and in the rotation with a 38 year old Vogelsong. We've seen them try to get by with 2 legit OFers so they wouldn't have to pay for a 3rd. When they need BP help, Neverauskus is just a phone call away. And now they are saying Keller can't be added to the rotation because there is no opportunity when the rotation consists of the failing Archer, Williams, Musgrove, Agrazal and TBA.

We have Hurdle who makes no special efforts to win games. With a 3-1 lead and Kela and Rodriguez unavailable, Hurdle digs deeper into an already weak BP to follow a formula that says even when Archer is finally dominating he must leave after 6 innings while letting Vazquez sit and watch the lead turn into a loss. Why? Because the "save" is more important than winning. Can't let Vazquez preserve a lead if he won't earn that coveted stat. And Hurdle decided before the season began that Bell was his #4 hitter. That's etched in stone. Hurdle's work is done now. Doesn't matter that Bell has hit below the Mendoza line the past month. Hurdle can't be bothered to make another decision. And why should he? Nutting doesn't care. NH does Nutting's bidding. Hurdle has such an inadequate roster that his inability to make intelligent decisions doesn't even matter. It contributes to the problem but the situation from the top down is so bad that even a more skillful manager would not compensate for the limitations in the roster caused by Nutting's refusal to spend money and the organization's failures in drafting and developing.

They can't even recognize talent when they have it. They spent a #1 pick on Newman only to decide his ceiling was a utility player and traded another prospect (Luplow) for Cleveland's AAAA utility player to take over SS only to find Newman was the answer after all. They acquired Reynolds who never hit below .300 at any minor league level but when they needed an OFer they recalled Jason Martin only to find out Reynolds was the real deal.

There is no legit effort to build a winning team. Losing is accepted because losing with the lowest payroll possible is preferable to winning with a higher overhead. The 2015 98 win team was the one that came closest (within 77%) to the MLB average payroll. That percentage has steadily dropped every year since to the current level of 52%. The message is clear: Nutting saw the cost of being competitive and threw in the towel. Maximizing profits is the name of the game.
Quail

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by Quail »

Before spring training I came to the realization that my thoughts about the Pirates were depressingly negative. As a consequence, and because of my respect for the members of OBN, I decided that I should refrain from posting here so as not to drag others down with my negativity.

I've actively followed the Pirates and the dialogue here this season, and have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Unfortunately, it seems that even without my input many here have reached the level of negativity that I felt earlier in the year.

My respect and sympathies to all of you. I hope that somehow things will change for the better in our lifetime.
rucker59@gmail.com

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I’m sitting at PNC right now. A beautiful summer evening. I would say no more than 10-12,000. A fair number are Brewer fans.

We have yet to get a hit against Lyle. Newman just gave up a run by failing to go home with a force on, he goes to 1st instead taking away the force plus giving up the run. What does Newman do after throwing to 1st? He tosses his glove up in the air.

Yesterday was one of the worst games I’ve ever watched.

I hope they lose every game remaining on the schedule. I hope the Brewers score at least 10. I hope Nutting is humiliated.

It is sickening.
Bobster21

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

5354424A4453141861464C40484D0F424E4C210 wrote: I’m sitting at PNC right now. A beautiful summer evening.  I would say no more than 10-12,000.  A fair number are Brewer fans. 

We have yet to get a hit against Lyle.  Newman just gave up a run by failing to go home with a force on, he goes to 1st instead taking away the force plus giving up the run.  What does Newman do after throwing to 1st?   He tosses his glove up in the air.

I hope they lose every game remaining on the schedule.  I hope the Brewers score at least 10.  I hope Nutting is humiliated.

It is sickening. 
Nutting won't be humiliated until he has no more money to stuff in the mattress.
JollyRoger

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by JollyRoger »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: I’m sitting at PNC right now. A beautiful summer evening.  I would say no more than 10-12,000.  A fair number are Brewer fans. 

We have yet to get a hit against Lyle.  Newman just gave up a run by failing to go home with a force on, he goes to 1st instead taking away the force plus giving up the run.  What does Newman do after throwing to 1st?   He tosses his glove up in the air.

I hope they lose every game remaining on the schedule.  I hope the Brewers score at least 10.  I hope Nutting is humiliated.

It is sickening. 
Nutting won't be humiliated until he has no more money to stuff in the mattress.

You can only be humiliated if you care. Nutting could care less. He sits in his ivory tower far removed from the fan base. He avoids Pirate Fest. At least McClatchy made himself available to the average fan. We really need McClatchy’s enthusiasm/exhuberance combined with a Nutting wallet.
DemDog

The Streak Ends . . .

Post by DemDog »

Hold on wait a minute fans. Possum is coming out of "retirement" for one more game to continue the streak. Seems my daughter and family are flying in from Seattle and I will get to go on Sunday the 25th of August. I am not doing this just to continue the streak but instead to see my grandchildren, ages 8 and 5 run the bases after the game. Seeing them do that will make the baseball season for me.