Cervelli will catch no more . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Looks like Cervi will become the next John Jaso.

Per DK Pittsburgh Sports: Cervelli Done Catching
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I just heard NH's pregame show and he wouldn't come right out and say it but it sounded like Cervelli wouldn't be catching. NH said they want to help Cervelli continue to play without necessarily putting him behind the plate. He said Cervelli will be taking ground balls on rehab but also noted they need to get Cervelli's bat going again. The problem with Cervelli changing positions is that he doesn't hit well enough for OF, 1B or 3B and isn't going to be a starter at 2B or SS. He's already 33 and at best seems to be looking at a short career as a utility player.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I hope that when his short carrier as a utility player is over that the Buccos have good enough sense to hire him as a coach in the system.
BenM

Post by BenM »

It's unfortunate, but I think he made the right call. I wonder if the team nudged him in that direction.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Now he is saying that there was a miscommunication and he still wants to catch.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Who cares. Best move for the team is to keep him on the injured list and then add him to the roster in September when rosters are expanded. That way, no players that are currently helping them are sent down. Realistically, who deserves to be removed if Cervelli is activated?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B4C4764290 wrote: Now he is saying that there was a miscommunication and he still wants to catch.
I think it's pretty clear he wasn't misquoted, and DK repeated the quote. But in the later article Cervelli says, "The past week watching the games, the adrenaline has come back." I think that's what sparked the change of mind. He desperately wants to play and seems to want to refute his earlier comment about not catching, even though it was the more rational comment. He's very well liked and enthusiastic but it seems he might have to be protected from himself and not permitted to catch. Also, he's a FA after the season and doesn't offer much as a non-catcher so this could be the end of his career. That's got to be tough to accept for someone as enthusiastic as he is.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Cervelli is more of an actor than a baseball player.    He should go to LA and give movies a shot

He's so enthusiastic about the game that he's caught more than 90 games 3 times in 12 seasons.  Twice in 4 seasons since his big contract.   That's love of the game, right there.

He and Lonnie Chisnehall should have a contest as to who loves playing the game more.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

777E766769130 wrote: Cervelli is more of an actor than a baseball player.    He should go to LA and give movies a shot

He's so enthusiastic about the game that he's caught more than 90 games 3 times in 12 seasons.  Twice in 4 seasons since his big contract.   That's love of the game, right there.

He and Lonnie Chisnehall should have a contest as to who loves playing the game more.
Enthusiasm and health are two completely different things. I had to stop playing ball for health reasons. Doesn't mean I don't still love it and wish everyday I was still playing. When Cervelli is out with a concussion or a broken bone it's not lack of enthusiasm that keeps him off the field.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Sprained knees, sprained right wrist, fractured right wrist, left foot discomfort, broken hamate, hamstring sprain (twice), right foot discomfort. "Cluster headaches", sinus trouble ( missed 3 games lol), 6 "concussions", right forearm contusion.

That's just what I could find in 10 minutes. He's wants it alright. I think the only part that he's never missed time for is his mouth, which he uses to tell everyone how enthusiastic he is.