3 random thoughts

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

3 random thoughts

Post by CarolinaBucco »

* If Newman keeps this up, he's liable to win the batting title himself. I mean Reynolds is still hot, but Newman is just straight ON FIRE.

* If Cole is evaluated by the organization as an elite glove at SS who can hit .240 in the big leagues, I'd make him the everyday SS next year and move Newman to 2B.

* Hey, if you don't count the losing 30 of 38 stretch, the Pirates are 50-47 on the season !!

INbuc

3 random thoughts

Post by INbuc »

Newman is on fire. He may cool off when the Bucs return home. He went in to today's game hitting .264 with 1 HR at PNC, but was hitting .355 with 8 HR in away games...now 9HR. He is good at making adjustments though, and hopefully the average at PNC will improve in the future. However, PNC can certainly pose a power challenge for many righthanded batters.
SteadyFreddy

3 random thoughts

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Y6042514C4F4A4D42615640404C230 wrote: * If Newman keeps this up, he's liable to win the batting title himself. I mean Reynolds is still hot, but Newman is just straight ON FIRE.

* If Cole is evaluated by the organization as an elite glove at SS who can hit .240 in the big leagues, I'd make him the everyday SS next year and move Newman to 2B.

* Hey, if you don't count the losing 30 of 38 stretch, the Pirates are 50-47 on the season !!

I like the idea of going into next year with Tucker at short and moving Newman to 2nd. Offensively going into next season there are pieces in place that I still think will allow this team to be a decent offense and score some runs. I think an outfield of Reynolds Marte and a 100 percent Polanco is pretty solid. I think Moran has earned his spot at 3rd and has proven to be a good Major League bat that can hit for average and drive in around 80-90 runs and hit 15-20 homers. If anything Moran has possibly made Hayes at least more tradable to get some pitching if the right deal comes along and makes sense. And of course you have Josh Bell at 1st who is gonna hit 40 plus homers and drive in 120 or so runs. The pitching staff and catching situation need addressed on this team big time if they are gonna have any chance to be consistently competitive next season. Going into next season with Stallings and Diaz catching and a rotation of Musgrove, Archer, Williams, Keller, and Brault is just not acceptable in anyway. You have to upgrade by either spending money or making trades. Sitting around and “hoping” these guys perform better next season which appears to be the Pirates approach as we sit here today would be a huge huge mistake that in the end will backfire on them big time.
mouse

3 random thoughts

Post by mouse »

I think they plan on stalling on Hayes until June, but my preference would be to see him at third and Moran as a backup-bench piece. Tucker at short and Newman at second make sense also. Osuna at first would be nice (defense first) but may not come until 2021. Boras's demands in arbitration for Bell are going to shake NH to the flinty little core of his heart. He'll get a manageable number this year but no way NH keeps him two more years.
Bobster21

3 random thoughts

Post by Bobster21 »

6A68727462070 wrote: I think they plan on stalling on Hayes until June, but my preference would be to see him at third and Moran as a backup-bench piece. Tucker at short and Newman at second make sense also. Osuna at first would be nice (defense first) but may not come until 2021. Boras's demands in arbitration for Bell are going to shake NH to the flinty little core of his heart. He'll get a manageable number this year but no way NH keeps him two more years.
The arb process doesn't play into Boras' hands. The arbitrator listens to both sides and selects the offer he thinks is more appropriate. In doing so, he considers time of service, Bell's production vs other players with similar service and (I believe) at the same position. The Pirates will make an offer that is low end of reasonable. If Boras's offer is out of line, the arbitrator will select the Pirates' offer. So Boras has to be careful to ask for a lot but not too much. But as you noted that amount will increase with each year of arb. And after year 3 of arb, Bell becomes a free agent and Boras will rush him out of Pittsburgh. So the only question is how soon Bell parts ways with the Pirates. If they take him to arb twice and then trade him before year 3, the trade partner gets only 1 year of control before free agency hits. So the return on Bell would be greater if they trade him with 2 years of arb left before he becomes a FA. So I think 2020 will be Bell's last as a Pirate.
mouse

3 random thoughts

Post by mouse »

I agree with that. I just expect Boras's initial demands to be frightening and his arb number to be at the high end and likely accepted. The number this year also affects the number next year (2021). But like you, I think that will be someone else's issue.
OrlandoMerced

3 random thoughts

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think I keep Newman at short until Tucker proves his bat can play at the majors. He had a similar debut as Newman did in 2018, so Tucker, like Newman, will have to earn playing time.

I think the pieces are in place, for at least a competent offense, and if Polanco somehow puts it all together (not holding my breath), they could have a studly offense. The top five would be Newman/Reynolds/Marte/Bell/Polanco. So you bring in a 4th OF, better than Chisenhall or Melky as insurance and let Osuna, Moran, Frazier, Reyes and Kramer all battle for ML at bats.

They could probably take another shot with this current bullpen core of Vazquez, Kela, Crick and RichRod, with maybe Santana coming back to be another middle relief option.

But then of course, none of this matters if they don't upgrade the rotation. I honestly don't know how you do it without either spending money or dealing prospects. I would endorse the former. Unfortunately, I think Musgrove and Williams are locks and Brault has clearly won a spot. You could probably find a taker for Archer, but then you are moving him at his absolute trough. I think a new coaching staff would serve Archer well, and he could still be a productive starter. So that leaves a major void at the #1 spot. Clearly the move is to sign Keuchel
PMike

3 random thoughts

Post by PMike »

1D3F2C313237303F1C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: * If Newman keeps this up, he's liable to win the batting title himself. I mean Reynolds is still hot, but Newman is just straight ON FIRE.

This bolded statement actually has me worried. I'm also afraid they will have a solid September. The FO will absolutely declare that this is a good team and that they have the right coaching staff in place. It was just that 38 game stretch or they'd be a playoff team. If they play .500 ball this September, I'm confident that will be the number one talking point in the offseason.
rucker59@gmail.com

3 random thoughts

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

193439282F3E29696A5B0 wrote: I think they plan on stalling on Hayes until June, but my preference would be to see him at third and Moran as a backup-bench piece. Tucker at short and Newman at second make sense also. Osuna at first would be nice (defense first) but may not come until 2021. Boras's demands in arbitration for Bell are going to shake NH to the flinty little core of his heart. He'll get a manageable number this year but no way NH keeps him two more years.
The arb process doesn't play into Boras' hands. The arbitrator listens to both sides and selects the offer he thinks is more appropriate. In doing so, he considers time of service, Bell's production vs other players with similar service and (I believe) at the same position. The Pirates will make an offer that is low end of reasonable. If Boras's offer is out of line, the arbitrator will select the Pirates' offer. So Boras has to be careful to ask for a lot but not too much. But as you noted that amount will increase with each year of arb. And after year 3 of arb, Bell becomes a free agent and Boras will rush him out of Pittsburgh. So the only question is how soon Bell parts ways with the Pirates. If they take him to arb twice and then trade him before year 3, the trade partner gets only 1 year of control before free agency hits. So the return on Bell would be greater if they trade him with 2 years of arb left before he becomes a FA. So I think 2020 will be Bell's last as a Pirate.

Josh Bell is likely to enter sacred territory for the Pirates, joining only Ralph K and Willie in the 40 HR Club. Yet he’s going to be “some guy” who played 3 season and was gone. Too bad it’s gotten to the point where the Pirates won’t even consider paying a franchise player like Josh.

I guess we can look forward 40 years for the next 40 HR guy.
MaineBucs

3 random thoughts

Post by MaineBucs »

If the Colorado series is any indication of Newman's reaction to having family in the seats then the Bucs should pay to fly his family to PNC this week to see if it helps him to continue such a blistering pace. Also, I only move Newman off of short under the following scenarios:

1) He is hurt.

2) His play at short and his hitting do not warrant him remaining at SS.

3) Tucker earns the SS position.

4) Frazier is hurt and a Newman (2nd)/Tucker combo is the best way for the Bucs to compete.

It would be great if any team could throw away the bad (in the Bucs case autrocious) streak of poor play during the season. Unfortunately, such is not allowed, and the lousy streak of play may be more reflective of the team's play that the current run of better hitting, pitching and defense over a 10 game span. Regardless, this team is going nowhere unless it acquires more (better) pitching. As Nutting will not allow spending money to acquire more talent, the Bucs are going to need to trade some position player talent for some young talented affordable pitching.

The Bucs do not have a lot of depth at any position. That said, trading either Bell, Marte or Vasquez may be the only way that the team can obtain the injection of pitching talent that they need.