Position of Greatest Need for 2020 and the future

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Please vote in the poll above. Also, take into consideration that some of the "core" of the team might be traded to shore up another position. Go ahead and vote and let us know how that would be affected by any trades you would make.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I voted starting pitching, but I would have voted that all but a handful of years since 1882.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

starting pitching as we need more than 1.

catcher was my next choice.

NH may want to select someone who runs better computer simulations
mouse

Post by mouse »

I went with starting pitching as well, with catching being my backup choice. I’m hoping to see the defense built up a bit but at this point it doesn’t look like we will see Hayes until mid-season. I’ve not been around as long as Babe but agree with his sentiment.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

794A5657545C6A574C504B4C5D5156380 wrote: I voted starting pitching, but I would have voted that all but a handful of years since 1882.

You're a little older than I thought. :D
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

What need? Kebryan Hayes and Cole Tucker are on the way. Elias Diaz was set back by his mystery virus. Polanco will be back stronger than ever.

Kuhl and Santana will be back to fill out the pitching.

Sincerely,

Bob
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I don't see us being able to trade for reliable pitcher or obtain one from FA.  I think we had one in Lyles but he bailed on us as he saw this organization is going no where with this management team.  Whose to say the next one we get won't do the same.  I say we're most likely to be able to upgrade the BP with some good young arms and hope for the best there and with the returning starters.  Desperately need a good catcher might be able to obtain a older experienced catcher and play Stallings along with him.  Just have no faith in NH and even less in Hurdle.  Must change this coaching staff if theirs any hope of improving.  I would like to see a younger knowledgeable manager with some fire in him.  Lots of problems not many good options.  Must find someone who can spot talent and know how to develop it quickly.  The fact that Newman and Reynolds were wasting away in the minors and they didn't even know what they had just shows how poor this team management is.  How many more are drowning in our minor league and for that matter in our major league system (Glasnow, Meadows), who knows certainly this management team doesn't..  Such a disaster. :'( :'(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

362E2C2B2B3C2D2A373620450 wrote: I don't see us being able to trade for reliable pitcher or obtain one from FA.  I think we had one in Lyles but he bailed on us as he saw this organization is going no where with this management team.  Whose to say the next one we get won't do the same.  I say we're most likely to be able to upgrade the BP with some good young arms and hope for the best there and with the returning starters.  Desperately need a good catcher might be able to obtain a older experienced catcher and play Stallings along with him.  Just have no faith in NH and even less in Hurdle.  Must change this coaching staff if theirs any hope of improving.  I would like to see a younger knowledgeable manager with some fire in him.  Lots of problems not many good options.  Must find someone who can spot talent and know how to develop it quickly.  The fact that Newman and Reynolds were wasting away in the minors and they didn't even know what they had just shows how poor this team management is.  How many more are drowning in our minor league and for that matter in our major league system (Glasnow, Meadows), who knows certainly this management team doesn't..  Such a disaster.    :'( :'(
I agree with all of that except Lyles. He was on a 1 year contract so there was no need to bail. He has never been a good pitcher. Career best ERA for any season was 4.11 in 2016 and his ERA in 6 of his 9 seasons has been 5+ including 7.75 in 2017. I remember how disappointed everyone was in ST when the Pirates said he would be the 5th starter. His Pirate ERA of 5.36 was close to his career mark of 5.19. His Pirate WHIP (1.470) was about equal to his career (1.445). His hits/9 and Ks/9 as a Pirate were better than his career marks and his HRs/9 and BB/9 were only slightly higher. The great start he had as a Pirate was totally unlike his career body of work and didn't last. That's not bailing. That's just reverting to his true form. Now he's off to a good start with Milwaukee with 5 good starts and 1 awful one. If he can keep it up, good for him. But his career suggests he won't.

But like you, I have no faith in NH to make deals to improve the team and no faith in Hurdle to know how to manage a game or handle his roster. Keeping them around will likely just deepen the hole the next GM and mgr have to dig out of.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

ok, who is the one oddball? :)
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: I don't see us being able to trade for reliable pitcher or obtain one from FA.  I think we had one in Lyles but he bailed on us as he saw this organization is going no where with this management team.  Whose to say the next one we get won't do the same.  I say we're most likely to be able to upgrade the BP with some good young arms and hope for the best there and with the returning starters.  Desperately need a good catcher might be able to obtain a older experienced catcher and play Stallings along with him.  Just have no faith in NH and even less in Hurdle.  Must change this coaching staff if theirs any hope of improving.  I would like to see a younger knowledgeable manager with some fire in him.  Lots of problems not many good options.  Must find someone who can spot talent and know how to develop it quickly.  The fact that Newman and Reynolds were wasting away in the minors and they didn't even know what they had just shows how poor this team management is.  How many more are drowning in our minor league and for that matter in our major league system (Glasnow, Meadows), who knows certainly this management team doesn't..  Such a disaster.    :'( :'(
I agree with all of that except Lyles. He was on a 1 year contract so there was no need to bail. He has never been a good pitcher. Career best ERA for any season was 4.11 in 2016 and his ERA in 6 of his 9 seasons has been 5+ including 7.75 in 2017. I remember how disappointed everyone was in ST when the Pirates said he would be the 5th starter. His Pirate ERA of 5.36 was close to his career mark of 5.19. His Pirate WHIP (1.470) was about equal to his career (1.445). His hits/9 and Ks/9 as a Pirate were better than his career marks and his HRs/9 and BB/9 were only slightly higher. The great start he had as a Pirate was totally unlike his career body of work and didn't last. That's not bailing. That's just reverting to his true form. Now he's off to a good start with Milwaukee with 5 good starts and 1 awful one. If he can keep it up, good for him. But his career suggests he won't.

But like you, I have no faith in NH to make deals to improve the team and no faith in Hurdle to know how to manage a game or handle his roster. Keeping them around will likely just deepen the hole the next GM and mgr have to dig out of. 

I would like to see them try to trade for an arm, but it seems that everyone is looking for SP as well. I don't know where we would get one without overpaying and having the same outcome as the Archer deal