NH promises more of the same pitching for 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the Post-Gazette today, NH addressed the pitching plans for 2020. There is no plan to even attempt to acquire a quality arm. He explains the plan that the failing starters they currently have will magically improve in the off season and the possibility of striking gold with a reclamation project always exists.

"How do we get Joe Musgrove to continue to turn that corner?" Huntington said. "How do we continue to get Chris Archer to be Chris Archer again? How do we get Mitch Keller to take that next step forward? How do we help Trevor Williams go back to being as good he was during the second half of last season when he was one of the top three or four pitchers in the game? How do we get that Trevor Williams back again and get him healthy?

Huntington somewhat answered his questions.

“We need to get Chris Archer a full baseball offseason," Huntington said. “Get Joe Musgrove a full baseball offseason. Can we continue to get Steve Brault to push this forward and be as good as he's been in the second half?"

Huntington acknowledged that the Pirates could look outside the organization for pitching. However, the names he said may not get fans excited.

"Is there another (Francisco) Liriano out there? Or another JA Happ, (Edinson) Volquez that we can find to add depth to the rotation?" Huntington said. "We'll explore that. We also get Chad Kuhl back to compete for a spot next season and Edgar Santana for the bullpen."

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 1908190055

I know NH has the impossible task of trying to spin Nutting's refusal to spend even a moderate amount of money to improve the team into the idea that the Bucs will be just fine without doing that. NH reminds me of someone whose strategy for fighting a lost cause is to close his eyes and blindly charge forward full speed ahead. (The charge of the Light Brigade comes to mind. How did that work out?) He ignores the reality of the situation and talks as if the plan he expounds that everyone else can see has little or no chance of success will be the sure fire solution everyone hopes for.

The less than ready for prime time major league pitching will continue. So maybe the 2020 team motto should be:

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward.
WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

Thanks for the pick-me-up.

Hangin' around

Nutting to do but frown

Huntington and Mondays always get me down
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: Per the Post-Gazette today, NH addressed the pitching plans for 2020. There is no plan to even attempt to acquire a quality arm. He explains the plan that the failing starters they currently have will magically improve in the off season and the possibility of striking gold with a reclamation project always exists.

"How do we get Joe Musgrove to continue to turn that corner?" Huntington said. "How do we continue to get Chris Archer to be Chris Archer again? How do we get Mitch Keller to take that next step forward? How do we help Trevor Williams go back to being as good he was during the second half of last season when he was one of the top three or four pitchers in the game? How do we get that Trevor Williams back again and get him healthy?

Huntington somewhat answered his questions.

“We need to get Chris Archer a full baseball offseason," Huntington said. “Get Joe Musgrove a full baseball offseason. Can we continue to get Steve Brault to push this forward and be as good as he's been in the second half?"

Huntington acknowledged that the Pirates could look outside the organization for pitching. However, the names he said may not get fans excited.

"Is there another (Francisco) Liriano out there? Or another JA Happ, (Edinson) Volquez that we can find to add depth to the rotation?" Huntington said. "We'll explore that. We also get Chad Kuhl back to compete for a spot next season and Edgar Santana for the bullpen."

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 1908190055

I know NH has the impossible task of trying to spin Nutting's refusal to spend even a moderate amount of money to improve the team into the idea that the Bucs will be just fine without doing that. NH reminds me of someone whose strategy for fighting a lost cause is to close his eyes and blindly charge forward full speed ahead. (The charge of the Light Brigade comes to mind. How did that work out?) He ignores the reality of the situation and talks as if the plan he expounds that everyone else can see has little or no chance of success will be the sure fire solution everyone hopes for.

The less than ready for prime time major league pitching will continue. So maybe the 2020 team motto should be:

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward. 

NH knows he won't have any money to put toward pitching, so he betting that the Bucs will get better with magic and hope.

Somebody should ask him how he can look at himself in the mirror after spouting off things like this.
mouse

Post by mouse »

On the other hand, a great post from Wiffleball.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

An injury or two among key hitters, and we could be looking at the top draft pick in 2021. Yay! (Sarcasm)
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

This interview, perhaps more than any other comments to date, identify why both NH and Hurdle will be back next year.

Last I looked both Musgrove and Archer did not pitch last off-season, but this off-season, the Bucs and the respective pitchers have found a way to become top of the rotation starters.

Geez, as if I wasn't already depressed enough.
BenM

Post by BenM »

The Huntington quotes in the PG article are bad, but the whole radio interview is worse.

He keeps referring to the improvement from the 2012 team (79-83) to the 2013 team (94-68) as an example.

I'm pretty sure this team doesn't have a developing MVP candidate like Cutch. And after Keller's performance last night, I'm pretty sure they don't have a developing number one starter like Cole.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4562694A070 wrote: The Huntington quotes in the PG article are bad, but the whole radio interview is worse.

He keeps referring to the improvement from the 2012 team (79-83) to the 2013 team (94-68) as an example.

I'm pretty sure this team doesn't have a developing MVP candidate like Cutch. And after Keller's performance last night, I'm pretty sure they don't have a developing number one starter like Cole. 

I keep saying the more NH talks the worse he looks. 

Maybe Alex McRae will develop a knuckleball this winter and pitch 300 innings next year.  Getting Kuhl, Santana and Burdi back may be great but that doesn't come close to making up for loss of Taillon.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1F39382F39295A0 wrote: The Huntington quotes in the PG article are bad, but the whole radio interview is worse.

I keep saying the more NH talks the worse he looks. 

Maybe Alex McRae will develop a knuckleball this winter and pitch 300 innings next year.  Getting Kuhl, Santana and Burdi back may be great but that doesn't come close to making up for loss of Taillon.

I think we see now why Nutting wanted NH around another 4 years. He's willing to go in front of a mic and BS his way thru the interviews to pretend that there actually is some reason for the fans to remain interested in the Bob Nutting product. Nutting has no interest in spending enough to assemble a competitive team (unless being under .500 late in a season without being mathematically eliminated from the 2nd WC spot is the new "competitive") so changing GMs won't do anything but make the fans realize "well, it wasn't the GM." NH's value to the organization is to be the front man who pretends he has a plan and no explanation is too embarrassing for him to say out loud. That makes him an MVP to Nutting.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Another frustrating thing about the interview is that Huntington essentially admitted that external pre-season models from places like Fangraphs were right in predicting a .500 performance from this team.

So their strategy for making the playoffs was to hope that everybody stayed healthy and over performed.

That's not a real strategy.