Pirates hire consulting firm to find their new GM

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Hopefully this firm was hired when NH was fired and just being reported now.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Good Post on the consulting firm! 8-)

Beat'em Bucs
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This is encouraging. Nutting & Co have demonstrated that they don't know what they're doing in many respects of running a team. So getting help from professionals who have done this successfully for other teams is a smart move. It also shows Nutting & Co realize that they need help. Since they are starting over, recognizing that they need outside help is a good start.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

434641474F455C41485B5D50290 wrote: https://rumbunter.com/2019/11/05/pittsb ... gm-search/

So, it tells me Nutting can't decipher good candidates and who would be qualified. Have a feeling this is just another show to make people feel like change is coming. Consulting firms aren't all great. Remember, a consulting firm led Taggart to FSU.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7E6E6F584E4E422D0 wrote: https://rumbunter.com/2019/11/05/pittsb ... gm-search/

So, it tells me Nutting can't decipher good candidates and who would be qualified.  Have a feeling this is just another show to make people feel like change is coming. 

Man, not that he deserves benefit of the doubt, but he really is in a no-win isn't he?  Nutting did x, that gives a feeling of y (where y is a bad thing I was going to believe anyhow).  If he didn't do the consultant thing it would have shown that he isn't serious about making the next decision, right?

Still I was of the impression that consultants were used for this sort of thing most of the time.
BenM

Post by BenM »

I'm actually encouraged by this news. A lot of smart organizations, not just in sports but all the way up to Fortune 500 businesses, use search firms to find their talent.

I don't know about Korn Ferry specifically, but there are people whose entire job is to find people for the job. Be it the CEO of a large company of the GM of a baseball team.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I thought they almost always did, if not for the main search then at least for someone to bounce ideas off of.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

06212A09440 wrote: I'm actually encouraged by this news. A lot of smart organizations, not just in sports but all the way up to Fortune 500 businesses, use search firms to find their talent.

I don't know about Korn Ferry specifically, but there are people whose entire job is to find people for the job. Be it the CEO of a large company of the GM of a baseball team.
Per the article, "Korn Ferry helped placed Zaidi (Giants) as well as Brewers GM David Stearns and Twins chief baseball officer Derek Falvey."

So as I previously noted, it seems like a good move. I don't think any of us here believer Nutting has been atop an organization noted for making good decisions. So I have more confidence in a firm helping them find the best candidates and making recommendations. I will at least give Nutting credit for realizing that outsourcing to professionals will be more effective than making in-house decisions on who will best serve as GM. I believe this is a positive step towards rebuilding.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

A couple of things I noted from the article.

From the Rosethal quote: "Don't ask. No one in baseball can figure the Pirates out either."

I've been a fan for an long, long time and I can't remember being more disgusted with this organization than by what they've done in recent weeks. Sure the consulting firm may be a good idea, but it's a cluster of plain stupidity that has put is so far behind what other teams are already in the process of putting together.

"There has been some rumor that former President Frank Coonelly was too involved with the day-to-day baseball operations."

I find that very interesting as I've never disliked NH that much, but FC has always rubbed me wrong. I was never sure why. Now this is a rumor, but it would sure seem to fit my impression of the guy. When it was announced, I was pretty happy FC was going. Not that happy with how things unravelled immediately after though.