Did the old guard screw up pitcher development?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

A free article from P2 today!

Pirates Didn't Bring Back the Pitching Coach Who Worked with Tahnaj Thomas
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Is he related to Jim Minshall, who pitched a few innings for the Pirates in the 70s?
iwatch

Post by iwatch »

I didn’t remember Jim Minshall so time looked him up. Interesting rarity: he lost a game but never gave up an earned run. 0-1 record but 0.00 ERA. That’s got the be rare.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

That's a really good eye: I did a search on Baseball-Reference. It looks like only 9 guys have done that, stretching back to 1876. Minshall was the last, the one before him was Alan Brice of the White Sox in 1961. They all went 0-1. Minshall is the only one to do it with just one unearned run.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B554356414A220 wrote: I didn’t remember Jim Minshall so time looked him up. Interesting rarity: he lost a game but never gave up an earned run. 0-1 record but 0.00 ERA.  That’s got the be rare.
What might be even more rare is to pitch a no-hitter and lose. In 1967 the Orioles' Steve Barber was lifted with 2 outs in the 9th inning while pitching a no-hitter vs Detroit after 2 walks, a sac bunt, a WP and yet another walk (Barber's 10th of the game) tied the game with runners at 1st and 3rd. Reliever Stu Miller entered and another run scored on an infield error. The Orioles failed to score in the bottom of the 9th and Barber and Miller combined on a no-hitter that they lost 2-1 (1 of the runs was earned).