Shelton's coaching staff . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Now that we have a manager in place he has to get moving on assembling a coaching staff. We all know he needs a bench and pitching coach and replacements for any current coaches he does not want to retain.

What are you ideas on who may be hired or fired as this task is completed?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Not that I would deny the new people their chance to get who they want, but I'd think that Rick Eckstein would deserve a chance to stay around.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I just read an article which Jason Mackey wrote for the Post Gazette in Pittsburgh,and he mentioned two names to keep an eye on for coaching positions. Andy Barkett who managed in the minors for the Pirates, but went to the Red Sox to be their hitting coach, but was recently fired. For a possible pitching coach he mentioned Tampa Bay bullpen coach Stan Boroski. He has a history with Derek Shelton, so he is a possibility.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

555958030A030B06011E04330 wrote: I just read an article which Jason Mackey wrote for the Post Gazette in Pittsburgh,and he mentioned two names to keep an eye on for coaching positions. Andy Barkett who managed in the minors for the Pirates, but went to the Red Sox to be their hitting coach, but was recently fired. For a possible pitching coach he mentioned Tampa Bay bullpen coach Stan Boroski. He has a history with Derek Shelton, so he is a possibility.
Barkett played for the Pirates in 2001.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... an01.shtml
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: I just read an article which Jason Mackey wrote for the Post Gazette in Pittsburgh,and he mentioned two names to keep an eye on for coaching positions. Andy Barkett who managed in the minors for the Pirates, but went to the Red Sox to be their hitting coach, but was recently fired. For a possible pitching coach he mentioned Tampa Bay bullpen coach Stan Boroski. He has a history with Derek Shelton, so he is a possibility.

IIRC he came up around the same time as Rob Mackowiak. I envisioned big things in the future for both of them.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: I just read an article which Jason Mackey wrote for the Post Gazette in Pittsburgh,and he mentioned two names to keep an eye on for coaching positions. Andy Barkett who managed in the minors for the Pirates, but went to the Red Sox to be their hitting coach, but was recently fired. For a possible pitching coach he mentioned Tampa Bay bullpen coach Stan Boroski. He has a history with Derek Shelton, so he is a possibility.

I'm getting old ... Barkett played against us when I was at East Carolina as a SID intern. I handled baseball when Barkett played for NC State.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

063438382C1E3D34393C3334550 wrote: I just read an article which Jason Mackey wrote for the Post Gazette in Pittsburgh,and he mentioned two names to keep an eye on for coaching positions. Andy Barkett who managed in the minors for the Pirates, but went to the Red Sox to be their hitting coach, but was recently fired. For a possible pitching coach he mentioned Tampa Bay bullpen coach Stan Boroski. He has a history with Derek Shelton, so he is a possibility.

IIRC he came up around the same time as Rob Mackowiak.  I envisioned big things in the future for both of them.

We should just hire Whack a Mack or Hack Wilson.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Rob Biertempfel

Derek Shelton said it's likey some -- not all -- of Hurdle's coaches will remain with the Pirates. Mentioned that he and hitting coach Rick Eckstein have worked together before.