News on color guys.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

News on color guys.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I just assumed Wehner would take over home games too.

Sources: Pirates to use several former players to fill Steve Blass’ former role

Photo of Jason Mackey

JASON MACKEY

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates plan to use several former players to fill the role left by Steve Blass on TV and radio for the 2020 season, multiple sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday.

Current color man Bob Walk will continue in his current role for AT&T SportsNet and 93.7 FM The Fan, the sources said, while fellow analyst John Wehner — who has mostly done road games since Blass stopped traveling in 2005 — will keep a fairly similar role, as well.

There's a chance Wehner could do more games than before, but the Pirates are still finalizing the group behind him and Walk, sources said. Other names you could potentially hear include Michael McKenry, Kevin Young and Matt Capps, in addition to others on a less-frequent basis.

McKenry should be the most familiar. He’s been a studio analyst with AT&T SportsNet since 2018. Young has been a special assistant on the Pirates’ baseball operations staff since 2014.

Young played 1,205 MLB games, including 1,150 with the Pirates over 11 years and was a terrific defensive first baseman with some pop. He’s also been a mentor for current Pirates first baseman Josh Bell. McKenry caught for three MLB teams in his seven-year career, including 187 games for the Pirates from 2011-13.

Capps, who like Young was a seventh-round draft pick by the Pirates, saved 67 games as a reliever in Pittsburgh from 2005-2009, including 27 in 2009.

Jason Mackey: jmackey@post-gazette.com and Twitter @JMackeyPG.
Bobster21

News on color guys.

Post by Bobster21 »

I guess we're still stuck with Ramblin' Joe Block. :(
DemDog

News on color guys.

Post by DemDog »

Way to screw up things guys! I mean the FO. They want to not promote Wehner who I think is a very good color man and yet no want to get rid of "Mr. Boring and Full of Meaningless BS", Joe Block. Geez!

I see no need to add any other color analysts but if they do why not promote "The Fort" doing it a couple of times per week and give Walkie and The Rock a day off.

Or maybe even have 2 color guys on some days. One day on the radio and the other on tv. Use The Fort and KY but not Capps.

Now I wonder if Nutting approves this proposed increase in payroll for the broadcasting team? Oops! I forgot they just signed a new broadcasting rights deal with AT&T SportsNet that will pay for extra payroll. Would be nice though if Nutting would use that for player payroll.
WiffleballHero

News on color guys.

Post by WiffleballHero »

Maybe they should have also promoted Robby "How Does That Make You Feel" Incmikoski to Grease Trap Supervisor at Manny's BBQ.
Bobster21

News on color guys.

Post by Bobster21 »

566867676D6463606D6D4964736E010 wrote: Maybe they should have also promoted Robby "How Does That Make You Feel" Incmikoski to Grease Trap Supervisor at Manny's BBQ.
"Manny, what does it mean to you to sell a BBQ sandwich?"

Between Robby and Joe Block, viewers are routinely tortured.
shedman

News on color guys.

Post by shedman »

I was sure hoping that they would get rid of squeaky McHenry.
SammyKhalifa

News on color guys.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

766D606168646B050 wrote: I was sure hoping that they would get rid of squeaky McHenry.
I don't mind any of them; but I think to get good experience and rapport you should have people in there more consistently, not rotate guys in an out of the booth.
Bobster21

News on color guys.

Post by Bobster21 »

6C5E52524674575E5356595E3F0 wrote: I was sure hoping that they would get rid of squeaky McHenry.
I don't mind any of them; but I think to get good experience and rapport you should have people in there more consistently, not rotate guys in an out of the booth.
I agree. I watch a lot of Orioles games and they seem to have so many analysts you never know who you will see doing any one game.
johnfluharty

News on color guys.

Post by johnfluharty »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: Maybe they should have also promoted Robby "How Does That Make You Feel" Incmikoski to Grease Trap Supervisor at Manny's BBQ.

I have literally turned off the sound just to avoid hearing Block and I generally fast forward past Inky.
SammyKhalifa

News on color guys.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5451565058524B565F4C4A473E0 wrote: Maybe they should have also promoted Robby "How Does That Make You Feel" Incmikoski to Grease Trap Supervisor at Manny's BBQ.

I have literally turned off the sound just to avoid hearing Block and I generally fast forward past Inky.

Ithink Block on the radio is a bit more bearable because he has to actually stop to describe the action at times.