Cora Fired

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Lecom

Cora Fired

Post by Lecom »

The cheating scandal touched the Red Sox . Cora fired .
Bobster21

Cora Fired

Post by Bobster21 »

What's the matter with MLB? Don't they know how to sweep cheating issues under the rug like the NFL always does with the Patriots?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Cora Fired

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

644D4B4745280 wrote: The cheating scandal touched the Red Sox . Cora fired .

How much longer does Carlos Beltran hold his new job with the Mets?
fjk090852-7

Cora Fired

Post by fjk090852-7 »

207660747B61717A776052757F737B7E3C71120 wrote: The cheating scandal touched the Red Sox . Cora fired .

His job as the Mets manager may be in jeopardy, but when the Astros were doing their cheating Beltran was a player so possibly the Players Union may protect him from a termination at this time due to his prior player status.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Cora Fired

333F3E656C656D60677862550 wrote: The cheating scandal touched the Red Sox . Cora fired .

His job as the Mets manager may be in jeopardy, but when the Astros were doing their cheating Beltran was a player so possibly the Players Union may protect him from a termination at this time due to his prior player status.

Good point, but I'm wondering if there's some rule against player cheating in a case like this, particularly if, as said, he was especially involved.  It might be a generic rule that could lead to, at least, a suspension for Beltran.  That might allow the Mets to wiggle out of having to follow what the Astros and Sox have done.
Ecbucs

Cora Fired

Post by Ecbucs »

0254425659435358554270575D51595C1E53300 wrote: The cheating scandal touched the Red Sox . Cora fired .

Good point, but I'm wondering if there's some rule against player cheating in a case like this, particularly if, as said, he was especially involved.  It might be a generic rule that could lead to, at least, a suspension for Beltran.  That might allow the Mets to wiggle out of having to follow what the Astros and Sox have done.

I had read when punishment was first announced that players were not going to be punished (sorry I don't have link). Basically the idea was there are potentially so many players and some of them are playing on other teams now. Not sure if I agree with that logic but it could have something to do with legal difficulties if players did decide to challenge it.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Cora Fired

705657405646350 wrote: The cheating scandal touched the Red Sox . Cora fired .

I had read when punishment was first announced that players were not going to be punished (sorry I don't have link).  Basically the idea was there are potentially so many players and some of them are playing on other teams now.  Not sure if I agree with that logic but it could have something to do with legal difficulties if players did decide to challenge it.

That makes sense. The teams that signed the players who cheated shouldn't be penalized by losing those players to suspension. It'd probably be difficult to only punish Beltran, even if it turned out that he was the mastermind behind it. But I won't be surprised if he ends up with a small suspension, like during Spring Training, and/or a fine.
mouse

Cora Fired

Post by mouse »

If he was the mastermind behind the plan, he should probably be treated like the others. He isn't a player anymore, so his new team isn't being hurt in that sense. He's a manager. Two other managers have already gone. If they get axed, and he is actually involved, he shouldn't get more favorable treatment.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Cora Fired

32302A2C3A5F0 wrote: If he was the mastermind behind the plan, he should probably be treated like the others. He isn't a player anymore, so his new team isn't being hurt in that sense. He's a manager. Two other managers have already gone. If they get axed, and he is actually involved, he shouldn't get more favorable treatment.

I don't disagree, and I do think the Mets will feel some pressure to fire him. But his actions came as a player so there is a difference between him, Hinch, and Cora. I don't know if the union would come to his defense because of his present position but, if they do, then I guess it comes down to whether or not the Mets want to fight that fight.
Bobster21

Cora Fired

Post by Bobster21 »

376177636C76666D6077456268646C692B66050 wrote: If he was the mastermind behind the plan, he should probably be treated like the others. He isn't a player anymore, so his new team isn't being hurt in that sense. He's a manager. Two other managers have already gone. If they get axed, and he is actually involved, he shouldn't get more favorable treatment.

I don't disagree, and I do think the Mets will feel some pressure to fire him.  But his actions came as a player so there is a difference between him, Hinch, and Cora.  I don't know if the union would come to his defense because of his present position but, if they do, then I guess it comes down to whether or not the Mets want to fight that fight.
I think tbhe Mets will invite too much bad PR if they don't fire Beltran while Hinch, Luhnow and Cora were all fired. It would just look very bad and everyone will be closely watching the Mets if they don't. I don't believe managers are part of the union so that would probably not become an issue.