Clint

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Clint

Post by WildwoodDave »

I am sure that Bob Nutting is praying to the good Lord that either Houston, Boston, or the Mets, takes Hurdle's Contract off his hands
Bobster21

Clint

Post by Bobster21 »

16282D25362E2E2505203724410 wrote: I am sure that Bob Nutting is praying to the good Lord that either Houston, Boston, or the Mets, takes Hurdle's Contract off his hands
I don't think it would work that way. I believe Hurdle is entitled to the remainder of his contract with Nutting and could work for another team while getting a new contract with them.
skinnyhorse

Clint

Post by skinnyhorse »

416C61707766713132030 wrote: I am sure that Bob Nutting is praying to the good Lord that either Houston, Boston, or the Mets, takes Hurdle's Contract off his hands
I don't think it would work that way. I believe Hurdle is entitled to the remainder of his contract with Nutting and could work for another team while getting a new contract with them. 
I can't imagine any of those teams are that stupid.
BenM

Clint

Post by BenM »

120A080F0F18090E131204610 wrote: I am sure that Bob Nutting is praying to the good Lord that either Houston, Boston, or the Mets, takes Hurdle's Contract off his hands

But they might be desperate enough. Three teams need coaches less than a month from spring training. Dusty Baker has been associated with both the Mets and Astros.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Clint

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1F3833105D0 wrote: I am sure that Bob Nutting is praying to the good Lord that either Houston, Boston, or the Mets, takes Hurdle's Contract off his hands

But they might be desperate enough. Three teams need coaches less than a month from spring training. Dusty Baker has been associated with both the Mets and Astros.

Am I remembering correctly that Hurdle was being seriously considered for the Mets job when he was hired by the Pirates? Might they revisit their interest under the circumstances?
PMike

Clint

Post by PMike »

I actually think Clint would be a good manager for any of these three teams. Personally, I don't think game managing is that big of a deal. He is pretty average in this capacity. If he has good players, he won't mess it up too badly.

I always thought (until this past year) that he as a very good manager of people. I really appreciated his ability to stay balanced and not get to high or low. I think extreme emotions doesn't work in the long season of baseball. I think this year and his loss of control is an outlier for his career. If I were one of those teams, I'd certainly give him a shot in an interview over the other retreads that have been mentioned (Dusty Baker, Showalter, Venable, Gibbons, etc).
shedman

Clint

Post by shedman »

7F6246444A2F0 wrote: I actually think Clint would be a good manager for any of these three teams.  Personally, I don't think game managing is that big of a deal.  He is pretty average in this capacity.  If he has good players, he won't mess it up too badly.

I always thought (until this past year) that he as a very good manager of people.  I really appreciated his ability to stay balanced and not get to high or low.  I think extreme emotions doesn't work in the long season of baseball.  I think this year and his loss of control is an outlier for his career.  If I were one of those teams, I'd certainly give him a shot in an interview over the other retreads that have been mentioned (Dusty Baker, Showalter, Venable, Gibbons, etc).
----

I agree. I always thought that Hurdle was an OK Manager. The problems in Pittsburgh go higher than the Manager level.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Clint

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

My major issue with Hurdle was that he played some of his bench players far too much, like Sean Rodriquez. I understand that he wanted to keep them fresh, keep them involved, but sometimes he took it to an extreme.
mouse

Clint

Post by mouse »

I had the sense Hurdle was better with veterans than with younger players. Apparently his players liked him. The problem in Pittsburgh was lack of talent, which was not his fault.
shedman

Clint

Post by shedman »

34362C2A3C590 wrote: I had the sense Hurdle was better with veterans than with younger players. Apparently his players liked him. The problem in Pittsburgh was lack of talent, which was not his fault.
--

Agreed.