Cheating scandal apparently deepens ....

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I have no sympathy for the cheaters. And if it also involves Don Kelly (1B coach for Astros last year), so be it. I just hope he's not involved.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Alex Bregman is from Albuquerque and the press here treats him like he's God.

His dad is a scheister attorney who used to also own a baseball instruction academy for which my former son-in-law was an instructor. At one point my son-in-law was badly injured by a line drive, had to have a steel plate inserted in his skull, and Alex's dad, Sam Bregman, refused to cover it. Should have clearly been a worker's comp case. Bregman was eventually sued and they settled out of court.

So the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote: I have no sympathy for the cheaters. And if it also involves Don Kelly (1B coach for Astros last year), so be it. I just hope he's not involved.

Maybe he can teach Shelton the same stuff? Can't hurt.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

6E7E7F485E5E523D0 wrote: I have no sympathy for the cheaters. And if it also involves Don Kelly (1B coach for Astros last year), so be it. I just hope he's not involved.

Maybe he can teach Shelton the same stuff?  Can't hurt.

One pound of the can is a fastball, two a curve, etc., then change it for TV broadcasts.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: I have no sympathy for the cheaters. And if it also involves Don Kelly (1B coach for Astros last year), so be it. I just hope he's not involved.
It is just a guess, but I bet Kelly was not involved. If the manager as reported damaged a monitor or two, and could not stop the cheating it would be difficult for one of his coaches to put a stop to it. Also shortly after Derek Shelton was hired it has been reported that Jim Leyland called him and they had breakfast together. It seems that Leyland always had an appreciation for Don Kelly, and who knows possibly he told Shelton if possible hire him as one of the Pirates coaches to get him out of the mess in Houston.
shedman

Post by shedman »

At least we don't have to worry about our Pirates cheating. All of those fancy electronics cost way too much.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ex-WPIAL, Pitt star Kevan Smith at center of Astros’ sign-stealing: ‘We knew they had something’
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Let’s be realistic. The most corrupt sport in the the history has always been baseball. From the White Sox scandal, and even before, use of the spitball, steroids, uppers, more illegal gambling by players, (Pete Rose), and in all probability many others that were not caught. Even umpires. Wasn’t there an umpire that came out gay later after he retired? Who knows? Now, reports are that LaRussa also had a system in place. Look how, over the years, umpires either shrunk the strike zone in key games, (Stan Belinda), or even enlarging it for certain pitchers. If anybody could control the outcome, it would be umpires and pitchers. These people were caught because someone told. Nothing would have happened if it wasn’t admitted. Just like the Kennedy conspiracies, unless someone speaks out and has 100% validity, it can’t be proved. A jury of the Black Sox trial found them not guilty. Even the owner, Cominsky, was happy with the outcome. But, Landis still barred them. If this would have happened today with the trial, do you think that that would have been barred from playing? I personally, don’t think so. Sports are hypocritical! Alex Karras and Paul Hornung were both suspended for gambling, suspended, then allowed to continue playing, and later, inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Gambling and cheating go hand in hand.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I look at this scandal and think the real solution to the mess from here on is to fine the team not $5,000,000 but $50,000,000 minimum. Hurt the team where it hurts the most, in the wallet.  Put the onus of getting rid of this type of behavior on the ownership and banning guys like Hinch and Luhnow for life.  As for players, make them play for free for one year. 

Here is an article and video by Mike Clevinger of the Indians speaking out from the player's perspective. I like what he is saying.

From USA Today Sports

Mike Clevinger Speaks Out on Astro's Cheating