It Is Time For The Pirates To Add Some Players

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This offseason has seen changes to the FO and dugout, but with the New Year upon us it becomes important that some additional talent is added to the roster. Luke Maile and a few minor league free agents were added a couple weeks ago, but this team needs at least two or three veteran pitchers, a fourth outfielder especially  one to backup up Polanco who is probably not yet 100%. I would imagine another catcher since only two are on the current roster. While there are still some useful players on the free agent market I would hope the new management team would add to the team that won only 69 games in 2019.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It's tough.  The Reds just put out $20 million for three years for a Japanese outfielder.  Good signing? I don't know, but they're trying.

GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

With their history, I would not be surprised if nothing is done, in regard to signing free agents, until February. Will try to get the lowest price possible. And, as a result, will get nothing, in regard to quality. A quality catcher and pitching will in all probability be gone by then. The diminishing fan base will continue to suffer even more. New management is hoping to get quality draft picks for the next few years.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2705120D010E340F170E13080910600 wrote: With their history, I would not be surprised if nothing is done, in regard to signing free agents, until February. Will try to get the lowest price possible. And, as a result, will get nothing, in regard to quality.  A quality catcher and pitching will in all probability be gone by then. The diminishing fan base will continue to suffer even more. New management is hoping to get quality draft picks for the next few years.

I'll be Devil's Advocate for a moment here . . . why would (any team) sign a big free agent to add to a team that's not going to be any good anyhow? As much as I'd like a catcher or rotation piece that will stick around a while . . .
mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm expecting them to play younger players to see what they have. I don't think there are any catchers out there worth paying a lot to. I would look for them to gather a catcher in a trade. In short, it will be a down year (alas, I am more optimistic than most and think they will be better than last year) but we will get to see the future staking its claim to the field.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

11232F2F3B092A232E2B2423420 wrote: With their history, I would not be surprised if nothing is done, in regard to signing free agents, until February. Will try to get the lowest price possible. And, as a result, will get nothing, in regard to quality.  A quality catcher and pitching will in all probability be gone by then. The diminishing fan base will continue to suffer even more. New management is hoping to get quality draft picks for the next few years.

I'll be Devil's Advocate for a moment here . . . why would (any team) sign a big free agent to add to a team that's not going to be any good anyhow?  As much as I'd like a catcher or rotation piece that will stick around a while . . .

Ivan Nova is still out there. I think catchers like Castro and Chineros would only sign with Pirates as a last resort unless the Pirates offer a lot more money (which they shouldn't and won't do).
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

33010D0D192B08010C090601600 wrote: With their history, I would not be surprised if nothing is done, in regard to signing free agents, until February. Will try to get the lowest price possible. And, as a result, will get nothing, in regard to quality.  A quality catcher and pitching will in all probability be gone by then. The diminishing fan base will continue to suffer even more. New management is hoping to get quality draft picks for the next few years.

I'll be Devil's Advocate for a moment here . . . why would (any team) sign a big free agent to add to a team that's not going to be any good anyhow?  As much as I'd like a catcher or rotation piece that will stick around a while . . .

I don’t expect them to sign a big free agent, but a player who is in the 3 to 7 million range should not be out of their comfort zone. The salaries for Cervelli, Kang, Dickerson, Cisenhall as well as Vazquez are off the books from last season so there is room in the budget to add a few pieces to the 2020 team.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I am looking for the Bucs to add young talent through trades, and have much less concern regarding the quality of the one-year free agent rentals who ultimately are signed. That said, I don't want to see the Bucs succumb to signing the likes of Wad LeBlanc to a 1 year $3 mil deal.

Unfortunately, it also appears that most teams are now hording young talent even more than just 3 years ago. As such, not sure how much trading Marte will yield. Probably also means that the Bucs should keep Bell and hope that he has another monster month in June so they could trade him at peak value.

I am expecting to experience a lot of pain (mental anguish) next year while watching the Bucs.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I honestly don't mind if the new FO takes a season to seriously evaluate what they have in the system and to integrate the new coaching and development approach (while keeping an eye out for good value in trades and such).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

C'mon, they re-signed Jake Elmore. What more do you want?