Couldn’t even keep Liriano

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

I thought Liriano had a good season last year and was our only lefty other than Brault. We don’t even attempt to resign our low dollar performers.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4B6E6D6D78536E666473010 wrote: Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

I thought Liriano had a good season last year and was our only lefty other than Brault. We don’t even attempt to resign our low dollar performers.
Many low dollar free agents have been signed by teams since the New Year, and the Pirates have not done anything. It appears they don’t care to give the fans anything that would give them even a small chance of excitement for the upcoming season.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

222E2F747D747C71766973440 wrote: Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

Many low dollar free agents have been signed by teams since the New Year, and the Pirates have not done anything. It appears they don’t care to give the fans anything that would give them even a small chance of excitement for the upcoming season.

this way when the team wins 63 games they can crow about it and say, " and everybody thought we'd lose 100! The jokes on them."
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2C20217A737A727F78677D4A0 wrote: Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

I don't know how they are going to market this team to be honest as far as getting people to the park. Liriano is not a stud, but there certainly was a place for him in the pitching department. I would rather see him on the mound than Brault, or Lithuania guy, or 90% of the other names we will see. I like Brault's bat though. Maybe he can start at C? God know he can hit better than any of them.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Looks like the Bucs will throw Del Pozo, Jerez, Turley, Weiman, and Howard against a wall, and hope that one of them sticks. Out of that crowd, I'm pulling for Weiman.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3020211600000C630 wrote: Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

I don't know how they are going to market this team to be honest as far as getting people to the park.  Liriano is not a stud, but there certainly was a place for him in the pitching department.  I would rather see him on the mound than Brault, or Lithuania guy, or 90% of the other names we will see.  I like Brault's bat though.  Maybe he can start at C?  God know he can hit better than any of them.
The Orioles are going thru a total rebuild. In 2018 they went 47-115 and drew 1.5 million (26th in MLB). At least that team began the season with Machado and Schoop and was still hoping for better results from Bundy and Gausman. By 2019 there was no pretense that they could compete. The SS was rule 5 pick Richie Martin. 3B was first time starter Rio Ruiz. Catching was a committee of 4 unproven players. The OF was a committee of Mancini and 3 unproven players. 18 different pitchers started games and a total of 38 players pitched including several position players. Rookie outfielder Steve Wilkerson pitched 4 times. The Orioles went 54-108 and attendance was 1.3 million (28th in MLB and worse than the Pirates). This is a franchise that from 1992-2001 drew over 3 million 9 out of 10 seasons. It's not pretty but they are going thru the pains of trying to develop players. They aren't bringing in players to excite the fan base.

With ST just a few weeks away, this looks like the path the 2020 Pirates are taking. They aren't looking to shore up any positions with proven talent. They're willing to look at what they've got. And just as the Orioles moved Machado and Schoop, the Pirates will likely move Marte and possibly Bell before things get any better. There will be bobbleheads and fireworks and concerts to attract fans. But I think we have to brace ourselves for a long season of losing baseball with the goal of developing players and mgt is not concerned about fan disinterest while this process is ongoing. They got a new TV deal and they get their luxury tax welfare payments. Attendance revenue is not a high priority and even when they set a franchise attendance record in 2015, they chose not to use that revenue to add talent to the team. So the Pirates have nothing to lose by punting on 2020 while they try to develop talent internally while giving their fans no reason to come to the ballpark.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Liriano was good through mid-june then stunk the rest of the year.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

1E0E0F382E2E224D0 wrote: Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

I don't know how they are going to market this team to be honest as far as getting people to the park.  Liriano is not a stud, but there certainly was a place for him in the pitching department.  I would rather see him on the mound than Brault, or Lithuania guy, or 90% of the other names we will see.  I like Brault's bat though.  Maybe he can start at C?  God know he can hit better than any of them.
I will make this prediction that Brault will have the highest batting average of anyone on the team
shedman

Post by shedman »

7767665147474B240 wrote: Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

---

Marketing this team will be easy. Increase the number of "bring your dog" days, add a couple of "bring your cat" day", focus on pierogi races, and increase the number of fireworks and after game band days.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

210C01101706115152630 wrote: Liriano along with Walker and Harrison sign with the Phils.

The Orioles are going thru a total rebuild. In 2018 they went 47-115 and drew 1.5 million (26th in MLB). At least that team began the season with Machado and Schoop and was still hoping for better results from Bundy and Gausman. By 2019 there was no pretense that they could compete. The SS was rule 5 pick Richie Martin. 3B was first time starter Rio Ruiz. Catching was a committee of 4 unproven players. The OF was a committee of Mancini and 3 unproven players. 18 different pitchers started games and a total of 38 players pitched including several position players. Rookie outfielder Steve Wilkerson pitched 4 times. The Orioles went 54-108 and attendance was 1.3 million (28th in MLB and worse than the Pirates). This is a franchise that from 1992-2001 drew over 3 million 9 out of 10 seasons. It's not pretty but they are going thru the pains of trying to develop players. They aren't bringing in players to excite the fan base.

With ST just a few weeks away, this looks like the path the 2020 Pirates are taking. They aren't looking to shore up any positions with proven talent. They're willing to look at what they've got. And just as the Orioles moved Machado and Schoop, the Pirates will likely move Marte and possibly Bell before things get any better. There will be bobbleheads and fireworks and concerts to attract fans. But I think we have to brace ourselves for a long season of losing baseball with the goal of developing players and mgt is not concerned about fan disinterest while this process is ongoing. They got a new TV deal and they get their luxury tax welfare payments. Attendance revenue is not a high priority and even when they set a franchise attendance record in 2015, they chose not to use that revenue to add talent to the team. So the Pirates have nothing to lose by punting on 2020 while they try to develop talent internally while giving their fans no reason to come to the ballpark.

This is exactly right.  The big problem I see is that the club is "willing to look at what they've got".  When Marte and Bell are traded, "what they've got" are only Reynolds and Newman.  The farm system is barren.  If BC can't get an outstanding return for Marte and Bell, it's going to be a long time (4-6 years if all goes well) before the Pirates will be competitive again.  So they might as well start now.  Tear it to the ground.  Don't put it off another minute.