9 Innings of Quick Takes and Argument Starters

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

1. Our best acquisition of the offseason hasn’t happened yet. I want to believe Ben Cherington when he says we will sign a centerfielder, but I wonder what’s holding things up. Like many others, I’m sure, I’m hoping it’s Kevin Pillar.

2. With that said, our best pickup to date has been Robbie Erlin, who will undoubtedly be added to our 40-man just as soon as Jameson Taillon can be put on the 60-day DL. Erlin has decent advanced stats and is easily the best lefty reliever on the Pirates.

3. Edgar Santana won’t make the 26-man breaking camp, for the simple reason that he has remaining options. Richard Rodriguez is the only other 26-man projected reliever with options.

4. Cole Tucker won’t make the 26-man at season’s start either, because there isn’t enough playing time to go around, and Tucker’s bat could use some time in AAA anyway.

5. The Pirates will not trade Adam Frazier or Keona Kela before the trade deadline, if then. One big injury to a contender’s closer or second baseman, though, and we’ll be waving goodbye.

6. Jose Osuna gets my vote as the most underrated Pirate. He was easily our best PH last season, was a .333 batter in late/close appearances, defends adequately at third base and exceptionally at first base, but I never hear anyone talk about him.

7. Chris Archer will be the ace of this year’s staff – at least until the trading deadline.

8. Yacksel Rios will be the first player DFA’ed from our 40-man this season.

9. I live in a AAA town, and I look forward to Indianapolis visiting each season. I predict the following lineup when they visit:

Jared Oliva, CF

Ke’Bryan Hayes, 3B

Jason Martin, LF

Will Craig, 1B

Kevin Kramer, 2B

Pablo Reyes, RF

Cole Tucker, SS

Socrates Brito, DH

J.R. Murphy, C

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

123833033422222E410 wrote: 1. Our best acquisition of the offseason hasn’t happened yet. I want to believe Ben Cherington when he says we will sign a centerfielder, but I wonder what’s holding things up. Like many others, I’m sure, I’m hoping it’s Kevin Pillar.

2. With that said, our best pickup to date has been Robbie Erlin, who will undoubtedly be added to our 40-man just as soon as Jameson Taillon can be put on the 60-day DL. Erlin has decent advanced stats and is easily the best lefty reliever on the Pirates.

3. Edgar Santana won’t make the 26-man breaking camp, for the simple reason that he has remaining options.  Richard Rodriguez is the only other 26-man projected reliever with options.

4. Cole Tucker won’t make the 26-man at season’s start either, because there isn’t enough playing time to go around, and Tucker’s bat could use some time in AAA anyway.

5. The Pirates will not trade Adam Frazier or Keona Kela before the trade deadline, if then.  One big injury to a contender’s closer or second baseman, though, and we’ll be waving goodbye.

6. Jose Osuna gets my vote as the most underrated Pirate. He was easily our best PH last season, was a .333 batter in late/close appearances, defends adequately at third base and exceptionally at first base, but I never hear anyone talk about him.

7. Chris Archer will be the ace of this year’s staff – at least until the trading deadline.

9. I live in a AAA town, and I look forward to Indianapolis visiting each season. I predict the following lineup when they visit:

Jared Oliva, CF

Ke’Bryan Hayes, 3B

Jason Martin, LF

Will Craig, 1B

Kevin Kramer, 2B

Pablo Reyes, RF

Cole Tucker, SS

Socrates Brito, DH

J.R. Murphy, C

very good post, do you put Reyes in rf and Brito at DH because you think Reyes is more likely to be back with the Bucs?
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

062021362030430 wrote: 1. Our best acquisition of the offseason hasn’t happened yet. I want to believe Ben Cherington when he says we will sign a centerfielder, but I wonder what’s holding things up. Like many others, I’m sure, I’m hoping it’s Kevin Pillar.

3. Edgar Santana won’t make the 26-man breaking camp, for the simple reason that he has remaining options.  Richard Rodriguez is the only other 26-man projected reliever with options.

5. The Pirates will not trade Adam Frazier or Keona Kela before the trade deadline, if then.  One big injury to a contender’s closer or second baseman, though, and we’ll be waving goodbye.

Jared Oliva, CF

Ke’Bryan Hayes, 3B

Jason Martin, LF

Will Craig, 1B

Kevin Kramer, 2B

Pablo Reyes, RF

Cole Tucker, SS

Socrates Brito, DH

J.R. Murphy, C

very good post, do you put Reyes in rf and Brito at DH because you think Reyes is more likely to be back with the Bucs?

Brito is older, Reyes is more versatile. Hard to see Reyes as a DH, when he can be moved from RF to just about anywhere on the field as needed.

Thanks for the comment!
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

072D26162137373B540 wrote: 1. Our best acquisition of the offseason hasn’t happened yet. I want to believe Ben Cherington when he says we will sign a centerfielder, but I wonder what’s holding things up. Like many others, I’m sure, I’m hoping it’s Kevin Pillar.

Well, it won't be Billy Hamilton. He just signed with the Giants.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

163C37073026262A450 wrote: 1. Our best acquisition of the offseason hasn’t happened yet. I want to believe Ben Cherington when he says we will sign a centerfielder, but I wonder what’s holding things up. Like many others, I’m sure, I’m hoping it’s Kevin Pillar.

Well, it won't be Billy Hamilton. He just signed with the Giants.
I'm actually glad about that. We have enough slap hitters on the roster.
Quail

Post by Quail »

674D46764157575B340 wrote: 1. Our best acquisition of the offseason hasn’t happened yet. I want to believe Ben Cherington when he says we will sign a centerfielder, but I wonder what’s holding things up. Like many others, I’m sure, I’m hoping it’s Kevin Pillar.

Jared Oliva, CF

Ke’Bryan Hayes, 3B

Jason Martin, LF

Will Craig, 1B

Kevin Kramer, 2B

Pablo Reyes, RF

Cole Tucker, SS

Socrates Brito, DH

J.R. Murphy, C

I'm with ya 100% on Osuna. One of the things I'm most interested in this year is to see how the new management group views his potential/skill set. I felt that NH and Company continually undervalued him. Can't wait to see what happens when a new set of eyes takes a fresh look at him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Count me among the Osuna fans. He's got power, handles 1B smoothly and didn't hurt them at 3B. Between he and Moran at 3B, I'd rather see Osuna. At the very least a L/R platoon there.

Furthermore, Bell's time is limited for financial/free agency issues. Osuna would likely sign an extension just for the job security. He hit well off the bench last year but I'd like to see him get enough ABs playing regularly to determine if he can be an asset in the future, especially assuming Bell is probably gone within a year. I still remember him getting those 3 assists in 1 game from LF in 2017. He's got a gun. The exact opposite of Bell's arm.