4 outfielder shifts in 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Pirates to Experiment with 4 Outfielders Shift in 2020

Go figure! It looks like a big step in using more analytics to improve the defense and limit runs. Lord only knows that this iteration of the Bucs will need to limit runs cause the hitters certainly don't look to score very many.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Wasn't the shortstop originally an outfield position? Back to the future I guess.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

yep, reverse concept of "hit it where they ain't"

if you got the data to show where they most likely and often hit.... put em there.

used to be there were 3 infielders and shortstop was the guy that helped throw the ball in from the outfielders to the infielders and field the balls in the short outfield.

with Launch angle approaches changing, you have to adapt to that as well as more informed data.

if you got a big slugger pull hitter up in many situations, it doesnt make a lot of sense to have that 2b with no one on or a man on 3rd
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I don't mind that the Pirates will use four outfielders occasionally this year, I just wish they could have four infielders at the same time.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Well, 4 outfielders won't make this team win. I find it frustrating that they will try anything and everything......except paying to either keep or acquire talent. Nutting insists on a bargain basement roster. Nothing else they try will overcome that disadvantage.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: Well, 4 outfielders won't make this team win. I find it frustrating that they will try anything and everything......except paying to either keep or acquire talent. Nutting insists on a bargain basement roster. Nothing else they try will overcome that disadvantage.

Right on Bobster.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

four outfielders and four infielders at the same time. Won't matter

when the ball is sailing into the Allegheny