FanGraphs Top 42 Pirate Prospects

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Here ya go:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/category/prospect-list/

Interesting how closely our list lines up with theirs.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I may be missing something obvious, but why 42 prospects. That seems an odd number to pick.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

4E4C565046230 wrote: I may be missing something obvious, but why 42 prospects. That seems an odd number to pick.

They include all the organization prospects that reach a certain level on their grading scale. The bigger your list, the better.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Ah, thank you.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I like the Fangraphs lists, thanks for posting the link.

last year's list only had 35.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Interesting that Mojica is listed as lowly as he is and that he’s listed as a first baseman. Though they do seem to put the lower level guys toward the bottom.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

This list is good because you also get an objective look at the guys in the lower levels.

I feel like I learned more about Mojica, Jerez and Nolasco than I learned from having a P2 subscription all last year. I knew that Mojica was a man-child who will have defensive limitations and that Nolasco was maybe the cream of the crop.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Thanks for posting as it's an interesting list. This is NOT a "we should have kept NH post" as that would surely be a invitation to be burned at the stake now-a-days. But the posts/articles/whines that our minor league system is bare and needs this major rebuild really frustrate me.

Top end yes, as a lot of young players had graduated to the majors in recent years. But Neal also had brought in some very interesting pieces at the lower levels. And I don't know if their latest quantity over quality approach under new direction to the international draft was a bad one.

We do all know Neal's major trades were a disaster, but he had a way of picking up interesting pieces in the smaller "no-one's-really-looking" trades -- see Cruz and Thomas in their Top 5. And there were other more off-the-radar moves (maybe off-the-draft) that have resulted in some interesting players -- see Bae and Mears in their Top 20. And of course Burdi, who we got as a Rule 5 and who I hope puts a big exclamation mark on his very compelling story.

Now like all prospects, who knows who will develop into big leaguers. Maybe a better development system will give us much better MLB results. But I think this list does support the fact that BC comes into a job where he actually doesn't need to "restock" or "rebuild" our minor league system. He does have to develop better and make better "big" trades and hopefully put some more good pieces on lists like this. But the cupboard just ain't bare.

Please don't get a match, I'm just saying ...

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1A3B2E271F263D2E3B2A4F0 wrote: Thanks for posting as it's an interesting list. This is NOT a "we should have kept NH post" as that would surely be a invitation to be burned at the stake now-a-days. But the posts/articles/whines that our minor league system is bare and needs this major rebuild really frustrate me.

Top end yes, as a lot of young players had graduated to the majors in recent years. But Neal also had brought in some very interesting pieces at the lower levels. And I don't know if their latest quantity over quality approach under new direction to the international draft was a bad one.

We do all know Neal's major trades were a disaster, but he had a way of picking up interesting pieces in the smaller "no-one's-really-looking" trades -- see Cruz and Thomas in their Top 5. And there were other more off-the-radar moves (maybe off-the-draft) that have resulted in some interesting players -- see Bae and Mears in their Top 20. And of course Burdi, who we got as a Rule 5 and who I hope puts a big exclamation mark on his very compelling story.

Now like all prospects, who knows who will develop into big leaguers. Maybe a better development system will give us much better MLB results. But I think this list does support the fact that BC comes into a job where he actually doesn't need to "restock" or "rebuild" our minor league system. He does have to develop better and make better "big" trades and hopefully put some more good pieces on lists like this. But the cupboard just ain't bare. 

Please don't get a match, I'm just saying ...
The issue with making better trades, regardless of who the GM is, is that teams are generally unwilling to give up top prospects who have achieved success at AA or AAA and Nutting won't allow the acquisition of productive veterans who come with salaries typical of what such players earn. That doesn't leave much for a Pirate GM. Dickerson and Archer came with team friendly contracts. And Archer was on the decline with plenty of better veteran pitchers who probably could have been had for what NH gave up. But other productive pitchers were more expensive so they couldn't be considered. With the Marte deal, teams weren't going to give up top prospects at higher levels. So BC trades for young prospects in rookie leagues before they demonstrate enough to become untouchable prospects. So they could become stars or duds. No one knows. It's a very tough situation for a Pirate GM to be in. Not allowed to trade for productive players who would spike the minimalist payroll and unable to pry top prospects from other teams.