Brewers/Yellich to sign 9 year $215 million extension

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

Too bad the Pirates aren't in a large market city like. . . Milwaukee.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

66414A69240 wrote: Too bad the Pirates aren't in a large market city like. . . Milwaukee.

;D
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Really bad that the Bucs have not had a ballplayer like Yelich since Brian Giles!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

When you hear that the Brewers are paying one player that much money, one has to wonder how much money that the Pirates ownership must be putting in their pockets. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I still believe the Players Association will push for some type of revenue floor when they negotiate the new Labor Agreement after the 2021 season. If teams have to spend a minimum amount each season, the Pirates may keep some of their players rather than trading them prior to free agency.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I don't ever see Bob Nutting willing to pay one of his laborers that kind of money. It violates a prime tenet he learned in business school.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I haven't looked at the details of the deal, but you have to question it a bit.  Yelich is already 28.  He is in his prime.  This contract pays for 2-3 more years of prime production, then maybe another 2-3 of above average production, and 3-5 years of "full decline" production.  Sure, the $24M/yr may not seem so steep from 2025 on, but it's a lot of money and a long term.  I'd have rather paid him $30M/yr for 5 or 6 years.  Let someone else pay him in the steepest part of his decline from age 33 or 34 on.
shedman

Post by shedman »

065046525D47575C5146745359555D581A57340 wrote: I don't ever see Bob Nutting willing to pay one of his laborers that kind of money.   It violates a prime tenet he learned in business school.
_______

There are several distinct models of operation of a baseball team as follows:

1. Large market clubs - Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs. They go out and acquire the hottest FA every year. They can afford it and are able to compete year after year. Some of the FA they acquire turn out to be busts and they waste their money. They don't care about that, next year they just go out and acquire new hot FA's.

2. Mid market clubs - Most clubs fit in this category. They can afford some FA so they acquire FA up to their budget and then attempt to add a couple prospects to supplement their teams. The end result is that they are competitive in many but not all seasons.

3. Small market clubs - Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Florida, etc. They have to build a team from within, but when their time is right, they can afford to go out and they get a couple of FA to supplement their teams. They are not competitive as often, but this group has won Division Championships on occasion.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates - Their model of operation is to never ever spend any money to improve the team. They just kick the can down the road and promise their fans a future which never arrives. The money they have available for FA goes straight to Bob Nutting's bank account. They never win a Division Championship.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5A414C4D444847290 wrote: I don't ever see Bob Nutting willing to pay one of his laborers that kind of money.   It violates a prime tenet he learned in business school.
_______

There are several distinct models of operation of a baseball team as follows:

1. Large market clubs - Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs.  They go out and acquire the hottest FA every year.  They can afford it and are able to compete year after year.  Some of the FA they acquire turn out to be busts and they waste their money.  They don't care about that, next year they just go out and acquire new hot FA's.

2. Mid market clubs - Most clubs fit in this category.  They can afford some FA so they acquire FA up to their budget and then attempt to add a couple prospects to supplement their teams.  The end result is that they are competitive in many but not all seasons.

3. Small market clubs - Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Florida, etc.  They have to build a team from within, but when their time is right, they can afford to go out and they get a couple of FA to supplement their teams.  They are not competitive as often, but this group has won Division Championships on occasion.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates - Their model of operation is to never ever spend any money to improve the team.  They just kick the can down the road and promise their fans a future which never arrives.  The money they have available for FA goes straight to Bob Nutting's bank account.  They never win a Division Championship.

Until the Pirates do what Milwaukee just did, no one can ever say you're wrong. They'll have that chance soon with Josh Bell. I think we all know how it's going to go.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

0D5B4D59564C5C575A4D7F58525E5653115C3F0 wrote:

Until the Pirates do what Milwaukee just did, no one can ever say you're wrong.  They'll have that chance soon with Josh Bell.  I think we all know how it's going to go.

Bell is not comparable to Yelich at all. Yelich is coming off back-to-back 7+ WAR seasons. Don't like WAR? His OPS was 1.000 and 1.100 the last two years. That said, last year's Bell (2.9 WAR, .936 OPS) was really good, and I'd happily run him out as the middle-of-the-order thumper he was for the next several years. The way he hit in the first half last year was something to see.

But I would not want to give Bell a 9 year contract - just as I don't think it was a great idea for the Brewers to give that term to Yelich. And Bell isn't likely to age as well as Yelich. But if they could resign Bell for 5 years at $12-15M/year, I'd go for that after this season - assuming he proves this year that he can put up 2.5+ WAR consistently.

Would Nutting try to sign him? Doubt it.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bob Nutting says the Brewers are foolish.