A Second Grievance Against The Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Players Union has filed another grievance against the Pirates regarding the lack of spending money with regards to the revenue money they receive. I hope they keep the Pirates feet to the fire. I think we all wonder how some small market teams can spend much more money than the Pirates. So where does the the Pirates revenue sharing money go ?
Javy

Post by Javy »

6965643F363F373A3D22380F0 wrote: The Players Union has filed another grievance against the Pirates regarding the lack of spending money with regards to the revenue money they receive. I hope they keep the Pirates feet to the fire. I think we all wonder how some small market teams can spend much more money than the Pirates. So where does the the Pirates revenue  sharing money go ?
The standard sarcastic answer would be the First National Banl of Wheeling, but seriously, they must have some creative way of showing where that money goes in relation to the baseball operations. MLB apparently is satisfied because they had the Pirates back the last time around. Whatever it is, we, the fans, sure as heck don't see any positives coming out of the 're-investment'!
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

517A6D621B0 wrote: The Players Union has filed another grievance against the Pirates regarding the lack of spending money with regards to the revenue money they receive. I hope they keep the Pirates feet to the fire. I think we all wonder how some small market teams can spend much more money than the Pirates. So where does the the Pirates revenue  sharing money go ?
The standard sarcastic answer would be the First National Banl of Wheeling, but seriously, they must have some creative way of showing where that money goes in relation to the baseball operations. MLB apparently is satisfied because they had the Pirates back the last time around. Whatever it is, we, the fans, sure as heck don't see any positives coming out of the 're-investment'!

Got that right Javy!

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F46404C4E230 wrote: The Players Union has filed another grievance against the Pirates regarding the lack of spending money with regards to the revenue money they receive. I hope they keep the Pirates feet to the fire. I think we all wonder how some small market teams can spend much more money than the Pirates. So where does the the Pirates revenue  sharing money go ?

Got that right Javy!
I think MLB will always have Nutting's back as he is one of their own just as the union looks out for their own. MLB will never publicly conclude that any of their franchises is essentially tanking it so that the owner can pad his pockets. That would be a scandal MLB doesn't want. So they will accept any and every explanation he gives for how the money is spent and they won't ask any questions or for proof. And not just for Nutting's sake. MLB doesn't want to be in the business of getting involved in how owners spend. That would mean monitoring and some type of enforcement. So they bury their heads in the sand when a Nutting comes along and uses the MLB system purely for financial gain at the expense of the competitive aspect. Maybe the union can expose Nutting for what he is. :(
Javy

Post by Javy »

Maybe the union can expose Nutting for what he is.

THAT would be the best we could hope for....alot of the media and fanbase think he is less than what he professes to be, that would just prove it is true.

While MLB wouldn't throw one of their own under the bus, they may choose not to tell him it's coming and let the chips fall where they may.
shedman

Post by shedman »

5873646B120 wrote: The Players Union has filed another grievance against the Pirates regarding the lack of spending money with regards to the revenue money they receive. I hope they keep the Pirates feet to the fire. I think we all wonder how some small market teams can spend much more money than the Pirates. So where does the the Pirates revenue  sharing money go ?

_______

Where does the money go?  I don't think the First National Bank of Wheeling is too far fetched an answer.  A few years back when the financials of several t eams were somehow leaked to the media, Nutting made an immediate release that day to the media to explain that the money taken out of the Pirates organization was repayment for a "loan" that he made to the Pirates.  I wonder how many more "loans" he has been repayed for over the intervening years???
BenM

Post by BenM »

544F42434A4649270 wrote: The Players Union has filed another grievance against the Pirates regarding the lack of spending money with regards to the revenue money they receive. I hope they keep the Pirates feet to the fire. I think we all wonder how some small market teams can spend much more money than the Pirates. So where does the the Pirates revenue  sharing money go ?

_______

Where does the money go?  I don't think the First National Bank of Wheeling is too far fetched an answer.  A few years back when the financials of several t eams were somehow leaked to the media, Nutting made an immediate release that day to the media to explain that the money taken out of the Pirates organization was repayment for a "loan" that he made to the Pirates.  I wonder how many more "loans" he has been repayed for over the intervening years???

I suspect it goes to supporting Nutting's newspaper business. Unless you are publishing from New York or Washington DC, physical newspapers are the worst media properties to own right now and the future looks even worse. Even business genius Warren Buffet is getting out and Kevin McClatchy just put his newspaper business into bankruptcy.

It's possible Nutting has some secret formula that makes his business different, but I doubt it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0D2A21024F0 wrote: The Players Union has filed another grievance against the Pirates regarding the lack of spending money with regards to the revenue money they receive. I hope they keep the Pirates feet to the fire. I think we all wonder how some small market teams can spend much more money than the Pirates. So where does the the Pirates revenue  sharing money go ?

_______

I suspect it goes to supporting Nutting's newspaper business. Unless you are publishing from New York or Washington DC, physical newspapers are the worst media properties to own right now and the future looks even worse. Even business genius Warren Buffet is getting out and Kevin McClatchy just put his newspaper business into bankruptcy.

It's possible Nutting has some secret formula that makes his business different, but I doubt it.
Don't forget about the Dominican academy. That was the excuse explanation as to where the 50 million Disney money went when the Pirates were the only MLB team to sign 0 FAs the season that money was distributed. I'll bet that's where all the money is going. Yeah, that's the ticket. ::)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Nothing to see here. Remember when questions started two years ago after Cutch and Cole were dealt ... then hours later after Cole was dealt, Nutting extends Vasquez.

Now that the heat is coming, word leaks Pittsburgh is trying to extend Musgrove, Bell, Newman and Reynolds. Nothing will happen.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

We all know we have one of the worst owners in all of sports.  Sadly, nothing will change short of a scandal that forces MLB to make him sell.  Frankly, I don't think most of the other owners care that Nutting runs the organization the way he does because they know his Pirates will never be a threat to them when competing for a title.  They're fine with one less team to overcome.  They only need the franchise for scheduling purposes.  To them, it's to their advantage that it not be one that wants to win.