Cherington says Pirates will spend when the time is right.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

:) My thought exactly. Where have we heard that promise before?
Quail

Post by Quail »

As Mike Lange would say: "I've seen this fish before."
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Again, in free market signings our big pickups have been Liriano at 3 years, $39 million and Nova at 3 years, $26 million. They choked on Happ at 3 years, $36 million. It just seems like their budgeting hasn't accept risk beyond these years/amounts. Has that changed?
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

5B687475767E48756E72696E7F73741A0 wrote: Again, in free market signings our big pickups have been Liriano at 3 years, $39 million and Nova at 3 years, $26 million.  They choked on Happ at 3 years, $36 million.  It just seems like their budgeting hasn't accept risk beyond these years/amounts.  Has that changed?
Failure to sign Happ was the worst non-signing I can recall in recent memory. I believe that it cost us the playoffs in 2016.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

123833033422222E410 wrote: Again, in free market signings our big pickups have been Liriano at 3 years, $39 million and Nova at 3 years, $26 million.  They choked on Happ at 3 years, $36 million.  It just seems like their budgeting hasn't accept risk beyond these years/amounts.  Has that changed?
Failure to sign Happ was the worst non-signing I can recall in recent memory. I believe that it cost us the playoffs in 2016.
Keeping a pitcher who had turned into a stud before their very eyes (and who would go 20-4 the next year) to compensate for losing a retiring Burnett from a 98 win team profiting from the revenue of record attendance was simply not "the right time" to spend. ::)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

596A7677747C4A776C706B6C7D7176180 wrote: Again, in free market signings our big pickups have been Liriano at 3 years, $39 million and Nova at 3 years, $26 million.  They choked on Happ at 3 years, $36 million.  It just seems like their budgeting hasn't accept risk beyond these years/amounts.  [highlight]Has that changed?[/highlight]

Two words: no it hasn't.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

WOW JUST WOW > SHOW ME!!!!!!!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

60494F43412C0 wrote: WOW JUST WOW > SHOW ME!!!!!!!!

I've got $4 in my pocket that says they never will.
Javy

Post by Javy »

The names may have changed, but the 'spin' remains the same.

Sorry, but I just have to believe that this gibberish is handed down from above. Nutting must really believe that people don't have memories.