Will the Bucs Use Options to Settle the Log Jam at Pitcher?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

The Bucs probably don't have any All Star level talent on their pitching staff but they have at least 16 pitchers that have performed well in recent years.

The only three of this group with options are Chad Kuhl, Rich Rodriguez and Edgar Santana. There is a case for starting them all out in AAA. Look who's left:

Rotation:

Archer, Holland (NRI), Keller, Musgrove, Williams

Bullpen:

RHP: Kela, Burdi, Crick, Feliz, Holmes, Stratton

LHP: Brault, Erlin (NRI)

Brubaker, Cederlind and Ponce are the best regarded options on the 40-man probably ticketed for Indy.

Neverauskas has no remaining options and will be DFA'ed for Holland or Erlin. Even if one of those lefties doesn't make the team, two of Kuhl, Rodriguez and Santana will still lose out on the numbers game.

Nobody's hoping for an injury, but that may be the only way the Bucs start the season purely on the basis of talent, without weighing the options situation.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

6F454E7E495F5F533C0 wrote: The Bucs probably don't have any All Star level talent on their pitching staff but they have at least 16 pitchers that have performed well in recent years.

The only three of this group with options are Chad Kuhl, Rich Rodriguez and Edgar Santana. There is a case for starting them all out in AAA. Look who's left:

Rotation:

Bullpen:

Brubaker, Cederlind and Ponce are the best regarded options on the 40-man probably ticketed for Indy.

Neverauskas has no remaining options and will be DFA'ed for Holland or Erlin. Even if one of those lefties doesn't make the team, two of Kuhl, Rodriguez and Santana will still lose out on the numbers game.

Nobody's hoping for an injury, but that may be the only way the Bucs start the season purely on the basis of talent, without weighing the options situation.

At this point, I would swap Brault and Holland and be surprised if Erlin makes it . Whatever they do the whole staff needs to pitch better . Good post !
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't expect Holmes to make it. Feliz and Stratton are on thin ice.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

597479686F7E69292A1B0 wrote: I don't expect Holmes to make it. Feliz and Stratton are on thin ice.

Everyone should be on thin ice if we are looking to form a competitive roster. I have no idea what happens. I can see Lithuanian guy back which makes me purge. If NH was here Feliz would be here only for the fact you have to see if he can do something to make that lopsided deal for Cole not look as bad as it really is/was.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7D6D6C5B4D4D412E0 wrote: I don't expect Holmes to make it. Feliz and Stratton are on thin ice.

Everyone should be on thin ice if we are looking to form a competitive roster.  I have no idea what happens.  I can see Lithuanian guy back which makes me purge.  If NH was here Feliz would be here only for the fact you have to see if he can do something to make that lopsided deal for Cole not look as bad as it really is/was.

Any of Feliz, Crick, R-Rod, Stratton can go this spring if anyone else will give up something for them. Kela probably stays until mid-season. Holmes and Neverauskas either get people out or get waived.
shedman

Post by shedman »

0D272C1C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: The Bucs probably don't have any All Star level talent on their pitching staff but they have at least 16 pitchers that have performed well in recent years.

Rotation:

Bullpen:

___

The important factor in who stays and who goes is what decision postpones the year at which most of the pitchers can reach FA.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

153835242332256566570 wrote: I don't expect Holmes to make it. Feliz and Stratton are on thin ice.

I have no particular affinity for Holmes and your prediction is very likely to come true. However, I was really surprised at the incredible movement I saw on Holmes pitches last year....so much movement that he appeared to struggle harnessing it.

I am hoping Holmes, like all the players, can benefit from a new coaching staff, and maximize their talents. His chances are about up.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

50577B6C7A190 wrote: I don't expect Holmes to make it. Feliz and Stratton are on thin ice.

I have no particular affinity for Holmes and your prediction is very likely to come true.  However, I was really surprised at the incredible movement I saw on Holmes pitches last year....so much movement that he appeared to struggle harnessing it.   

I am hoping Holmes, like all the players, can benefit from a new coaching staff, and maximize their talents.  His chances are about up.
I just read that Holmes has no options left. So it's likely he'll make the roster.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Watched Kuhl pitch yesterday and heard the announcers talk about how he has changed his delivery with an eye toward reducing reoccurrences of arm trouble. Given the sheer numbers he's competing with, I reassert that Kuhl will open the season at AAA, most likely in the starting role he's familiar with, on tightly controlled pitch counts.

At least that seems like the most reasonable course of action.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

46416D7A6C0F0 wrote: I don't expect Holmes to make it. Feliz and Stratton are on thin ice.

I have no particular affinity for Holmes and your prediction is very likely to come true.  However, I was really surprised at the incredible movement I saw on Holmes pitches last year....so much movement that he appeared to struggle harnessing it.   

I am hoping Holmes, like all the players, can benefit from a new coaching staff, and maximize their talents.  His chances are about up.

https://rumbunter.com/2019/12/21/pittsb ... ay-holmes/